Buy home in foreclosure

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    Is there anything special I should know about buying a home in foreclosure? I understand that the bank wants to have proof of funds, but once I buy it, it's mine correct?

I know with a tax sale, the owner has a certain time period where he can repay the taxes and interest to you, and the house is once again his. Is a foreclosure like that in any way?

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Is there anything special I should know about buying a home in foreclosure? I understand that the bank wants to have proof of funds, but once I buy it, it's mine correct?

I know with a tax sale, the owner has a certain time period where he can repay the taxes and interest to you, and the house is once again his. Is a foreclosure like that in any way?
    Nope. Apples and oranges. If a house has been completely through foreclosure, and you acquire it either at the sheriff sale or from the bank (who has reacquired it at sheriff sale) it is indeed yours. Keep in mind though that, just as with any real estate, there's always the potential for title issues, particularly if you buy it at the sheriff sale. Less chance of that if you're buying it from the bank afterwards.

In a tax sale, you are actually buying a tax lien on the property, nothing more. After 3-5 years, if the owners don't redeem it, you can acquire the property for real. There's another recent thread on these same issues, with some pretty good comments.

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    Nope. Apples and oranges. If a house has been completely through foreclosure, and you acquire it either at the sheriff sale or from the bank (who has reacquired it at sheriff sale) it is indeed yours. Keep in mind though that, just as with any real estate, there's always the potential for title issues, particularly if you buy it at the sheriff sale. Less chance of that if you're buying it from the bank afterwards.

In a tax sale, you are actually buying a tax lien on the property, nothing more. After 3-5 years, if the owners don't redeem it, you can acquire the property for real. There's another recent thread on these same issues, with some pretty good comments.

sent you an email.

Top Bottom