Cleaning Brass Help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matthewk1114

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Slidell
    So Ive been collecting brass for a while.

Im dealing with 5 Gallon increments. Ideally i would like to use a 5 Gallon bucket to somehow clean and wash the casings. Does anyone have a little system that works for this for the cheap?

A bucket topper? Strong enough to stir up and mix the casings? Any ideas are welcome.

I have seen cement mixers used for this but that is far too large for me. ideally I'm trying to have a small compact system, limited space available at the moment.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I feel your pain. One reason I usually only grab fresh fired stuff off the ground, I absolutely will not worry myself with muddy brass or casings full of dirt. I have a separate press I use for depriming my brass. It’s outside under the roof of my shop and I don’t care if it gets fouled. It’s easier to clean deprimed brass if you’re having to literally wash it.
    Me and my pops cleaned nearly a truckload of .308 brass that was bad. Soaked it all in degreaser then dumped it back and forth into two 5 gallon buckets full of quarter inch holes while hitting it with the pressure washer. It actually worked pretty well. All in all it was worth the work at the time.

Matthewk1114

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Slidell
    I feel your pain. One reason I usually only grab fresh fired stuff off the ground, I absolutely will not worry myself with muddy brass or casings full of dirt. I have a separate press I use for depriming my brass. It’s outside under the roof of my shop and I don’t care if it gets fouled. It’s easier to clean deprimed brass if you’re having to literally wash it.
    Me and my pops cleaned nearly a truckload of .308 brass that was bad. Soaked it all in degreaser then dumped it back and forth into two 5 gallon buckets full of quarter inch holes while hitting it with the pressure washer. It actually worked pretty well. All in all it was worth the work at the time.
    I think another “strainer” bucket with holes is going to be my best bet. Just running water until it’s clear.

gunnut

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    PA
    I drilled holes in a 5 gallon bucket lid to make it a strainer. I put the brass in with some Simple Green, let sit for a day or so with a regular lid on it so I could shake it up/roll it around to agitate the shells some in the cleaning solution. Then I would put the strainer top on and turn it over to drain.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    I have never "pre-cleaned". I just sort by caliber with a stacked tray system in a 5 gallon bucket. This process involves some jostling, shaking, and handling the empty cases that will often dislodge trash.

As for cleaning, I used to use dry media in a vibrating tumbler, then for a while used stainless pins in water. I now using stainless chips in water. Plenty of videos on line showing those 3 methods.

shell-sorter-shell-sorter-brass-sorter-set.jpg

Top Bottom