building my first AR looking for some tips

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • georg jetson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    No, please, no.

If you want a rifle, buy or build a rifle.
    If you want a braced pistol, buy a pistol (and know that it could become randomly illegal in the coming months/years).
    If you want a SBR, buy a SBR and pay your $200 fee.

Hmmm. Maybe my post wasn't clear.

An ar type lower can be used for a rifle or a pistol. However, if it's purchased as a rifle initially, then it can't be changed to a pistol legally. So therefore the pistol offers more flexibility. You can buy an ar pistol with or without a brace and later if you decide, you can pin a rifle length upper to it and install a stock. However, you can't put a short barrel on a lower purchased as a rifle, even if you take the stock off, unless you go through the additional SBR process.

Even if braces become illegal, then you can still convert that pistol to a rifle without any additional paperwork by using a rifle length barrel and stock.

I hope no one thought I was suggesting to do anything illegal. I'm just correctly stating that there is more flexibility if you purchase an ar (stripped lower, complete lower or complete firearm) as anything but a rifle.

But if this is too hokey then I retract... We learn something new everyday. ;)

Last edited:

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    thinking about finally building an AR at some point soon and was looking for recommendations on good uppers and lowers and optics

If you can't find a Colt 6920 which are plenty around, E2 Armory makes good uppers and lowers at a good price. Make sure you torque everything to spec and use the proper techniques when staking and fitting parts... Have fun! Everyone should be able to build a gun!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If you can't find a Colt 6920 which are plenty around, E2 Armory makes good uppers and lowers at a good price. Make sure you torque everything to spec and use the proper techniques when staking and fitting parts... Have fun! Everyone should be able to build a gun!

E2 Armory is rebranded AO Precision. You would be better off buying something from PSA than E2 Armory.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Hmmm. Maybe my post wasn't clear.

An ar type lower can be used for a rifle or a pistol. However, if it's purchased as a rifle initially, then it can't be changed to a pistol legally. So therefore the pistol offers more flexibility. You can buy an ar pistol with or without a brace and later if you decide, you can pin a rifle length upper to it and install a stock. However, you can't put a short barrel on a lower purchased as a rifle, even if you take the stock off, unless you go through the additional SBR process.

Even if braces become illegal, then you can still convert that pistol to a rifle without any additional paperwork by using a rifle length barrel and stock.

I hope no one thought I was suggesting to do anything illegal. I'm just correctly stating that there is more flexibility if you purchase an ar (stripped lower, complete lower or complete firearm) as anything but a rifle.

But if this is too hokey then I retract... We learn something new everyday. ;)
    I understood your post as I’m sure other members did and you are correct. If we considered the what if’s every time we bought or built a gun I’m pretty sure there wouldn’t be as many being bought or built. The ATF will forever be on the hunt for the next thing to outlaw or ban. If we live our lives fearing what the ATF will do next we might as well just turn in our guns today. As far as I know, there’s only that one guy. The one who recorded himself sawing through his AR15. Im not going to be that guy, but looks like there will be a few to join him soon.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I understood your post as I’m sure other members did and you are correct. If we considered the what if’s every time we bought or built a gun I’m pretty sure there wouldn’t be as many being bought or built. The ATF will forever be on the hunt for the next thing to outlaw or ban. If we live our lives fearing what the ATF will do next we might as well just turn in our guns today. As far as I know, there’s only that one guy. The one who recorded himself sawing through his AR15. Im not going to be that guy, but looks like there will be a few to join him soon.

I think the point is that the AFT has announced their intention to limit how we can configure our AR braced pistols without violating the NFA.

If you read their proposal, it'll take a third year calculus student to figure out if a firearm is configured legally, or not.

Cajunpride

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2021
    Ossun
    If your located around Sunset/Opelousas area contact Chris at Half Cocked Arms. He’s really good and reasonable. He post a few of his builds for sale on Louisiana Sportsman classifieds. And he has a lot of quality parts you would have to order and wait for
    thinking about finally building an AR at some point soon and was looking for recommendations on good uppers and lowers and opti

Rose95

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    New Orleans La
    Paying attention to post count. That reminds me of our old friend, Mike. I wonder what ever happened to him or if he's enjoying his newest account :mamoru:
    sorry I've been offline for a while dealing with health stuff and actually forgot about this forum till just signing back on today I currently have finished putting one together off an 80% just for fun at the range but I appreciate everyone's input and advice thanks all

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom