CHP no longer required for veterans on August 1st

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I am a veteran and I have had my conceal carry permit for about 10 year now. I can tell you that veterans definitely did NOT get our permits for free. I had to pay for every bit of the permit just like everyone else. I paid $500 for a lifetime permit and then I had to still take a refresher course every 5 years to keep my permit. The course is around $125.
    Yep, it changed about 6 years ago. Free permit for vets

M_Lee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2021
    Metairie, LA
    You are correct but neither does the CC class. This seems to be a way of saying thank you for serving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    True dat...
    The CC class is rudimentary training at best. If somebody has no prior training and does no follow up training after the CC class even their basic proficiency deteriorates. Follow up training could even be the simple act of dry firing drills at home.
    I'm 100% 2nd Amendment, but for sure know the reality that simply legally owning a firearm doesn't necessarily mean that person should be carrying said firearm in public. On a couple of occasions I've observed someone open carrying a pistol in a holster while shopping. Cheap, non retention holsters. No cognizance of who was around them and exposing the pistol to easily being taken away. A combination of their awareness, the holster and honestly their age and physical stature. One of them I recall vividly. A Beretta 92 in a cheap Uncle Mike's nylon holster at WalMart grocery aisle. I looked at him and how careless he was and I knew if I was a bad guy I could have been the proud owner of a fully loaded 9mm pistol with one simple grab and shove.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    People often forget, or ignore if they ever knew, that rights come with responsibilities.

Responsible gun ownership such as safety, storage and training are obvious to most of us here.

The right to free speech doesn't mean you can say something that endangers someone's life or well-being (incite riot, yell fire in theater, slander, etc).

Responsible exercising the right to vote requires educating yourself about the choices, it doesn't mean you can sell your vote for a Big Mac Combo meal and $10 or vote for whoever your minister/community organizer tells you to vote for.

SouthernInsanity

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 31, 2018
    Baton Rouge, LA
    --
    Rep. Larry Frieman

ATTENTION ALL LOUISIANA VETERANS!

Act 680 becomes effective on August 1, 2022. Under this new law, which I supported, all honorably discharged Veterans who have not been convicted of a violent crime, not under influence of alcohol or drugs, are at least 21 years old may carry a CONCEALED WEAPON WITHOUT A PERMIT in any place and under the same restrictions that those with a permit may carry a concealed weapon. You will need to have proof of being a veteran which can be any military ID card or even your driver’s license showing “veteran” on it.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
    Late to this topic but just wanted to this is out there.... this doesn't seem limited to Veterans.
    "This version of permitless carry allows any Louisiana resident who meets the eligibility requirements to possess a concealed handgun permit, and who is a reserve or active-duty member of any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces, Louisiana National Guard or Louisiana Air National Guard, to be totally exempt from the requirement of carrying a concealed handgun permit."

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    As I read this I have to wonder to myself how many LEO have no clue this goes into effect starting today. Hopefully the vast majority are aware and we don’t see anything crazy come from it.
    Likewise, I wonder how many vets know about it. I also wonder how many will actually follow through and carry concealed. I would imagine the numbers in both buckets are very low percentages of the veteran population.

On top of that, those who will encounter a LEO and potentially have a problem over this has to be near zero.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Likewise, I wonder how many vets know about it. I also wonder how many will actually follow through and carry concealed. I would imagine the numbers in both buckets are very low percentages of the veteran population.

On top of that, those who will encounter a LEO and potentially have a problem over this has to be near zero.
    A lot of the vets I know personally are aware of what’s going on. Most of them already carry daily anyway. I know of a couple that will benefit from this new law and at least say they plan on carrying concealed now.

met7881

Former Yankee
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    mandeville,La.
    where does it end. It started with LEOSA, this created a special class for CCW. Now another class has an exemption, Law abiding non law enforcement , non active military and non veterans are being treated as second class citizens, Wake up. I;m sorry but what gives these classes special treatment.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom