Brotherhood Of The Traveling 1858

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I am not sure how many people here are aware of the Brotherhood Of The Traveling 1858 that Pietta has going around right now. I thought I would share a little bit about it here for those who have not heard of it.

So, The Brotherhood of the Traveling 1858 is an engraved Pietta New Model Army "1858" that Pietta is nice enough to ship around the country and let people try it out.

The person gets to keep the revolver for a whole month. It comes in a big wooden box and comes with a journal. In the journal the people from Pietta wrote a few opening pages explaining the project and what the journal could be used for. Its pretty neat. While you have the gun they ask you to photograph it, share it with people you know, shoot it and just enjoy it for a month. Then it makes it's way onto the next person.

I follow lots of gun guys and have seen this make its way to several of the people that I follow online. In the journal the previous people have written words of encouragement, some scriptures, some just explain what they did with the gun or how it shot. Some detailed how they carried it to church or how they carried it while doing ranch duties.

One guy videoed himself splitting cards with it and he put one of the cards in the box.

I had hoped that one day it would make its way to me and that day has come. Last week I was contacted by Pietta and asked if I knew about the project and if I would want to be a part of it.

Of course I would I told Pietta. I was familiar with the project and had been hoping it would make its way to me.

Yesterday I got the package in the mail and I have to say. The gun is way more beautiful in person than the photos and videos I have seen. They just do not do it justice.

It's so cool for a company to do such a project and let us be a part of this guns written/photographed/videoed history.

We often say, "if this gun could talk", well, one day someone will look back and read of the journal and possibly see the videos or social media posts about it and this gun will actually be able to tell its story.

That is pretty neat in my opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_5413_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
      IMG_5413_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
      238.5 KB · Views: 102
    • IMG_5417_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
      IMG_5417_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
      238.5 KB · Views: 106
    • IMG_5414_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
      IMG_5414_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
      238.6 KB · Views: 101
    • IMG_5427_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
      IMG_5427_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
      228.7 KB · Views: 104

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    Do you send it back to Pietta when you're done ?
    Sure looks clean for a BP pistol that has been sent around to a bunch of strangers. They must clean it up before sending it out , or have more then a few to send.
    Post a video when you can.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Do you send it back to Pietta when you're done ?
    Sure looks clean for a BP pistol that has been sent around to a bunch of strangers. They must clean it up before sending it out , or have more then a few to send.
    Post a video when you can.
    I think they just forward a shipping label to me and I send it on to the next. They just this one that they are sending out with the wooden box, journal etc. That is the point of the project. One revolvers making and recording its history. Maybe Pietta is choosing people who have experience in shooting black powder firearms and know how to clean them properly. I have a Pietta 1851 that was my first one from many years back that still looks nearly new and has seen thousands of rounds through it. Other than normal holster wear it still looks great.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I haven't heard of it before but that's a very cool thing to be part of. I would be so happy to be part of something like that. It's a beautiful gun, but I don't know much about black powder guns. I've shoot 50 cal muzzle loaders and such, but not in years. You are a very lucky man to be part of this, enjoy and post videos of this experience please.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I haven't heard of it before but that's a very cool thing to be part of. I would be so happy to be part of something like that. It's a beautiful gun, but I don't know much about black powder guns. I've shoot 50 cal muzzle loaders and such, but not in years. You are a very lucky man to be part of this, enjoy and post videos of this experience please.
    Thanks. It's been going around to some of the guys I follow on IG. Was hoping it would make its way to me eventually.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    My elderly neighbor has this black powder pistol he wants to sell, but I didn't think it's worth much, but I told him I would clean it up and polish the brass as it's looking pretty rough. Told him put it on the mantel for a display only. Cool gun but it's not worth much but I like the look of it.

Attachments

• 20230529_175035.jpg
      20230529_175035.jpg
      897.5 KB · Views: 54
    • 20230529_175028.jpg
      20230529_175028.jpg
      906.2 KB · Views: 54

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Very cool.
    As far as black powder goes i only have one.
    A new in box SS Ruger Old Army and a few conversion kits.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Very cool new Girlfriend you got there. So what are your plans other than just putting lead down range. Does it have the velocity to set off tanarite? Can you bring a BP pistol to battlefield or old forts? Not to shot but just visit & video. Just don’t go to Fords Theater. Know anyone at sheriff office to let them play too. Most of them never see BP in action.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    My elderly neighbor has this black powder pistol he wants to sell, but I didn't think it's worth much, but I told him I would clean it up and polish the brass as it's looking pretty rough. Told him put it on the mantel for a display only. Cool gun but it's not worth much but I like the look of it.
    Yeah, they are not worth much but I prefer the brass tarnished like that. More of a yellow than a shiny brass.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Very cool new Girlfriend you got there. So what are your plans other than just putting lead down range. Does it have the velocity to set off tanarite? Can you bring a BP pistol to battlefield or old forts? Not to shot but just visit & video. Just don’t go to Fords Theater. Know anyone at sheriff office to let them play too. Most of them never see BP in action.
    Those are some pretty cool ideas. I dont think it has the velocity at 800fps or so. Especially not at safe distances. I plan to shoot it, tell about the project that Pietta is doing. Carrying it on my father in laws farm/ranch while we do some work. I am currently making a holster for it. I am not sure I will put it in the box because it may not fit but if I am going to have it a month I might as well have a holster for it.

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    ... great looking pistol..... personally have not had any experience with anything to do with black powder...... Neat video... you showed real life and not some type of professional production...... Nice looking holster... Will it continue the journey with the pistol or will you keep it................... drill sgt.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom