Camping 101 -

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    So the wife has a found interest tent camping which is odd as she's not the Outdoor type but I will gladly nurture this interest so she can appreciate the outdoors.

So in the beginning of this new interest we are just going to start with some over night stays at Tickfaw State Park and progress to multiple days. Additionally we'll start with improved sites (water/power and restroom within a short distance) and progress to unimproved sites where you either bring a port-a-potty or do your business in the wild.

What are some nice amenities or accessories you find useful in your camping experience and what provisions would you suggest first time campers bring for overnight excursions?

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    depends on what all you plan, here's A list to get you started:
    _ Tent or shelter
    _ Food - breakfast and Dinner. Bring lunch and personal snacks.
    _ Canteen or water bottle
    _ Trash bags, Ziploc bags
    _ Overnight Backpack/ Tote bag/ duffel bag (To put your stuff in)
    _ Day Pack (If you plan on hiking the trail this would be a good idea)
    _ Sleeping bag, sleeping pad / cot / air mattress and Pillow
    _ Good pair of hiking shoes (preferably high tops w/good treads)
    _ Camp shoes/ flip flops (Light weight lounge around shoes)
    _ Poncho or rain gear
    _ Flashlight or lantern
    _ Insect repellant
    _ Personal hygiene products: Toilet Paper, tooth brush, soap, shampoo, conditioner,
    razor, shaving cream, purell, medication, Etc
    _ Two towels and washcloths(one for Shower and one for floor of tent)
    _ First Aid Kit
    _ Knife and a Camp Axe
    _ Change of Clothes
    _ Hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, chap stick
    _ Rope (to hang up food so raccoons won’t get it.) or lock food in vehicle
    _ Camp Chair
    _ 2 Way Radio
    _ Fishing License if you plan on fishing and pole (unless you plan on catching with your
    bare hands)
    _ Canoe or Boat, lifejacket
    *That's a premade list from a group I've camped with - also plan on having plenty of ice, a camp stove, pots, cooking utensils (I've roasted hot dogs at Tickfaw while heating canned chilli in a pot on the camp fire).
    *seasoned (DRY) firewood, a fire starter log or 3 could be handy - the hatchet will get you more from trees already downed.
    *I refuse to sleep without at least a mat under me, preferably an air mattress... and I'm far from a girlie man - freaking gumballs in your back one night will convince you.
    *Camp stove could be handy if cooking over the camp fire doesn't work out as planned.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    oh yeah.... bring a pen and a note pad to keep in your pocket and make notes of everything that you realize you need that you didn't bring so that you'll have it next time ;)

sandman

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    St.Amant
    At Tickfaw the tent sites are real close to the bath house. Most of the improved sites are a lot further but you dont have power at the tent sites

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    +10000 on the thermarest!
    Go to campmor.com also before you buy. Stay out of walmart. Buy good stuff, you won't regret it.
    Cold sleepless nights is the surest way to drive your wife out of going camping and back into the mall.

I'm going to go against what most advise here. Do a quick weekend trip in a campground to test everything, then switch to remote outdoor camping. You'll have more fun away from drunk screaming kids... better to skip the amenities instead.

I remember staying in Flint Creek water park with a 'screamer' across the road. My wife did not appreciate that.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Thermarest what? campor has 83 listings for Thermarest products. Blanket? Pillow? Mattress?

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    +10000 on the thermarest!
    Go to campmor.com also before you buy. Stay out of walmart. Buy good stuff, you won't regret it.
    Cold sleepless nights is the surest way to drive your wife out of going camping and back into the mall.

I'm going to go against what most advise here. Do a quick weekend trip in a campground to test everything, then switch to remote outdoor camping. You'll have more fun away from drunk screaming kids... better to skip the amenities instead.

I remember staying in Flint Creek water park with a 'screamer' across the road. My wife did not appreciate that.

Wife didn't want to compete?

Therm-a-rest mattress. stuff all of your clothes into a pullover for a pillow, and get a nice comfortable (not nylon interior, some soft and "wicking" cloth) sleeping bag. Unless you like nylon, It makes me sweat all night.

Keep your sleeping bag and "pillow" rolled up until you want to use it if you want it to stay dry and warm.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Thermarest matress, though I'm partial to their z-rest pad. If its really cold I use both. If the budget is tight scrimp on the bag and spend on the matress! I don't like nylon interior either. If you're camping in the south stick with bags made with artificial fill, not down. Down doesn't work well wet.

Wife didn't want to compete?

Not that I didn't suggest it, but the other campsites around full of kids complained. Did I mention this was at 4pm? Wish I'd have brought my camcorder! The rangers showed up, found out what was going on, then drove their truck right up to the tent entrance and did a 'no knock' type raid while the rest of the campers cheered. LA SWAT would have been proud of that entrance! The couple was packed up and gone in no time!

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    wet wipes should be high on the list. me and the wife used to go 4wheeler riding for the weekend and for as long as 5 days. when you dont have running water and you only have so much water for drinking wet wipes are nice to clean up with before bed.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    another thing is a tarp just bigger than your tent and a cheap broom from dollar tree. i would put down a tarp before setting the tent this would help keep it from being dirty and wet when it came time to pack up and also the broom to clean it out. all of my friends always had to go home and set their tents back up to let them dry and to clean them out i never did. everyone laughed at me when i would break the broom out of the toolbox of my truck but then they all wanted to use it.

Poopshooter

Join the Resistance
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Walker town USA
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hv9uLdF5ZA[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vz3ZD-hCQE&feature=related[/ame]

http://www.state.tn.us/environment/parks/FallCreekFalls/

I do alot of camping. But Fall creek falls is the best place to go. No lie. It worth going up there.

I go once a year or try too. I rent one camp site, then go on a 3 day hike from one side of the park to the other. I bring what I need and live off the land. There is a lake and 100s of streams to fish out of. I caught 23 bass from 5am to 8am one day in a stream that runs off the big lake. Its mind blowing!!!!!! Brown trout, brim, bass, paper mouth, and a few other fish I wasnt real what they where.

Go there, its worth the trip and you will not regret it. I have never been to a place, that took my breath away like fall creek falls does.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    New Orleans, Lafayette, and SC
    oh yeah.... bring a pen and a note pad to keep in your pocket and make notes of everything that you realize you need that you didn't bring so that you'll have it next time ;)

+1

I always forget ****, then forget about it. So the next time I am out I forget the same stuff, or something else. I just write a big list and keep adding to it for occasions.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hv9uLdF5ZA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vz3ZD-hCQE&feature=related

http://www.state.tn.us/environment/parks/FallCreekFalls/

I do alot of camping. But Fall creek falls is the best place to go. No lie. It worth going up there.

I go once a year or try too. I rent one camp site, then go on a 3 day hike from one side of the park to the other. I bring what I need and live off the land. There is a lake and 100s of streams to fish out of. I caught 23 bass from 5am to 8am one day in a stream that runs off the big lake. Its mind blowing!!!!!! Brown trout, brim, bass, paper mouth, and a few other fish I wasnt real what they where.

Go there, its worth the trip and you will not regret it. I have never been to a place, that took my breath away like fall creek falls does.

I've been to Fall Creek Falls twice. Once during the summer and swam in the pool (just before the falls) and once in the winter and saw the falls froze over. Let me tell you something. Walking up to the edge of a water fall is scary $h1t! :eek3:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom