CHP & Vets.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    How many Vets are renewing their CHP since the law changed for Vets? I've had my CHP since they started back in the 90's but with up coming damn tax time I might be not renewing. Mine expires in Jan the same time I have to pay taxes.

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    Just get the lifetime. You're not going to pay for it anyway, because Veterans get the fees waived... you just have to pay for the class.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Just get the lifetime. You're not going to pay for it anyway, because Veterans get the fees waived... you just have to pay for the class.
    There is no benefit for a Vet to get a lifetime CHP you still have to take the class every 5 years.

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    I need reciprocity to travel to other states, which occurs monthly. I hope others that are considering not renewing their CHP due to this new law have thought that through…..

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    I'll be renewing mine just incase I travel to other states and not to have to deal with the nics background check.

Tactitools and blanket statements... Welcome to Bayoushooter.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    You can also use the lifetime for firearms purchases now, so that's another benefit. Will keep you from getting NICS delays, if that happens to you when you buy from an FFL.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Not true. You don't have to go through the whole renewal process every time. Less paperwork, less BS, less time.
    From reading the law it seems you're not correct. Still have to have the training every 5 years. Does anyone just teach a renewal class? Maybe a CHP instructor can post the difference between a Lifetime and 5 year training requirements.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    From reading the law it seems you're not correct. Still have to have the training every 5 years. Does anyone just teach a renewal class? Maybe a CHP instructor can post the difference between a Lifetime and 5 year training requirements.
    Yes, you still have to do a class, the regular basic class is fine, but you may be able to substitute some other more advanced class. You'd have to ask an instructor. The renewal paperwork is less, just have to send in the class certificate, no fingerprints.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Yes, you still have to do a class, the regular basic class is fine, but you may be able to substitute some other more advanced class. You'd have to ask an instructor. The renewal paperwork is less, just have to send in the class certificate, no fingerprints.
    I did notice it looked like you could just send LSP the paper where you did a class. I did my prints for mine when CHP started and that was the only time. I can't remember how long its's been it's been so long ago LOL

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    But the class is still around $125 every 5 years. I am a vet and I am not renewing. I paid for the lifetime permit years ago but I will not renew.

JB-Glock21

Old School
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I recently spoke with the LSP/CHP people and was told; as a vet all you need to do is take your DD214 showing an Honorable Discharge to the DMV and have your driver's license corrected to indicate you are a Veteran and you are good to go. No classes, no fees.

As a vet, your DL is your CHP.

Please review and advise.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2014
    Piney Woods, LA
    Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I recently spoke with the LSP/CHP people and was told; as a vet all you need to do is take your DD214 showing an Honorable Discharge to the DMV and have your driver's license corrected to indicate you are a Veteran and you are good to go. No classes, no fees.

As a vet, your DL is your CHP.

Please review and advise.
    Will form DD-256A, which is an actual honorable discharge document from the U.S Army Reserves substitute in lieu of Form 214?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom