Brown Bear or Silver Bear .233 AMMO

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is your experience with Brown Bear .233 Ammo?

• No problems at all. I love it for shooting at the range.

Votes: 5 100.0%
    • Very minor problems, but will still use because it is cheap.

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Awful. I would switch to another caliber if that was the only ammo left.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Anyone have an feedback on this ammo?

Was gonna buy a case...but wanted to check with you guys first...thanks.

Edit: The Brown/Silver/Gold Bear ammo is manufactured by CJSC Barnaul Catridge Plant. Also, this is the 62grain FMJ.

I have fired the Monarch 55grain ammo from Academy, which is also made by barnaul and Prvi Partizan. So for almost a buck cheaper for 20 rounds, I figured it would be a good practice/plinking round.

Last edited:

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    I have some in .308, bought it when I had $ to burn, shot about 200rnds out of my dpms at the BZ a while back, just as good as my south african .308 ball ammo that cost twice as much

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    Wolf steel case is horrible, at least in my bushmaster. I'm guessing the steel casing expanded with heat and that's why it locked up in my gun. I had too many problems and would only use the wolf steel case in a last resort scenario.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Actually, the steel doesn't expand as much as brass does. Box o' truth has a nice writeup on it somewhere... The problem comes when you switch back to brass without cleaning first.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    Well, all I know is the first time I shot wolf steel case:

Live rounds became stuck in the chamber (firing pin hit but no "boom" and would not eject), had to take apart buttstock and remove bolt/charging handle to finally get it out. I thought it was a fluke, but it happened again a few rounds later. Using the laquered monarch from Academy, no problem at all, ever. Just my experience.

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I was reluctant to get the wolf for the AR. I shot the hell out of it in my glocks, and have put quite a few through the XDM, but after cleaning my RRA last night, lol, figured I would try a different brand of ammo for her.

So I bought only a few (500 rounds) of the Silver Bear 62grain and will give that a try. If it doesn't shoot well in my rifle, I will trade it to my friend & he can shoot it in his rifle. No biggie. If it shoots well, I'm going to buy some more. :twitch:

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I was reluctant to get the wolf for the AR. I shot the hell out of it in my glocks, and have put quite a few through the XDM, but after cleaning my RRA last night, lol, figured I would try a different brand of ammo for her.

So I bought only a few (500 rounds) of the Silver Bear 62grain and will give that a try. If it doesn't shoot well in my rifle, I will trade it to my friend & he can shoot it in his rifle. No biggie. If it shoots well, I'm going to buy some more. :twitch:

This is the best idea. Who knows. Maybe your rifle won't like it.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I tear up Monarch in my RRA, when I was filling up extra mags for the storm to put in my unit I loaded Monarch, I've never had a malfunction and it zeroes decently.

If brown bear is the same thing for less $, sign me up

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I tear up Monarch in my RRA, when I was filling up extra mags for the storm to put in my unit I loaded Monarch, I've never had a malfunction and it zeroes decently.

If brown bear is the same thing for less $, sign me up

That is what I have read! I should be getting some in tomorrow.

I was reading everywhere that people get XM138 ammo to store. I do not understand why. If the brown bear has a non-corrosive primer & sealed casing, why wouldn't people go for this? Esp. if it is stored properly?? Is it just the improved MOA/shooting accuracy? Is it the brass casing last longer & holds up better to long term storage? I would think for less than $5 a box, you could get and store more for SHTF preparing. :confused:

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Some ppl have a hard time running the steel cases through there ARs and onluy want to run brass cases. In my AR exept for one box of brass case ammo all I have ran through mine is steele case and the round count is over 1500.You just gotta lube it.

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks #1bam. I had a chance to run 60 rounds through the RRA. Monarch Steel, Monarch brass FMJ, and Monarch FMJ brass soft point all from Academy. No problems. I did shoot the steel first, so the barrel/gun wasn't heated up yet. I am not sure if this makes a difference. The barrel was warm, but not hot. I was shooting about 1 round every 2 seconds roughly but I know the rifle will shoot so much faster than I can pull that trigger. I need to practice speed & accuracy for sure!

I just got in the Silver Bear .233 and it is nickle coated & has FMJ hollow point. Not going to be doing anything today as the wind is still hauling a$$ over here, but will put some rounds downrange & report back. Still on the fence about the amount of Brown bear I will get. I will more than likely get half a case & split is with some friends to compare in different rifles, just for sake of knowledge.

Trent2

Ole Dead Eye
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    Oscar, LA
    The brown bear isn't bad ammo, but the silver bear is zinc coated and the coating tends to flake off in patches if it gets wet for any length of time.
    If you're going to use Bear stay with the brown, it's lacquered coated and weathers better.
    Just remember, not all guns like it though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom