building my first AR looking for some tips

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BluewaterLa

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Slidell La
    I would build one, honestly most parts are the same just different brand names in my opinion.
    for me its more about building the rifle and enjoying it at the range.
    This rifle is for you and things can be changed to your liking down the road.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Davidson Defense = NO
    Delta Team Tactical = NO
    Bear Creek Arsenal = NO
    Republic Firearms = NO

Anything else = sure..
    Buy once, cry once. Get quality parts the first time around. You'll be glad you did. Trust me. I learned the hard way.

Last edited:
    Reactions: BTH

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    The guys are right, buying a complete gun is a heck of a lot easier. BUT... if you wanna build, you wanna build. It's fun. Personally I like building em more than I like shooting em LOL

Most of the stuff requiring extreme finesse that can go sideways on you is in the upper, so if you want to start out with an "easy in" to builds, you could build a lower and buy a complete upper. Price and quality are all over the place, but I'd start one step up from rock bottom (PSA) if it were me, something like Ballistic Advantage or Aero (~450) would serve you well. If you want to get up into the ~750 neighborhood, maybe check out BCM or LaRue.

Good reading/parts list here, click the link at the top of the page for a parts list: https://www.reddit.com/r/ar15/comments/gm2lus/the_build_that_this_sub_is_going_to_recommend/

Good build video here: https://youtu.be/WG03RlUDkE8

Last edited:

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    First AR you build or first AR you own/build? If you don't have one at all, I would buy a factory-built rife first.

If you have one and want to build, my first piece of advice is to get a quality barrel from a reputable manufacturer

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    I have a couple decades experience of building ARs (to include the Army's armorer course) and much prefer building my own. I like Stag or Aero Precision for upper & lower receivers & BCG, Ballistic Advantage for barrels (Hanson profile is awesome & comes with a pinned gas block), DSG for lower parts kit, MagPul for stock & grip, and Aero Precision for hand guard.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I’m gonna go out on a limb and assume you already own one or more AR15’s and have decided to build one. I’m only assuming this because most everyone else appears to have assumed you want your first AR to be one you built.
    Decide what will suit your needs/wants first. Woods carry? Home defense? Lightweight carbine? Heavy barreled benchrest/sniper/swat rifle? Conversation piece?
    Start shopping for a receiver set and the barrel to fit the build.
    Nothing wrong with good forged receivers. I have way more of those than I do milled receivers. If you decide to go milled/Billet for whatever reason, stick with a reputable brand/model. I like Seekins. For a real nice quality without breaking the bank, Aero makes nice matched sets, some also include the handguard and fit together very nice. When barrel shopping, choose your gas system length and go from there. Carbine gassed for a lightweight carbine if it’s for something you want to be very mobile but you’ll also want a lighter profile. Pencil barrels and M4 barrels are plentiful and make good lightweights. If you don’t mind a little more weight, I highly recommend Anderson HBAR fluted .223 Wylde barrels for a great price and they’ve been hella accurate for me. If you want something to ring steel at 100-600 yards go straight to a mid length or rifle length gassed barrel, perhaps 18-20 inches. I’d consider ballistic advantage for this, but there are a few good barrels out there and a few to stay away from. It’s not always only decided by the price tag either.
    The rest is builder’s preference all the way down to charging handles and other controls, but I’d line everything up in my baskets before pushing the purchase button. Whatever you do not have tools for, try to buy already done. Ask for help when you need it/are in doubt or you’ll undoubtedly wind up spending more money. Also, realize and accept up front that you will likely spend more money building this rifle than you’d spend buying one already super close to what you want. Expect problems. The gun may not function flawlessly right off the bench.
    It’s fun to build YOUR ultimate AR, but you must understand that it’s going to be your ultimate. If you feel the need to build one that pleases everyone else and not yourself, you’re better off saving your money for hookers and blow.
    Good luck and have fun.

Edit:
    I’ve never had any problems with PSA receivers. You can find their built lowers for $120-140 right now.
    Their upper receivers are good too.
    Reasonably priced optics abound but for the money it’s hard to beat Vortex scopes. Lifetime warranty.

Last edited:

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Everyone has given answers to a question you have asked without asking What IS The MISSION . Do you want a gun to play soldier ? Long range shooting ? Home defense ? Varmint hunting ? Deer hunting ? Maybe suppressed Or a combination of some of the above . The answer to those questions will not change what brand upper and lower to get so much as the - barrel - gas block- sight system - muzzle device - trigger and even caliber . As far as what brand parts or even configuration it's a matter of opinion and you will get a lot of different opinions , some based on experience some on internet gossip .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    I have a couple decades experience of building ARs (to include the Army's armorer course) and much prefer building my own. I like Stag or Aero Precision for upper & lower receivers & BCG, Ballistic Advantage for barrels (Hanson profile is awesome & comes with a pinned gas block), DSG for lower parts kit, MagPul for stock & grip, and Aero Precision for hand guard.

One more thing: For your receiver extension / buffer tube, make sure you get it from a reputable manufacturer that uses 7075 aluminum. To be truly "Mil Spec", it needs to be 7075 aluminum.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I'll add this:
    I have done some AR assembling, I don't consider it building.
    One rifle I assembled was a 'budget match' from all take off, pre-owned, used - whatever parts.
    The 2 parts I bought new were:
    Lower Parts Kit and Bolt Carrier Group for 2 reasons.
    1 - Why clown around on either.
    2 - No cost savings for used anyway.

As far as building vs buying it is really not that big of a trill to me to assemble one. I have other outlets to do similar and have done over the years, so BTDT. Turning wrenches is turning wrenches on some level.
    See #2 - no cost savings anyway.
    Unless you get deals on parts - then see #1

That said, if you want to build one after reading everyone's advice, do it.

AndyG

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 3, 2019
    Lafayette, LA
    Personally a fan of Aero Precision's M4E1 uppers and lowers for DIY projects. Nice fit/finish for the price and easier to assemble than most thanks to a few clever design improvements. That being said, going with something prebuilt will better retain value if you end up wanting to sell/upgrade down the road.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Put your money into a quality trigger group, and a quality barrel.

If you're only going to build one, it's not worth it. Too much of an investment in tools. Buy a built rifle.

If you plan on building more, buy a barrel extension fixture to hold everything while you wrench on the barrel. https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Engineering-One-Piece-Construction-Gunsmithing/dp/B07MFR1685

personally I’d say skip the quality trigger and go with a quality bcg unless he’s looking for a precision rifle then I’d get both.

Real avid sells what they call the real avid AR15 master armorers kit that’s around $200 and has everything you need to do a complete build. Personally I don’t care for building I leave that to the professionals however the tool kit is still really good to have for doing your own maintenance or upgrades if you decide. Unless you want to take your gun to a gun smith every time you need something done which in a short time would cost more than the tool kit itself.

https://grabagun.com/real-avid-avar15amk-ar15-armorer-s.html

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom