CHP & Vets.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    Yes, you still have to do a class, the regular basic class is fine, but you may be able to substitute some other more advanced class. You'd have to ask an instructor. The renewal paperwork is less, just have to send in the class certificate, no fingerprints.
    I'm in the process right now. I have the lifetime and my 5 years is up. I took the Bearco online class last week. Saturday I'm going shoot then I send the paperwork into the state.

The state sent me a letter last week letting me know in what time frame I need to take another class. I am not a veteran.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I think you answered his question. Like you said for the lifetime to stay valid he will need the training every five years. And if he just wants to CC in La he could just use his Veteran on his DL and not take any more classes.

You can get a Veterans ID which is all you need to have on you if carrying. You don't need to have your D. L. marked

Having Veteran on your DL allows you to have 1 less thing in your wallet.

JB-Glock21

Old School
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Don't be sorry ...read the law.. A valid veterans ID which you can get thru the VA
    https://www.legis.la.gov/legis/ViewDocument.aspx?d=1287103

Well Done! And it is not my intent to argue the point.

Merely to clarify what is accepted and to avoid getting it wrong.

However, when speaking with the LSP/CHP officer on duty; I specifically asked about my VA issued ID card. And was told it was not an accepted form and he told me about getting the word Veteran on my LADL.

My VA issued card does not indicate the word "Veteran", now that's just my card. Is there another form of ID issued by the VA?

Reading the "law" page 2 lines 3-12 worded "issued by the state of Louisiana displaying the word 'Veteran' " I don't read it as accepting my VA ID.

Your thoughts?

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    How can something so simply worded be open to so many different interpretations ..LOL
    Page 2...Line 1 & 2..........."one of the following......" a valid military ID ".... don't try reading between the words.

Anyway ....I've asked for an official opinion from the Attorney Generals office. Maybe they can straighten this out.. I'll post their reply when received.
    In the mean time , all you vets , don't sweat it and do what you think you should do. Me , I'll just carry my VA Medical "valid ID " and keep on trucking..:cool:

Last edited:

JB-Glock21

Old School
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Denham Springs
    How can something so simply worded be open to so many different interpretations ..LOL
    Page 2...Line 1 & 2..........."one of the following......" a valid military ID ".... don't try reading between the words.

Anyway ....I've asked for an official opinion from the Attorney Generals office. Maybe they can straighten this out.. I'll post their reply when received.
    In the mean time , all you vets , don't sweat it and do what you think you should do. Me , I'll just carry my VA Medical "valid ID " and keep on trucking..:cool:
    ." a valid military ID " that's pretty specific!......there is nothing referring to your "VA Medical" ID!!!

Yes, you believe what you think....I'll believe what I know!!

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

I thought the AG only responds to officials. And having a VA medical card doesn't mean it you have a honorable discharge. Maybe you'll get lucky and get a LEO that doesn't know the law.

Last edited:

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    ." a valid military ID " that's pretty specific!......there is nothing referring to your "VA Medical" ID!!!

Yes, you believe what you think....I'll believe what I know!!
    I may be wrong but I don't believe you can get a VA medical or other VA ID if you aren't an honorability discharged veteran. National Guard service has some different rules.

JB-Glock21

Old School
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I may be wrong but I don't believe you can get a VA medical or other VA ID if you aren't an honorability discharged veteran. National Guard service has some different rules.
    Answered here: https://www.disabilityapprovalguide...-benefits/va-benefits-dishonorable-discharge/

"How you got discharged from military service plays a role in qualifying for VA benefits. In other words, if you have a dishonorable discharge, you may be out of luck."

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

From the VA website.​

What should I do if I received an other than honorable, bad conduct, or dishonorable discharge?​

If you’ve received one of these discharge statuses, you may not be eligible for VA benefits.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana

Have to agree with JB Glock21 here. A VA card isn’t proof. My wife has a VA card and also had a military ID when I was active duty and she never served a day. She was simply considered my dependent at the time.

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana

You absolutely can. Dependents of veterans can get VA access and they don’t have to be enlisted or commissioned. Having a VA card is not by any means proof that someone is a veteran. Spouses, children, or any other legal dependents of certain military personnel qualify for VA benefits.

It literally takes 10 minutes and maybe $10 to take your DD214 to ABC title and have them print you a new license that states VETERAN under your picture. Not sure what the issue is here with just going with the fool proof way we can all agree is a legal way of doing things.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2014
    Piney Woods, LA
    Another hoop to jump through, but hope springs eternal:

LRS 40:1321(K)

K. Upon request, the word "Veteran" shall be exhibited in the color black below the person's photograph on a special identification card upon presentation of a copy of the person's DD Form 214, issued by the United States Department of Defense, or equivalent, as established by administrative rule.

Now where does one find an "administrative ruler" pray tell?

Last edited:

JB-Glock21

Old School
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Another hoop to jump through, but hope springs eternal:

LRS 40:1321(K)

K. Upon request, the word "Veteran" shall be exhibited in the color black below the person's photograph on a special identification card upon presentation of a copy of the person's DD Form 214, issued by the United States Department of Defense, or equivalent, as established by administrative rule.

Now where does one find an "administrative ruler" pray tell?
    rule vs ruler??

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RussD2
    Top Bottom