Can a Honda EU 3000 handle two of these?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    This is great, thanks! Especially the formulas for watts and amps.
    I'll have to also see if the outlets I want to use are on the same breaker.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I use a Honda EU3000, backfeeding my breaker panel to power the whole house.
    Please note that all the 220 breakers are turned off.
    I'm not stating it runs everything at once, just everything "has" power.
    I run 1 small temporary AC like that in a bedroom window.
    The killer will be the startup of the compressor itself.
    Amps x volts = watts
    If the 2 units compressors would not start together you might be OK.

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Ok. It has an econoboost switch, which I can run usually with one 5k btu unit.(until I kick on the coffee pot) That won't be feasable with THIS application unfortunately, but I don't care as long as the Gen can handle both units.
    I'd guess that if the compressors of both units happened to kick on at the same time I may have problems?

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Mine handles most everything we throw at it.
    It doesn't like the toaster oven.
    I've used it on job sites to power a small mig welder, grinders, etc.
    You could always run 2 with the parallel cable accessory with the Eco switch on.

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Thanks all. Will prob buy/run with two AC units this weekend.
    So if I put up a classifieds "used, 6K BTU window unit, only 30 SECONDS of use", y'all will know the answer to this question...

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La
    I use a Honda EU3000, backfeeding my breaker panel to power the whole house.
    Please note that all the 220 breakers are turned off.
    I'm not stating it runs everything at once, just everything "has" power.
    I run 1 small temporary AC like that in a bedroom window.
    The killer will be the startup of the compressor itself.
    Amps x volts = watts
    If the 2 units compressors would not start together you might be OK.

When you back feed your house, the primary issue is NOT that the 220 breakers (or any breakers for that matter) are off. The real problem is that unless you have a throw switch on the primary feed to the house or unless you have physically disconnected your house from the grid (usually by pulling the meter), then you are losing power back to the grid (I.e, overhead lines). And before you say "that's ok I have enough power to still run what I need to" - again that's not the main issue. The big concern is electrocuting those guys working on the lines.

You may have already known this stuff but just figured it wouldn't hurt to remind others.

Be safe.

Last edited:

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    So I ran both ACs over the weekend. By starting them with the generator off of the economy option/switch (runs at high rpm) and starting the units one at a time, it was able to run both ACS, 3 sets of flouresent lights and a TV.
    Only problem was if both ACs cycled back on at the same time, it would snap the breaker.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    The problem with devices that have compressors (air conditioners, refrigerators etc) is not the amount of amps they draw while running, it's the amount of amps they draw when starting. It's very important to look at the Max output of the generator along with it's continuous output. And how long it will maintain that max output.

For example, a full size fridge might draw 7 amps while running but it will need twice or even three times that for a few seconds to start. I found this out the hard and expensive way. I bought a 2k watt Yamaha generator thinking that all I wanted to run in an emergency was the fridge, a fan, and the tv. Looking at all the labels on the equipment I had plenty of power to run them all. And I did. What I didn't have was enough watts to start the fridge. And I've never seen a power consumption label on any appliance that listed the starting watts needed. Only the running amps.

So make sure any generator you buy has enough starting watts and a long enough duration to power up the appliances you want to run.

The generator I have now is rated at 5000 watts continuous with a max output of 6700 watts and can maintain it for 30 seconds. Plenty of time and power to start my fridge and window unit at the same time.

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    If you want to know what a generator can power look for the UL label on the device. This label will list the voltage and generally the maximum amperage or wattage that the device will draw.

For instance this label says the coffee maker will draw 1600 watts @ 110 volts. It also says 16 watts which is actually more than 1600 watts. You then apply the simple formula volts x amps = watts and salve for the missing variable. So for instance 16 amps/110 volts = 1,760 watts.

A 5.5 kw generator produces 5,500 watts or 5500 watts/240 volts = 22.91 amps at 240 volts likewise 5500 watts/110 volts = 50 amps at 110 volts

a 15 amp house hold socket should be used to draw at most 1,650 watts 110 volts x 15 amps = 1,650 watts.

label.jpg

Top Bottom