Car/Mechanic Related Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I don't know where to put this, but I have a question for the mechanically inclined people here.

The DRL light in my SUV came on today. The highbeams and daytime running lights do not work, but the regular headlights do. It says to bring it in to have the dealer look at it, but the last few times I've gone in, they've charged me exorbitant amounts of money and made me wait 2+ hours for petty things like an oil change. I hate waiting and dealing with all the dealership drama.

I've changed out my taillights before, but never headlights. Is this something I can do on my own by just picking up bulbs from AutoZone?

Thanks!!!

RSC

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    If all of them went out at once, it's more likely a fuse or relay than bulbs. Check your fuse boxes for any related fuses (probably under the hood) and check relays. You can't tell if relays are bad by looking at them, but you can swap with an identical known good one temporarily (horn relay for example).

If it is just bulbs, yep super easy to change yourself. Any auto parts store will be able to tell you what bulbs you need.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Unless you have HID, headlights are usually a twist...pull...remove retaining clips and bulbs....reverse operations...done. type deal. If you can do tail lights, you can handle this I think.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    If all of them went out at once, it's more likely a fuse or relay than bulbs. Check your fuse boxes for any related fuses (probably under the hood) and check relays. You can't tell if relays are bad by looking at them, but you can swap with an identical known good one temporarily (horn relay for example).

If it is just bulbs, yep super easy to change yourself. Any auto parts store will be able to tell you what bulbs you need.

I have zero confidence in fixing anything fuse related, so I'm hoping its just a bulb issue.

If anything I can try to enlist my neighbor in helping me lol.

What are HIDs? Sorry, I'm not a car person haha.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I have zero confidence in fixing anything fuse related, so I'm hoping its just a bulb issue.

If anything I can try to enlist my neighbor in helping me lol.

What are HIDs? Sorry, I'm not a car person haha.
    Fuses are super easy. Owners manual tells you where they are and which one goes to what is on the underside of their housing cover. The $0.99 fuse puller pliers are nice.
    HID makes that pretty bright light with the shiny bug eye looking projector lens under the headlight housing cover.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Fuses are super easy. Owners manual tells you where they are and which one goes to what is on the underside of their housing cover. The $0.99 fuse puller pliers are nice.
    HID makes that pretty bright light with the shiny bug eye looking projector lens under the headlight housing cover.

Haha ok. This will definitely be a learning experience.

And yeah, I don't think I have those headlights lol.

Lokin4AReason

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    behind a desk ....
    even the fuse panel cover has a diagram ( it can be a sticker or etched into the plastic ) on the under side of the cover ...

its fairly simple change ... out comes the used one and in goes the new one ....

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    even the fuse panel cover has a diagram ( it can be a sticker or etched into the plastic ) on the under side of the cover ...

its fairly simple change ... out comes the used one and in goes the new one ....

Sorry to sound weak, but I seriously do recommend the little yellow fuse pliers, some of them can be a PITA, especially if they are all wedged in there tight where you can't get a finger at them.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for all the help guys! I checked the fuses before I left for work and none of them seem to be out. I called my dad and he thinks it's a bulb issue. So I'm going to pick up some bulbs today or tomorrow and get this thing all fixed up.

Hopefully taking apart the headlight assembly isn't too difficult.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks SpeedRacer!

If I have any problems changing everything out tomorrow I'll be sure to come back here and vent my frustrations. Or go see this Vince guy.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Don't go to the stealership, go se vince, lsvince is his handle on here you can trust him and they will help you.

+1

I would honestly say, though, that not all Dealerships are horrible. Chevyland here in Shreveport did a TON of work on my WS6 gratis, and sold me parts at 10% over dealer cost back when I was broke as a joke and in college. I am a no-body and didn't have "a hook-up" there, either.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    If your bulbs don't fix it supply me the year and model EX, LX. Below is a possibilty.

2002 CR-V 2.4 2005 CR-V 2.4
    2003 CR-V 2.4 2006 CR-V 2.4
    2004 CR-V 2.4

Customer Concern: No high beam headlights. The low beams work OK.
    Average Reported Mileage: 110901
    Tests/Procedures: 1. At the combination switch, ground the Red/Blue wire to see if the high beams come on. If so, the combination switch is faulty.

2. If grounding the wire at the combination switch does not operate the lights, go to the connectors at the dash fuse box and repeat the test.
    Tech Tips: The light circuits pass through the dash fuse box, the multiplex control unit does not operate the headlights, the headlight/dimmer switch provides the ground for the headlights

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Totally successfully changed the bulb today! Super proud of myself for doing it independently. Yeah, yeah, yeah, judge me for figuring out how to change a lightbulb. I'm just going to do the happy dance over here before I finish my food prep.

:bravo:

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom