Camping Menu?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    I'm pretty sure I've got the camping menu figured out, but open to suggestions.

In the past when camping with kids and grandkids it seemed like I spent all my time cooking and cleaning up rather than participating in fun activities. In the future I plan on cereal and honeybuns for breakfast, sandwiches/chips/fresh fruit for lunch, snack bars and GORP for snacks, and only cook one meal a day. On an extended trip this might be stew one night, burgers/hotdogs another, hobo meals in foil cooked in the coals of a campfire, chili, etc.

Looking for further suggestions, ideas with limited preparation and cleanup.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'm pretty sure I've got the camping menu figured out, but open to suggestions.

In the past when camping with kids and grandkids it seemed like I spent all my time cooking and cleaning up rather than participating in fun activities. In the future I plan on cereal and honeybuns for breakfast, sandwiches/chips/fresh fruit for lunch, snack bars and GORP for snacks, and only cook one meal a day. On an extended trip this might be stew one night, burgers/hotdogs another, hobo meals in foil cooked in the coals of a campfire, chili, etc.

Looking for further suggestions, ideas with limited preparation and cleanup.
    I eat Peak Meals on every backpacking trip I go on. Just add boiling water and you've got a really solid meal that's got ~50g of protein. My wife even likes them enough where we've had them at home before, LOL.

They're super easy and when you're done, you have nothing to clean up.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Steaks are easy to cook in a small cast iron skillet over coals. If we stay 2 or 3 nights I’ll precook a chili, red beans and rice, soup etc and freeze it. Use it as ice in the cooler and cook/reheat in a single pot for a hot meal.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    what kind of camping are we talking here? backpacking, driving to and putting up a tent or rv? i'm not a backpacker, have pretty much given up tent camping but did quite a bit in my younger years. we have a camper these days so have different facilities available now.

marinetaco01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Madsionville, LA
    only advise I’ve got for car camping is I prep everything ahead of time and pre cook what I can. I hate spending time cleaning as it takes away from time I can spend doing things with the kids.

Chili pre made and frozen has been a go to for dinners. Didn’t see it mentioned yet.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    what kind of camping are we talking here? backpacking, driving to and putting up a tent or rv? i'm not a backpacker, have pretty much given up tent camping but did quite a bit in my younger years. we have a camper these days so have different facilities available now.

I should have added details in my original post. Usually this is driving to the site and putting up tents(s). Mostly a family expedition, anywhere from 10-20 people. Most recent trip was to the Buffalo River in Arkansas for 5 days, canoeing, hiking, bike riding.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Steaks are easy to cook in a small cast iron skillet over coals. If we stay 2 or 3 nights I’ll precook a chili, red beans and rice, soup etc and freeze it. Use it as ice in the cooler and cook/reheat in a single pot for a hot meal.
    This is the way to do it imo. Maybe cook one large meal while at the camp if staying for a few days.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I should have added details in my original post. Usually this is driving to the site and putting up tents(s). Mostly a family expedition, anywhere from 10-20 people. Most recent trip was to the Buffalo River in Arkansas for 5 days, canoeing, hiking, bike riding.
    Oh, in that case, the world is your oyster.

Steaks
    Sausage
    Cast iron pan pizza
    Hot dogs
    Potatos wrapped in foil cooked in coals (add bacon grease around the potato for more yum yum)

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    10-20 people really eliminates you doing much time saving options. Sounds like its time to just suck it up and accept you are the camp bitch. Once you do that, you can begin recruiting helpers. Once you aquire and train said helpers you will become the camp master... then you can plan and direct the meals but the son in laws, brothers, cousins and similar do the work while you drink cold bear and orchastrate. If you do it any other way then its likely wrong.

On a more serious note. Ive found larger groups like that respind well to grilled/bbq chicken quarters or bonless thighs. Preferably bonless thighs. They cook quick, they are forgiving and reheat well. Start them off on foil on charcoal or gas. Get them partially done then yank the foil and cook the rest of the way with or with out sauce. I prefer with. Caramelize a good sauce on them like some kinders gold and then chow down.

Another affordable and great option is thick cut boneless pork chops. Ive started buying thcok as in 1 1/4" thick bonless chops and sewring them like a good steak and finishing them around 140. They are damn near as good as a steak. You can buy a whole loin and slice as you want and cooke them up. Rhey reheat well as well. Burgers are also an easy one. Especially if you buy some good quality premade patties. Rhey cost a bit more but can cook from frozen and have been a favorite with my bunch.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Like 3fifty7 said, cook ahead. Pour it in a Walmart wide mouth screw top container. Gonna give you an award winning easy veggie soup.
    Beef is optional and delicious as is any type of pasta precooked and thrown in on the warm up.

1 onion minced or in the food processor
    1 gallon V-8 juice. Get the spicy if your crew allows or mix one of each for a little fire, but plain is great too.
    Large can of stewed tomatoes, any style.
    Diced potatoes, carrots, cut canned green beans, canned corn and any other veggies you like.
    Add juice, stewed tomatoes, minced onion, and the raw veggies, cover and low rolling boil them to death, along with browned beef stew meat. No real need for seasoning, but taste test once taters are tender, then add your fully cooked canned veggies of choice. Final heat, simmer, stir and the total cook time should be about 40 minutes. The precooked stuff should be thrown in later so it doesn’t get cooked down to nothing.
    This is an amazing soup that my buds have asked for at campouts. It’s great with cornbread, btw.

We always do a big breakfast. I have cowboy coffee pots that I ready before I bed down and spark them off as soon as I exit the tent. I fill up a big pump carafe and people just show up. Cooking on a campout does take extra time and gear, but if you plan ahead, it shouldn’t rob you of fun time while you’re out.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom