Cat Island NWR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Braud05

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Gonzales
    I understand that I can CC on any state WMAs now,but not sure about wildlife refuges such as Cat Island. I am getting contradicting info.Can anyone help?:confused:

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    I had the same question and sent an email to the nwr office. This is the response I got back.

"You may have a concealed weapon while in your vehicle or in parking areas. You are not allowed to take a firearm into the woods in the hunting area. A sidearm is not a legal weapon for take on the refuge therefore you are not allowed to possess it while hunting."

Refuge Law Enforcement Officer
    Lower Mississippi River Refuge Complex
    P O Box 217
    Sibley MS 39165
    (601) 442-6696 Tel

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    A sidearm is not a legal weapon for take on the refuge therefore you are not allowed to possess it while hunting."

Does that read kind of funny or is it just me?

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Cat Island is Federal land and therefore no pistols of any caliber are allowed by a hunter.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    A sidearm is not a legal weapon for take on the refuge therefore you are not allowed to possess it while hunting."

Does that read kind of funny or is it just me?

It does, and I'm having a hard time believing it to be true. But can't prove otherwise so I won't carry there for now. The last time I was there, there was a game warden checking folks and I forgot to ask him... I'll ask next time.

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    It does, and I'm having a hard time believing it to be true. But can't prove otherwise so I won't carry there for now. The last time I was there, there was a game warden checking folks and I forgot to ask him... I'll ask next time.

So based on the 2/22/10 law change, concealed firearms appear to be good to go, as long as the state the NWR is located within allows them for a permit holder.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    I didn't. He was actually quick to respond... Email below. From what I can put together in my head on all of this is, it's not "illegal" to carry there but it's against their printed rules and that would cause you some grief If you get caught doing it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me how/if this fits into the answer you listed below?

http://www.fws.gov/news/NewsReleases/showNews.cfm?newsId=E37DD72E-FB6C-9EBE-6B4F45440EDB35CE

Thanks for your time on this.

*the reply*

"The news release does play into the answer. In the past the state allowed the possession of a .22 calibre handgun loaded with rat shot during archery. We never allowed this option due to it is illegal to take a snake on a national wildlife refuge. I do realize the state has now expanded their regulations to allow handguns due to the coburn ammendment. Our regulations were already printed for this season when the state made their changes. I do forsee the refuges moving to standardize handgun regulations and allowances to coincide with state regulations before next season."

Braud05

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Gonzales
    I actually talked to a federal game warden that spends alot of time at the refuge. He basically said that this issue was never really pushed until this year. They had some meetings,and he looks for rules to change before long.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sollidus_
    Top Bottom