Camping Boxes - What do you use?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scrape

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2024
    French Settlement
    Years ago when I lived in New Mexico I camped/explored/scouted and hunted nearly every county in the state. Three weekends a month was normal until I got married…..

I had 4 Rubbermaid plastic heavy duty hinged boxes I used for stowing my gear. One had the tent and accessories, one was cooking items; stove, utensils , dry food stuff etc.. one for clothing and the other for all the other misc things one might need.

Those boxes were far more durable than anything Rubbermaid offers now. Mine were strong enough for an adult to sit on if the top was latched down.

I only have one of those boxes left. I’m getting my great nephew into hunting and camping with me, we started last year. I’ve tried to find a couple more durable boxes, but am disappointed in the current selections I have found so far.
    I’m really not wanting to spend the coin on some of the high end boxes Yeti and similar brands cost. Looking for something sized around 36” long x 18” wide.

Wondering what some of you guys are using.

Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I use the Plano sportsman trunks for more durable storage. They hold up well but probably not strong enough to stand on but very stackable. They come in different sizes but I have the smaller ones so I can move them easier.

Plano Sportsman's Trunk, Black, 14-Gallon Lockable Storage Box

Scrape

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2024
    French Settlement
    Thanks, I failed to mention I do have a couple of Plano boxes, less quality of the sportsman model. I believe I have looked at the sportsman model at academy. I’ll revisit them.
    Magellan has a waterproof an Outdoors Pro model which Academy has on their website, but I have not seen in the store.

sethtvaughn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 10, 2019
    Louisiana
    Thanks, I failed to mention I do have a couple of Plano boxes, less quality of the sportsman model. I believe I have looked at the sportsman model at academy. I’ll revisit them.
    Magellan has a waterproof an Outdoors Pro model which Academy has on their website, but I have not seen in the store.

I have the 50L Magellan and really like it. Has a divider, hinges to open to both sides, waterproof, and also pouches on the inside of the lid. I use it on canoe trips to store some of my gear. I would recommend them if you want something durable and a step up from a basic box with minimal latches. They are a little pricier, but way cheaper than the high end stuff.

Scrape

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2024
    French Settlement
    I have the 50L Magellan and really like it. Has a divider, hinges to open to both sides, waterproof, and also pouches on the inside of the lid. I use it on canoe trips to store some of my gear. I would recommend them if you want something durable and a step up from a basic box with minimal latches. They are a little pricier, but way cheaper than the high end stuff.

Scrape

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2024
    French Settlement
    Thanks for that info. I was hoping someone had feedback on the Magellan box.

I like the seal on the lid. Are there strong enough to sit on when closed up tight?
    My great nephew with thru one of my cheap ones before I was able to tell him not to….

The Magellan 92L is $100. Lot less than equal size high end stuff that I would be scared someone would ‘need’ more than me whilst out of camp. Losing a cheap one to theft still sucks

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    I use heavy duty Dewalt rolling tool boxes. They are pretty big and bulky, but very solid. Keep all gear dry and protected and strong enough to sit or stand on if needed. I’ll find a link to what I’m talking about and post shortly.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    167   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I bought afew of the original Plano boxes with wheels and the good locking tops. Problem is, now none of the Plano boxes has the rubber gasket in the lid. Second choice is a black Remington box that’s not as big but seals up airtight.

Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for that info. I was hoping someone had feedback on the Magellan box.
    My local Academy had both the Plano Sportsman and the Magellan yesterday. I agree that the Magellan seemed more sturdy and I liked the latch designs better.

There’s a pretty big difference in costs but both are a huge step up from the basic totes.

Scrape

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2024
    French Settlement
    The dewalt box is very nice. Have not yet seen the Remington one yet.
    I think I’m going to order the Magellan 92L box.

I don’t mind spending a bit more for any quality box that will far outlast the ones I have.
    Thanks for yall’s help. Appreciate it!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Years ago when I lived in New Mexico I camped/explored/scouted and hunted nearly every county in the state. Three weekends a month was normal until I got married…..

I had 4 Rubbermaid plastic heavy duty hinged boxes I used for stowing my gear. One had the tent and accessories, one was cooking items; stove, utensils , dry food stuff etc.. one for clothing and the other for all the other misc things one might need.

Those boxes were far more durable than anything Rubbermaid offers now. Mine were strong enough for an adult to sit on if the top was latched down.

I only have one of those boxes left. I’m getting my great nephew into hunting and camping with me, we started last year. I’ve tried to find a couple more durable boxes, but am disappointed in the current selections I have found so far.
    I’m really not wanting to spend the coin on some of the high end boxes Yeti and similar brands cost. Looking for something sized around 36” long x 18” wide.

I use these:

They're cheap and plenty durable. If you break one it's only $20/box.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    I gave up tent camping a number of years ago but we do take the camper out from time to time. I normally overpack on tools incase i have a breakdown. Ithey arent the cheapest but the large milwaukee packout box holds quite a bit of stuff, is weather proof and can be sat on. There is also quite a following with them which brings tons of assessories. I have the large and the ammo can size and use them frequently for trips, hauling tools to the camps etc. I also laugh to myself a bit every time i load them full of my dewalt tools...

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    167   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Used a couple of mine this weekend up the Bogue Chitto so I thought I’d post up again. The round hollow weather stripping is readily available if you happen to find the Plano boxes with the channel around the lid. The Remington boxes don’t have wheels and are a bit smaller, but overall a tougher water tight option.

Attachments

• IMG_5316.jpeg
      IMG_5316.jpeg
      686.4 KB · Views: 8
    • IMG_5317.jpeg
      IMG_5317.jpeg
      477.7 KB · Views: 8
    • IMG_5319.jpeg
      IMG_5319.jpeg
      894.2 KB · Views: 7
    • IMG_5318.jpeg
      IMG_5318.jpeg
      482 KB · Views: 8

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central

What are your requirements ? Size , airtight , etc. ?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dangray
    Top Bottom