Carbine question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA
    I’ve always had mid length gassed rifles but I just ordered a DD 14” carbine length barrel. Is there anything quirky about the gas systems? Rifle will be suppressed. Should I go with an adjustable gas block? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA
    Sorry, I wasn’t clear in my original post. I mean, is there anything quirky about carbine length gas systems? I’m running an adjustable block on my 12.5” suppressed 6.8 but that’s also a mid length. Thanks again

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Carbine and rifle length were the original gas lengths. Carbine on 16" barrels or less. Mid length came later, it is slightly gentler on a 16" barrel length. More time for powder to burn and the gas tube pressure is slightly less than carbine length.
    Carbine length works, its just a more violent impulse vs mid on a 16" barrel.

I would go with an adjustable gas block on a suppressed AR15. I run the Superlative block. When you put a suppressor on a shorter barrel AR, it adds considerable back pressure on the system, way more port pop. And the effective backpressure is dependent on how efficient X suppressor is. I run a YHM Turbo 2 on 556 in multiple barrel lengths. From 11.5 to 16". the AGB allows you to tune the gas system, or tame it. 90% of factory AR15 pistols and rifles are over gassed anyways, BC over gassed works every time. Larger gas port in barrel. Less issues or returns for manufacturers and vendors.

Another good addition is JP silent captured spring. Quiets the twang out of the buffer spring/buffer tube. Which becomes way more noticeable suppressed. Not necessary but a nice addition. I've read of some guys using a LOT of grease in the buffer tube, but I'm not going that route.

Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA
    Your setup is very similar to my 12.5” 6.8 SPC II rifle. I run the Superlative adjustable GB, JP Silent Capture and a Dead Air Sandman S in a mid length gas system. The adjustable GB was the key to getting the gun to cycle properly.

I’ll also be running a JP Silent Capture on the carbine gun and I’m goi g to pick up another superlative adj. GB. For now I’ll run the Sandman on the carbine (556) but as soon as I can order Dead Air’s new 556 can, I’ll buy it for for the new gun.

Thanks for the reply

UncleBiff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Chalmette
    I got the superlative bleed off/adjustable block on my suppressed 16' midlength. The gas block works wonders. I have perfect ejection and the receiver stays clean. The carbine gas system on 14 inch should be fine especially if you plan on tuning the gas with the superlative block.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom