CCW Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TowTruck

Jared
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Denham Springs
    how is it that other states recognize CCW when by federal law its illegal to carry handguns accross state lines? This may be false but I was told by more than one LEO that this was a federal law.
    Also anyone know who to talk to to take the LA CCW course?

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    how is it that other states recognize CCW when by federal law its illegal to carry handguns accross state lines? This may be false but I was told by more than one LEO that this was a federal law.
    Also anyone know who to talk to to take the LA CCW course?

It's false.

On the CCW:
    States (Some) establish repropracity (SP?) with each other... just like your Drivers lisense has repropracity in the other 49 states...

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Ok, no offense, but everything in this thread so far is incorrect.

Not only is there no Federal law prohibiting the carry of a lawfully possessed weapon, Federal law actually protects you, if you are carrying through a State that prohibits you from having it. Example: I travel to MN from LA. Every State along the way recognizes my permit, except Iowa. Iowa can say nothing about me having locked weapons in my trunk (or other locked compartment), because, by Federal law, if I can legally possess the weapon where I am traveling from and going to, a State in my path may not restrict my travel through there (this changes if you stop to visit someone in that State or otherwise divert from your journey).

As far as getting advice from LEOs (and I mean no disrespect here, this is just an observation)- I have never met any that know more than a few State gun laws, much less the host of Federal codes. You need to research this stuff for yourself (I tried to make it easier with the law resources on LA Carry).

In regards to recognition/reciprocity:

Recognition is one thing, reciprocity is another. A State may recognize your permit without having reciprocity with your State (MN, for example, recognizes our CHP, but has no reciprocity agreement). In terms of CHPs, the word reciprocity means that there is a formal agreement that has been entered into between the two States in question. In contrast, some States simply have it written into their laws that they recognize permits from all other States. Your permit would be recognized there, even in the absence of a separate formal agreement.

Drivers licenses are (correctly) recognized by other States as a result of the full faith and credit clause of the Constitution. This is how CHPs should be, but it is a hot-button issue, so there have been roadblocks in getting us to that point. I am just pointing out that it is not a correct analogy to compare CHPs to DLs, since our reciprocity or recognition must be specifically codified to exist, and is not universal.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom