can you help clarify (LA res selling long gun to nonLA res in person?)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boogaloo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2022
    boonies
    Hello, would appreciate some clarification/advice. I am a non -LA resident (not CA, I can purchase firearms legally out of state), flying in to visit a friend in LA and go deer hunting with him. He has an old rifle he was going to sell to me. Sale would be in person and I would fly with it home. Can you please confirm which of these options (A, B or C) is legal as it looks like private party sales in LA are legal without involving a FFL, but maybe not for non residents?

A. He sells me rifle as a private in person sale. It is now in my legal possession. I fly with it home to my state. We both get a bill of sale for our records of the sale.

B. We go to a FFL and he sells it to me privately in person, after I have filled out an ATF Form 4473 and do a NICS background check.I pay a transfer fee to the FFL for doing this. I fly with it home, with a bill of sale.

C. He ships it to my local FFL in my state. I complete ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check at my local FFL in order to pick up.

I'm pretty sure A would only work if we were both LA residents. Can B work so I can just fly with it home and not pay shipping? I'll be bringing the rifle i'm hunting with in a double gun case so I would have room to bring it home with me. Almost 100% sure C is the normal legal route for out of state transactions but I don't want to have to pay shipping.

BONUS Question. He also just upgraded his concealed carry and we have bounced around the idea of him selling me his old handgun too. Can we do B for that also or would option B only work for a long gun. Pretty sure I'd have to do C

Thanks in advance

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    This is in like the top 5 post in the section you posted in… kinda weird all these “new members” asking the same kinda seed planting questions… seen this in other forums and never ended up good, but who knows, maybe I’m gun shy lol… maybe that post will answer your question…

Btw pretty good first post, welcome to the club

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I'd say C for the long gun and definitely C for the handgun, especially since they aren't conjoining states. Interstate travel is the only thing the federal gov't technically can regulate, don't risk it. Ship 'em both together and save a few bucks

boogaloo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2022
    boonies
    This is in like the top 5 post in the section you posted in… kinda weird all these “new members” asking the same kinda seed planting questions… seen this in other forums and never ended up good, but who knows, maybe I’m gun shy lol… maybe that post will answer your question…

Btw pretty good first post, welcome to the club

Thank you. I can understand that seeing the same question posted again and again can be annoying and I did see that post. But he was referencing handguns which the laws are more strict regarding transactions, so imo that's where I thought my long gun situation was different, but it looks it still requires shipping to a FFL in my state. Thank you all for the help

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    An FFL can directly transfer a long gun to a non-resident but can only transfer handguns to a resident of the FFL's state. Answer = C for the handgun.

A non-FFL person can directly transfer a long gun or handgun only to another resident of the same state.

So, for the rifle, you and your friend can go to an FFL and transfer the rifle to you, and you pay your friend (and the FFL transfer fee). Answer = B for the rifle.

boogaloo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2022
    boonies
    So, for the rifle, you and your friend can go to an FFL and transfer the rifle to you, and you pay your friend (and the FFL transfer fee). Answer = B for the rifle.
    See this is where it gets confusing bc I thought this would be an option (B). I suppose I need to call around first to find an FFL by where my buddy lives and would agree on this to facility the transaction.

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    Since an FFL looks to be the option no matter what, I say show up at the FFL and ask him/her.

Either way, long gun and handgun have to be checked and secured to fly, no carry on.

boogaloo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2022
    boonies
    Since an FFL looks to be the option no matter what, I say show up at the FFL and ask him/her.

Either way, long gun and handgun have to be checked and secured to fly, no carry on.
    Yea i think that's what I will do.Try to find an FFL in LA that will facilitate the in person transfer with the form 4473 and background check so it's all legit before I fly home and if we can't find anyone, worst case scenario is just have him ship it to my local ffl when I get home and pay the shipping and the transfer fee in my home state. Definitely won't do A and probably not going to deal with the handgun either

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    My son in law lives in Ohio. He recently won a gun in a raffle held here in LA. He picked it up at the gun shop here and did the 4473. Took it back to Ohio. Also I was with a friend at a gun show in Oklahoma, he bought a long gun from a dealer who did the 4473 and he drove the gun home. I have asked several out of state dealers if I can buy a long gun and take it home, all have said yes.
    Since no 4473 is required for person to person sales and long guns can be bought in another state without need to ship to a dealer in the buyers state I don't see an issue. Admittedly the law does not directly cover such a situation. With handguns it does.
    Although I don't see an issue with A I would with go with B simply because the airline will be involved.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom