CHP no longer required for veterans on August 1st

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MSST8DOG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Here is the literature for anyone who wants to read over it.

https://legis.la.gov/legis/ViewDocument.aspx?d=1290223

I'm glad this was passed, but in my heart still feel that a class should be required to carry, not a license. The reason that I say that was when I took my concealed carry class I learned a lot about what would be considered 'Self Defense' and what would not be. I didn't realize that the consideration of 'Aggression' was so fickle. There were things that I would have never considered in my mind as being the aggressor, that by law is actually considered as you being the aggressor. I think that a class requirement would go a long ways in education and could help someone out of possible jail time in the long run for something that they felt was right. I see that they are offering a free 2 hour course in basic education, so that will help. All in all it looks like a major win!
    I would rather see a requirement for that information being taught in school. For the most part, kids these days have no respect for anyone or anything. Unfortunately, that is not likely to change in the near future.
    Also, I personally, wouldn't care who thought I was the "aggressor". I don't hunt trouble, but if it is brought to me I figure I should be the one taking care of things.
    It has worked fine in the few instances I have had to take care of business. That way the LEOs can help those that are unable to take care of themselves.
    And, as always.... This is just my opinion.

MSST8DOG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Wow what a complete tool answer. I never said I deserved anything more than anyone else. I was simply implying my trading surpasses a regular citizen. I don’t know what type of service you were in, it’s a sacrifice that we chose to take to serve our country. Yes I did volunteer for the first 10 years of my service, but my entire command was stoplossed and sent overseas. Which was an honor to do, but it was not a choice. I don’t know you from the next green guy, but you seem like one of those sour soldiers that wasn’t happy with their service. It’s cool though. I know many veterans who served on Teams that well deserve way more than any civilian who just collects a paycheck and doesn’t contribute to the freedoms of this country. I’m pretty offended that you try to call me out here. What kind of blue falcon are you? I would never say anything like that to any Veteran who sacrificed normality in life. It’s cool man, have a blessed night. Thank you for your service….
    Hmm, who typed this into your post then...?
    Yea i think I deserve more than a normal citizen
    You actually did say it. You were given a raw deal like many of us. Don't be offended because someone used your own words in a reply.
    Thank you for your service though, I agree that it is and was an honor to serve this nation. I also have been to the sand box and played with the natives.
    Let's us vets try not to act like the snowflakes on the street.
    Have a good one,

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    You actually did say it. You were given a raw deal like many of us. Don't be offended because someone used your own words in a reply.
    Thank you for your service though, I agree that it is and was an honor to serve this nation. I also have been to the sand box and played with the natives.
    Have a good one,
    Well said. I originally joined the navy on a 4 year contract. When I was in basic training myself and 4 other recruits were called into the forward office to sign a stack of documents. Of course we didn’t dare ask what we were signing and at this point in basic this wasn’t anything out of the norm. During the first few weeks of basic I probably signed my signature 50+ times a day. When we were done signing they told us “ congratulations. Your rate (job) is in demand and you just signed a one year extension on your contract.

If I was given the option or explained what I was signing I would have declined however I didn’t get upset I simply said ok and went along with it. Ffwd 5 years and I’m out on deployment. I’m two weeks away from going home and again called to the office to be told we’re extending your contract by six months. I didn’t have any say so in the matter after discussing it with some senior officials. Again I simply said ok and went with it. Never once did I get upset about it or even remotely feel like I was owed something for it. I was there originally because I volunteered to do so and I kept the same positive attitude I had from day one.

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    Have a good one,
    I had to explain what I meant since everyone is a keyboard warrior these days. I simply meant I felt I deserved not to be required to pay someone to give me a certificate stating I got the training to be able to practice my 2nd Amendment rights. Just like this new law going into act! Veterans don’t have to pay anymore. This is a privilege that we have earned. Yes us Veterans deserve more than normal citizens in THIS aspect. Everyone is riding me like a horse because I feel like we deserve more because we sacrificed so much… I don’t blame people for being morons though. I have said unpleasant and unprofessional things to people before, but I would never call out a fellow veteran…. I’m not a Blue Falcon. It’s ok though. Have a blessed evening…

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I had to explain what I meant since everyone is a keyboard warrior these days. I simply meant I felt I deserved not to be required to pay someone to give me a certificate stating I got the training to be able to practice my 2nd Amendment rights. Just like this new law going into act! Veterans don’t have to pay anymore. This is a privilege that we have earned. Yes us Veterans deserve more than normal citizens in THIS aspect. Everyone is riding me like a horse because I feel like we deserve more because we sacrificed so much… I don’t blame people for being morons though. I have said unpleasant and unprofessional things to people before, but I would never call out a fellow veteran…. I’m not a Blue Falcon. It’s ok though. Have a blessed evening…
    So what makes you different from a civilian who paid for and went through training himself? Why should you deserve it but they shouldn’t. You can say what you want but every time you respond you’re just making yourself look worse. Veteran or not your stance is just wrong. As fellow veterans we are “calling you out” as you put it because the average person who isn’t a veteran probably doesn’t want to come off as disrespectful towards your service. This has nothing to do whit your service but everything to do with your mindset of being owed something because of it.

I was in weapons department. I handled small arms on almost a daily basis for 4+ years once I got to my command after basic and schooling. I don’t think that makes me any more special than the average civilian who has paid for his own training or the average civilian who can legally purchase a firearm for that matter.

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    So what makes you different from a civilian who paid for and went through training himself? Why should you deserve it but they shouldn’t. You can say what you want but every time you respond you’re just making yourself look worse. Veteran or not your stance is just wrong. As fellow veterans we are “calling you out” as you put it because the average person who isn’t a veteran probably doesn’t want to come off as disrespectful towards your service. This has nothing to do whit your service but everything to do with your mindset of being owed something because of it.

I was in weapons department. I handled small arms on almost a daily basis for 4+ years once I got to my command after basic and schooling. I don’t think that makes me any more special than the average civilian who has paid for his own training or the average civilian who can legally purchase a firearm for that matter.
    Ok Stud this seems to be eating at you that you just can’t wrap your mind around what I’m saying. You are still taking my comment out of context. If you were in a weapons department, which I’m not clear what branch you were in means you have more knowledge than a regular citizen just wanting to start carrying concealed. You or me are not “special“ as you put it, but that gives you the upper hand when handling weapons. I’m clearly trying to make a point that we as Veterans should not be required to go pay a civilian to teach us what we have already been taught. Are you getting it yet? It’s all about making money. They charge people for a class. Those classes start at $100-$200 depending on where you get it. Then you have to pay another $125 to get the permit. Our current governor passed a bill for all Louisiana Veterans to not have to pay for the permit. ALL VETERANS CCW IS NOW FREE. I think he believes we deserve to not be charged and that is awesome. Now the new law will save us more money because we don’t have to go every 5 years and pay someone to teach us the same thing we already know. So there you go. Our state government is actually doing something good for us by eliminating around $300 in fees. And yes, I think our Veterans deserve it. That is the point I’m trying to get to. Please for the love of Pete explain how I am wrong. I in no way was trying to disrespect anyone, seem to think I’m more entitled than other people. I’m happy we finally got something in our favor. Do you understand now? Is my point clear? We are on the same team here. Also this should be for our law enforcement. If they get Post Certified they shouldn’t have to pay either. My son works for the Sheriffs Office in my town and completed the Academy and now is able to conceal because is qualified. Ok I’m tired of typing. Have I satisfied you now? Are you going to change your mind about what I was trying to say?

EightySix

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Ok Stud this seems to be eating at you that you just can’t wrap your mind around what I’m saying. You are still taking my comment out of context. If you were in a weapons department, which I’m not clear what branch you were in means you have more knowledge than a regular citizen just wanting to start carrying concealed. You or me are not “special“ as you put it, but that gives you the upper hand when handling weapons. I’m clearly trying to make a point that we as Veterans should not be required to go pay a civilian to teach us what we have already been taught. Are you getting it yet? It’s all about making money. They charge people for a class. Those classes start at $100-$200 depending on where you get it. Then you have to pay another $125 to get the permit. Our current governor passed a bill for all Louisiana Veterans to not have to pay for the permit. ALL VETERANS CCW IS NOW FREE. I think he believes we deserve to not be charged and that is awesome. Now the new law will save us more money because we don’t have to go every 5 years and pay someone to teach us the same thing we already know. So there you go. Our state government is actually doing something good for us by eliminating around $300 in fees. And yes, I think our Veterans deserve it. That is the point I’m trying to get to. Please for the love of Pete explain how I am wrong. I in no way was trying to disrespect anyone, seem to think I’m more entitled than other people. I’m happy we finally got something in our favor. Do you understand now? Is my point clear? We are on the same team here. Also this should be for our law enforcement. If they get Post Certified they shouldn’t have to pay either. My son works for the Sheriffs Office in my town and completed the Academy and now is able to conceal because is qualified. Ok I’m tired of typing. Have I satisfied you now? Are you going to change your mind about what I was trying to say?
    So why should I, non military, have to go every 5 years and pay someone to teach me something I already know?

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    So why should I, non military, have to go every 5 years and pay someone to teach me something I already know?
    I still have to geaux every five years and take the same course as you to renew my permit. It still costs money for the class.
    Only the administrative fee from the state is waived.

Why? Because some politicians were grateful for their freedoms and wanted to reward those who protect them, I would imagine. I'll take it.

I'll keep my permit, as I travel every year, and enjoy the reciprocity it affords me.

MSST8DOG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I personally feel that ANY license or certificate, or fee is an infringement. However, I will pay the fee if applicable. I don't think blue falcon applies here. There are so many Kens and Karens in the world today, us "professionals" should always be wary and conduct ourselves with the utmost respect and professionalism. I do not feel that as a veteran I deserve more consideration on my 2nd amendment right than any (this is key to the discussion) LAW ABIDING CITIZEN.
    I have heard that anyone including aliens living here legally should be able to carry. I don't agree. If you come here and expect all the rights and priviledges of a citizen, go to the classes and take the test. Become a citizen. Otherwise, go back to your own country and change it to the way you want it to be to make you want to stay there. I can't understand why people come to the United States from these oppressed countries and immediately start trying to change the U.S. into what they left. If it was working where you came from, why did you want to leave?

Just my opinions on a few things. I did not call you a Blue Falcon, but this is the second time I read a post where you SEEM to be calling someone a BF. Don't worry though, it is ok here too, I have a skin about 3 inches thick, can't scratch it if that was the intent. Enjoy your life, this is the best country in the world to do so.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Why shouldn’t every law abiding citizen be able to enjoy a God given right? Military shouldn’t be special.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state. The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

That seems pretty self explanatory to me.

MSST8DOG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Why shouldn’t every law abiding citizen be able to enjoy a God given right? Military shouldn’t be special.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state. The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

That seems pretty self explanatory to me.
    Yep, the second line of the 2nd amendment is the most important, I believe. The right of the "people"....

Anyway, I spent 27 years in service and over 10 of them were as an instructor in various roles. Each instructor position I held required that I teach / refresh the students in firearm safety and tactics. I am qualified to say that I know what I am doing. And I agree that every law abiding citizen should not be subject to any fee or license at all. But, with the way things are in this old world, criminals don't care, so I will carry regardless of my status or where I am. The life of my family and myself are as important on Bourbon Street during a riot as on the beach in Florida.

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    Once again my point. Once you as a non military person get your training shouldn’t have to do that either. Like I said, it’s a money making scheme just like every other dumb holiday they can make up for citizens to blow their money on. We all need training on our own time. But as it is right now, us Veterans have been given a privilege of not having to continue to pay for something that is our God givin right.

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    I personally feel that ANY license or certificate, or fee is an infringement. However, I will pay the fee if applicable. I don't think blue falcon applies here. There are so many Kens and Karens in the world today, us "professionals" should always be wary and conduct ourselves with the utmost respect and professionalism. I do not feel that as a veteran I deserve more consideration on my 2nd amendment right than any (this is key to the discussion) LAW ABIDING CITIZEN.
    I have heard that anyone including aliens living here legally should be able to carry. I don't agree. If you come here and expect all the rights and priviledges of a citizen, go to the classes and take the test. Become a citizen. Otherwise, go back to your own country and change it to the way you want it to be to make you want to stay there. I can't understand why people come to the United States from these oppressed countries and immediately start trying to change the U.S. into what they left. If it was working where you came from, why did you want to leave?

Just my opinions on a few things. I did not call you a Blue Falcon, but this is the second time I read a post where you SEEM to be calling someone a BF. Don't worry though, it is ok here too, I have a skin about 3 inches thick, can't scratch it if that was the intent. Enjoy your life, this is the best country in the world to do so.
    I completely agree with you. If you want to come to our country, you need to comply to the law of the land. I’m calling out the Blue Falcons for taking my comments out of context. I will continue to say that I simply meant that Veterans should not have to PAY for any type of training or permits. This is the best country because of the people before us who sacrificed everything for the rest of us. I’m 5th generation military and my family including me has served in 5 wars. That doesn’t mean I feel like I deserve more than anyone else. So can everyone loosen up their panties and let it go? Roflol I love this site. I’m so glad we don’t have left wing Karen’s arguing with us….

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Yep, the second line of the 2nd amendment is the most important, I believe. The right of the "people"....

Anyway, I spent 27 years in service and over 10 of them were as an instructor in various roles. Each instructor position I held required that I teach / refresh the students in firearm safety and tactics. I am qualified to say that I know what I am doing. And I agree that every law abiding citizen should not be subject to any fee or license at all. But, with the way things are in this old world, criminals don't care, so I will carry regardless of my status or where I am. The life of my family and myself are as important on Bourbon Street during a riot as on the beach in Florida.
    Well said and I agree with you and feel the same way. Thank you for your service, 27 years is long while. My 5 years and some change flew by feeling like it was almost over as soon as it started. Was it the same for you doing 27?

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I completely agree with you. If you want to come to our country, you need to comply to the law of the land. I’m calling out the Blue Falcons for taking my comments out of context. I will continue to say that I simply meant that Veterans should not have to PAY for any type of training or permits. This is the best country because of the people before us who sacrificed everything for the rest of us. I’m 5th generation military and my family including me has served in 5 wars. That doesn’t mean I feel like I deserve more than anyone else. So can everyone loosen up their panties and let it go? Roflol I love this site. I’m so glad we don’t have left wing Karen’s arguing with us….
    If you think calling me a blue falcon is going to upset me or rattle me in anyway think again. Let’s leave it at this. Veterans shouldn’t have to pay anything to carry a firearm they legally purchased and neither should civilians. Just to be clear though we are using verbatim what you said. Nobody is taking anything out of context.

We don’t have to keep beating a dead horse here. We both made our opinions clear. We can agree to disagree and move along. At the end of the day I’m sure we have many things in common so it’s not the end of the world to have a disagreement about something. It’s good to have conversations and look at things from opposing view points. Except views from the far left. Those people are just insane and evil and if you try to make sense of something they say you’ll get a headache or just down right pissed off.

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    It's just feel good legislation. Veterans got the permit for free anyways. So by doing this the state doesn't lose any money from permit fees and they save money by not having to do all the work to give a free permit.

I'll pay the money to take a class to get a new permit and I'll make the state put in work to give me my free permit.

Tactitools and blanket statements... Welcome to Bayoushooter.
    I am a veteran and I have had my conceal carry permit for about 10 year now. I can tell you that veterans definitely did NOT get our permits for free. I had to pay for every bit of the permit just like everyone else. I paid $500 for a lifetime permit and then I had to still take a refresher course every 5 years to keep my permit. The course is around $125.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    I am a veteran and I have had my conceal carry permit for about 10 year now. I can tell you that veterans definitely did NOT get our permits for free. I had to pay for every bit of the permit just like everyone else. I paid $500 for a lifetime permit and then I had to still take a refresher course every 5 years to keep my permit. The course is around $125.
    Im a veteran and I got my permit, 3yrs ago, for free. Just paid for the class and the prints.

Tactitools and blanket statements... Welcome to Bayoushooter.
    0ce995870cbd81a2d9f06427dcca0616.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom