building my first AR looking for some tips

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Mil-Spec as in, Cheapest product available that just barely meets contractual agreement?!
    I have to say that’s not really always the case. The reason original colts were so expensive is because every single piece on it was mil spec. Sure they have some better options available than mil spec but a true mil spec rifle or ammo are pretty high quality.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Put your money into a quality trigger group, and a quality barrel.

If you're only going to build one, it's not worth it. Too much of an investment in tools. Buy a built rifle.

If you plan on building more, buy a barrel extension fixture to hold everything while you wrench on the barrel. https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Engineering-One-Piece-Construction-Gunsmithing/dp/B07MFR1685

Forgot about this-really good advice. If you're spending money to build, might as well get a nice trigger

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Did the op forget he posted here or was he just asking to see if he could get an argument going . He never came back and answered the relevant questions about what the rifle would be used for or what caliber .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Came in to "stir the pot".. lmao... It was a new member with little to no history on the forum so.... I don't know about you guys, but I pay alot of attention to post count, time on site, feedback, etc...

Paying attention to post count. That reminds me of our old friend, Mike. I wonder what ever happened to him or if he's enjoying his newest account :mamoru:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Put your money into a quality trigger group, and a quality barrel.

If you're only going to build one, it's not worth it. Too much of an investment in tools. Buy a built rifle.

If you plan on building more, buy a barrel extension fixture to hold everything while you wrench on the barrel. https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Engineering-One-Piece-Construction-Gunsmithing/dp/B07MFR1685
    Hey, do you have one of those? My action rods are all steel (Geissele) and I’m wondering how the aluminum/steel will hold up. Wondering if they cast the vise block end to the steel bolt end or how they communicate and whether its a strong link. I’ve seen a rod made entirely of aluminum and I considered that because it looked beefy. Wheeler makes pretty good stuff but want to ask before I buy this.

Last edited:

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Paying attention to post count. That reminds me of our old friend, Mike. I wonder what ever happened to him or if he's enjoying his newest account :mamoru:

Post count if nothing else, says to me at least how active you are in the forum. The more active someone is, the less likely they are to try and "screw someone over", lie about something, etc ... The higher post count tells me they're more likely to "protect their reputation" on the forum. I could be way off base, but that's what I interpret...

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Post count if nothing else, says to me at least how active you are in the forum. The more active someone is, the less likely they are to try and "screw someone over", lie about something, etc ... The higher post count tells me they're more likely to "protect their reputation" on the forum. I could be way off base, but that's what I interpret...

Our good ole ex-friend Mike had a huge post count and lied all the time. But I digress, he's "gone" for now LOL

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    It's been 12-14 years since I built my last one of several. Yes I could have bought a quality AR for less, but could not have gotten the same specs, as in the ones I built. Several were in 6.5 Grendel, a couple of long barrel, heavy, bench/varmint types, one mid length carbine, some with gas piston systems ect. Everyone is mentioning specific parts manufactures which is ok. I recommend going with known hight quality parts. One thing I did not notice was the mention of tools. You will need an armor's wrench, or a specifc barrel nut wrench, possibly a torque wrench, and I would recommend an action block for the upper to encase and hold the upper receiver solidly in a vise while you are torquing /tightening that barrel nut which can be difficult and take a lot of force. Get some quality tools. You will also needd some small punches, special drive pin punches for roll pins are good, they have a small "nipple" that will fit into the end of the roll pin and prevent slipping. Bottom line parts and tools will not be cheap.

MikeBurke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2017
    Delcambre, LA
    thinking about finally building an AR at some point soon and was looking for recommendations on good uppers and lowers and optics

Aero Lower
    Parts kits from White Oak Armament
    Geissele High Speed National Match trigger
    MagPul UBR Gen 2 stock
    Spikes Tactical ST-T2 Buffer

I have used this basic combo with very good success on several builds

Uppers

I like good barrels, Shilen, Bartlein, Kreiger
    Geissele rails are top notch
    Upper receivers have been either Stag or Red-X because I use left handed uppers
    Geissele Super Precision scope mount 1.30 Tall (yes it is expensive, but is simply the best, and I am a snob when it comes to holding optics in place)

georg jetson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Just buy the rifle

Never buy a rifle. An Ar pistol can be converted to a rifle but a rifle can't be a pistol. Anything with a stock will transfer as a rifle... so buy a lower with no stock or a complete pistol. There may be some of you out there that know of a disadvantage to this, but I can't think of any.

One draw back to buying an ar rifle is that you need to keep track that it is a rifle so you don't decide to put an upper on it with a barrel shorter than 16 inches. With only 2 pins to pull, it's awfully easy to become a fellon.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Never buy a rifle. An Ar pistol can be converted to a rifle but a rifle can't be a pistol. Anything with a stock will transfer as a rifle... so buy a lower with no stock or a complete pistol. There may be some of you out there that know of a disadvantage to this, but I can't think of any.

One draw back to buying an ar rifle is that you need to keep track that it is a rifle so you don't decide to put an upper on it with a barrel shorter than 16 inches. With only 2 pins to pull, it's awfully easy to become a fellon.

If you buy a pistol they usually have a barrel less than 16" which if you put a stock on it to make a rifle makes you a felon. Having a short barrel upper and no form 1 lowers could be construed as intent and would make you a felon if you put a stock on the lower even having an upper with a 16" barrel. you don't want to give the ATF any reason to look at you cross-eyed.

If you want to buy a rifle, buy a rifle don't try and do some hokey pistol runaround BS just buy a rifle.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana

This is terrible advice

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

No, please, no.

If you want a rifle, buy or build a rifle.
    If you want a braced pistol, buy a pistol (and know that it could become randomly illegal in the coming months/years).
    If you want a SBR, buy a SBR and pay your $200 fee.

Top Bottom