Brace Rule Tax Forebearance Approval

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I've been on the fence about sbr'ing a weapon. It has a brace. I have the opportunity to accomplish my goal without paying the $200. If the ruling is determined to be null, there's really 3 options I can think of:
    1. The approved sbr's stand - that gives me an sbr without having had to pay the tax
    2. The approvals are now void - that puts me in the same position I was in before an application was submitted
    3. Approved applicants are given the opportunity to pay the $200 tax to maintain the approval - that's the same as 2 but there should be no wait since the application had already been approved

None of the options I can think of puts someone in a worse position than they are now. I'm not sure how any of those would be a fustercluck but I guess it could be somehow. Are there any options you can think of that I may have missed?

1 is a pipe dream. I’d be shocked if that’s how it played out. Hopefully for y’all I eat my words later on but we’ll see.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    1 is a pipe dream. I’d be shocked if that’s how it played out. Hopefully for y’all I eat my words later on but we’ll see.
    I agree. But I wanted to cover all the possibilities. I'm leaning towards #3. The forbearance part can be taken away but an application will have been approved. And it won't surprise me if another lawsuit happens with choices 2 or 3.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Has anyone actually registered using their trust?

I added to my trust the day after the announcement. Then I noticed the verbiage was the firearms had to be in the trust as of January 13, 2023. Thinking I was SOL.

Now the ATF website says they had to be in before the date of final publication to the register; which would mean I’m good to go?

Also, are y’all uploading just the engraving image or of the entire rifle? The walk through guides I’ve seen don’t mention sending the picture of the entire firearm.

971B456B-6ACF-4448-9ED2-120EA095DD43.jpeg

Last edited:

UncleBiff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Chalmette
    Has anyone actually registered using their trust?

I added to my trust the day after the announcement. Then I noticed the verbiage was the firearms had to be i the trust as of January 13, 2023. Thinking I was SOL.

Now the ATF website says they had to be in before the date of final publication to the register; which would mean I’m good to go?

Also, are y’all uploading just the engraving image or of the entire rifle? The walk through guides I’ve seen don’t mention sending the picture of the entire firearm.

View attachment 137465
    There has not been any trust amnesty approvals yet as far as I have seen. You can check the NFA subreddit. People post their approvals. You can always pull your application and refile as individual. Then you can file a form 4 later to put into the trust.

I submitted pictures of the receiver 'markings only' with the serial number visible. I was approved. I see people get approved with 0 pictures.

Edit:

I spoke too soon.

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    There has not been any trust amnesty approvals yet as far as I have seen. You can check the NFA subreddit. People post their approvals. You can always pull your application and refile as individual. Then you can file a form 4 later to put into the trust.

I submitted pictures of the receiver 'markings only' with the serial number visible. I was approved. I see people get approved with 0 pictures.

Edit:

I spoke too soon.

Thank you for the information. Hopefully it works out, I guess I will give it a try.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    With the "Brace Rule" you can adopt the maker's markings on the "now" sbr instead of having to engrave your info on it. I sent a picture of the markings and the app was approved.

On a paid form 1 sbr you have to engrave your info or trust info as the maker on the lower.

Top Bottom