buying new vehicle out of state

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fng

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    Im considering buying/ordering a new vehicle from an out of state dealer, anyone have any direct experience with this?? Just looking to see what the potential downfalls are. There are still many dealers down here adding market adjustment costs and/or dealer installed options on top of msrp. I do appreciate that we are living in strange times right now, I understand the supply/demand issues but some of these dealers are really putting the screws to people when possible with these add ons. I have spoken to a few dealers of Ford and Toyota that are doing msrp and less without any add ons, looking at middle of the road trucks (f150 xlt, & Tundra sr5). Ill probably just order an f150 (not a ford guy/ brand loyalist at all- my research and quotes have consistently shown the f150 xlt with what I want in the truck is the better value compared to the similarly equipt sr5)
    Another hidden litle gem of info Ive learned so far in this process is majority of the high volume dealers Ive spoken to told me (when I inquired ) the OEM/ Factory extended warranty that can be bought as long as the vehicle is still under factory warranty is backed by the manufacturer and is a national product that is attached to youre VIN # and has no connection to which dealer sold it. This pretty much alleviated any concern I initially had about buying a vehicle from out of state from a repair standpoint and the dealers that Ive spoken to all confirmed this..

Last edited:

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    I bought my last one in MS. No big deal. You just have to pay tax when you get back. States next to us do this on a regular basis and know the details. If you buy here the dealer takes care of getting your tag, but you have to do it when you buy out of state. But it is no big deal.
    Mine is a GM and local dealers seem to appreciate the maintenance business.
    One item I didn’t like was the Baker motor vehicle location only takes cash for the tax and I really don’t like carrying that much cash!

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I flew out of state once to purchase a car, then drove it back. All went well but here are my thoughts on it.

You purchase a vehicle from a local dealer and you get better service, perhaps a more timely appointment or a shuttle service. It may not be an issue but its something to consider. They didn't make the profit from a sale, and well know it.

Just me but I would not purchase a vehicle I didn't demo drive/inspect first, sight unseen. I'm sure many people do purchase sight unseen today given today's market, but that's just me. A long shot but you purchase the vehicle and have it delivered. Maybe it has a scratches on it, or pulls terribly. The selling dealer will correct no doubt but they are going tell you to bring it back to them. I'd most def read dealer reviews on line before making any out of state purchase. Or they may be listed with the BBB. Do your do diligence before executing any purchase agreement. So many vehicles are sold sight unseen today major issues are prob a non issue. I'm just a very cautious person. I can tell you Carvana has some terrible reviews, people waiting 2 or 3 months for a title, or their docs to be processed. Also Carvana claims you have 7 days to return your purchase if your not pleased, but lots of unhappy carvana clients right now. Carvana not accepting returns sometimes. Carvana is on the rocks financially right now too.

Another thing, make damned sure they have the vehicle you want to purchase "in stock, on the lot" and available. Some of these dealers are pulling shenanigans right now. Its a seller's market, and they know it. Vehicles listed as "in transit" could arrive in a week, or 2 months. Some even claim to have a vehicle available, but do not. An example I went to Ross Downing (Hammond) yesterday to look at a new car and just chatting about the lack of vehicles and demand, the salesman told me it will be 18 months to 30 months before they have a new Corvette on the lot not spoken for or pre-sold. He has been working there for 10 years, so he's no rookie. And he seemed honest guy to me.

Another example, Ross Downing service appointments are two weeks out. It was the same about 3 or 4 months ago too when I was having an issue with my 10 year old Camaro. Many of the new car dealers have laid off workers BC of covid, or now BC of super low sales. Units available to sell on their lot.

As far as the out of state transaction, I paid for the car in full via a certified check I took with me to KY, then paid the LA taxes here when I got back and applied for my plate. What I'm getting at is you can wire them funds for payment, but you pay the sales taxes and plate fees here in LA. Least that is how it worked for me 12 years ago.

Good luck with it, just be shrewd about it.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Have not bought like that but the extended factory warranty part is true. Search online for a dealer that sells for that manufacturer or check the forums. There is usually a dealer that sells a ton of them over the phone for way less than some dealers charge when adding it to finance at the time of purchase.

fng

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    my plan, as it stands now is to bring my written quotes from the dealers ive talked to out of state back to the locals I started with and see if they can get close, as in close enough to discourage me from flying out and driving back..The extended warranty prices Ive recieved so far have been just over half what I was quoted by 2 seperate local dealers which led me to start looking out of state...Ive never bought an extended warranty on any vehicle Ive ever owned because I thought they were grossly over priced and I only kept my vehicles for 4-5 years back then. The one Im in now is 7 and no issues whatsoever (knocks on wood, lol) I just want to get something new sooner than later, and I plan to keep the new one 7/8 years

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    my plan, as it stands now is to bring my written quotes from the dealers ive talked to out of state back to the locals I started with and see if they can get close, as in close enough to discourage me from flying out and driving back..The extended warranty prices Ive recieved so far have been just over half what I was quoted by 2 seperate local dealers which led me to start looking out of state...Ive never bought an extended warranty on any vehicle Ive ever owned because I thought they were grossly over priced and I only kept my vehicles for 4-5 years back then. The one Im in now is 7 and no issues whatsoever (knocks on wood, lol) I just want to get something new sooner than later, and I plan to keep the new one 7/8 years

My present car is 10 years old. I don't purchase extended warrantees. Drivetrain factory warranties today for most new cars are 5 to 7 years. If you purchase a quality vehicle with a proven track record or reliability data, purchasing an extended warranty is unneccessary imo and simply adds to their profits. Extended warranties are nothing more than insurance. The issuers run the data (long term repair records and reliability data) and offer a plan. They do it to make money, not to make you feel more confident, or sleep better at night. Toyota is one of the best made vehicles on the market, and the data and owner's input prove it. Toyota's long term reliability data is better than Porsche, Ford, or Chevy.

Keep in mind this. What's driving the current new car pricing and dilemma is supply and demand issues. As i touched on above, the dealers are receiving very limited new stock. Look at any new car dealer in our region, and they prob have on their lot to sell 10 to 25% of the vehicles they had on their lots just 12 or 18 months ago. So they know they have to command a good profit on any unit to just survive right now. Why some vehicles are actually being sold for more than msrp. Ross Downing for example was selling 30 to 40 new units 36 months ago. They might be doing 10 to 20 units now. So go negotiate a good deal for you but realize they are not going to give you a vehicle at 3 or 4% over cost. Just isn't going to happen. Somebody else WILL buy that unit. They are trying to survive right now, to weather this storm. Why service appointments are 2 weeks out at my local dealer. They laid off many of their employees.

The new Corvettes are selling over msrp, sometimes 10 to 25% over msrp. Supply and demand. Just like the housing market about 2 or 3 months ago. High inflation, low product supplies, climbing energy costs, and we have not seen the worst of our economic woes yet. The fed raised interest rates again yesterday, .75%. The fifth rate increase in 2022, unprecedented in our history. Trying to quell the inflation in our nation. Meanwhile Biden handing out new subsidies and spending like it has little implications. Over one trillion dollars has been added to our deficit this year alone. Currently @ 31 trillion.

I hate to be a bearer of gloom but we haven't seen the worst yet. Tighten your personal budget and hold on to your cash. On a positive note, unemployment in Louisiana is at a recent all time low, 3.5%. That is pretty stunning really.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom