Changing a 1911 extractor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Well after some major research I realized the extractor on my kimber 1911 needs to be changed. does anyone know how hard this is to do? I kinda looked around lafayette and every gunsmith I've talked to is backed up for months. So I was thinking I would try and do it myself, the only problem is I am relatively new to 1911's and don't really have any idea on how to do this... Can anyone help me? Give me some detailed instructions/a gunsmith to take it to... I would appreciate any help

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    XD,
    Is the extractor chipped or broken? If not, it just may need to be adjusted.
    If it just needs adjustment let me know and I'll explain how I do it.

Better yet go here: www.blindhogg.com
    Lots of good info here for the do it yourselfer and has pictures to boot.

Last edited:

Richierich

RichieRich
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    NoLa
    Interesting post, after shooting at the BZ sunday i had to pull out the extractor on my 1911 hope all goes well for ya. Id offer to help but looks like these guys have ya covered good luck.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Please note. This is not for guns with external extractors such as S & W or Sig 1911s.
    Make sure pistol is unloaded.
    Remove slide. (not needed but easier to set and work with)
    Looking at rear of slide take a 5/32 or 1/8" punch or small screw driver and press down on the Firing Pin about 3/16 to 1/4" (the thickness of the Firing Pin (FP) Stop.
    Slide FP Stop toward bottom of the slide.
    Be careful, the firing pin is under spring tension.
    Remove FP Stop.
    On guns without a Firing Pin Safety you can remove your Firing Pin. Note how spring fits on Firing Pin.
    Now you can remove your extractor.
    This is a good time to clean the carbon and trash from the openings in your slide. A .22 rimfire brush works great. Flush them out with the cleaner of your choice.
    Use dmiculek's blindhogg.com link to set your extractor.
    Check to make sure the FP Stop fits in the slot in your new extractor.
    Now reinstall your extractor and firing pin & spring and FP Stop.
    You'll need to press down on the Firing Pin and slide the Stop over it.

Do not put a round in the chamber and then let the slide ram home. This is not good on the extractor. Always load from a mag.

Buy Brownells catalog. Its a great parts source and they refund your catalog cost on your first purchase. brownells.com

XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Well I took it apart this morning, and the extractor is too long... that is it does not hold the case at all. Should I just order a new one, how can I be sure the new one won't have the same problem? I'm sorry about all the questions, but I just want this gun to be 100%, as I plan to make it a CCW. Also, I've heard good things about wilson combat extractors, I know they make great mags. for the 1911. Should I order an extractor from them? If not I would appreciate suggestions, and I would really like to thank everyone, y'all are the best.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    If this is a CCW and not a tinkering fun gun, I'd say take it to a pro. Almost any extractor will require custom fitting to make it work 100% reliable. An EGW firing pin stop wouldn't be a bad idea either, to prevent the extractor from clocking.

Or...can't you just send it back to Kimber?

XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    well I got it out, I am just concerned about where to get one and making sure it works like it should... is there any way to adjust it once it is in?
    it is an internal on a kimber ultra carry

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    The adjustment must be made outside the pistol. You basically just bend it slightly and re-install and test. Remove and re-adjust if required. (too much or too little tension)

If you want to replace yours, be sure to replace it with a tool steel version.
    Kimber may have installed a MIM (metal injection molding) one from the factory. MIM has it place in firearms but I am little leary of them as extractors. May be why yours quit working.

If you buy a replacement chances are you willl still need to adjust it. And you want that radius on the bottom of the extractor groove as shown on the Blind Hogg site.

Once you install your extractor use a empty casing to test your extractor tension. You'll want to feel (estimate) approx 1-2 lbs of pressure to slide the casing under the extractor. It is going to be a trial and error thing.

XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    That's what Im having trouble understanding, the extractor I have is about 1/16th" too long when I put a spent shell in the slide, and will a new extractor not be so long etc. or do I try and bend it back untill it holds it or just get a new one and hope it's not too long like the one I have now?

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Your extractor should be 2.685" which is about 2 11/16". As far as I can tell there is only one size extractor. I may be wrong. Just call Kimber and tell them that you need an extractor and your problem will be over. Ph.# 914-964-0771 Ext. 324 this is their Customer service and parts number.

Art

Last edited:

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    I don't run 3" 1911s, but I thought some of the micro guns had specific parts... don't know. Get past 4.25 and 5" 1911s, I'm out f my depth.

I searched Brownells catalog up and down and the only "different" 1911 extractors I came across were Series 70 or Series 80 for Colts (why Colt screwed with perfection I'll never know, other than to keep the lawyers happy)

Edit: Kimber only sells one size extractor in black or nickel finsh.

Last edited:

XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Well I called kimber and it would cost a 80 bucks to have them change it as it is no longer under warranty, so I think I'm gonna go through wilson combat as there service is great, and from what I've dealt with, thier products are top notch... again I would like to thank everyone for the help...

WhiteRabbit22

US Navy, Belle Chasse LA.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2008
    Marrero LA.
    I searched Brownells catalog up and down and the only "different" 1911 extractors I came across were Series 70 or Series 80 for Colts (why Colt screwed with perfection I'll never know, other than to keep the lawyers happy)

The only reason there's a grip safety on the damned things is because the US Cavalry wanted it to be "more safe." However it does quite the opposite.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    grip safety

That may have been the original reason but I think it has found new usefullness. If were to poll .mil 1911 users I doubr you would find a single one with a pinned or otherwise deactivated grip safety.

Top Bottom