CMMG conversion qiestion

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    Someone told me it's not good to shoot rimfire through my 5.56 upper because after the gas tube will get all mucked up with lead residue..And I should get a 22LR upper instead. True?

I'm in the process of buying a CMMG unit for my Windham HBR was curious if anyone has issues with this .

petingrass

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Orleans area
    I have the CMMG India kit. It's great. I have probably 4-5 thousand rounds of .22 down the barrel in each of two guns. No problems. I always shoot a little 223 afterwards as recommended.

petingrass

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Orleans area
    Ditto what angry cookie man said. I have an LMT removable a2 style rear sight that's perfect for this application. Sighted in with 223 and I can adjust a few clicks to be on target to any range out to 100 yards.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    You need a dedicated .22 upper with a .22 barrel. CMMG makes .22 barrels that you use with their 22 conversion kit.

JR1572

^This if you can swing it. I ended up using the conversion for a little while and got so hooked I just ordered a CMMG ded upper. So much better accuracy.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I bought the "Evolution" version of the CMMG conversation at Bass Pro.
    I have used it in a Wilson and an Olympic Arms with 0 issues after about 500 rounds.
    It doesn't want to work in a old FrankenAR, probably due to the 16 hammer (?).
    I need to try a couple things with it before giving up on this one.
    Point of aim is different, I'm thinking of sighting in a red dot specifically for .22 and just swapping it.
    I find it perfect as a beginner gun to get the wife, daughters, grand sons out to shoot.
    It keeps the "cool" factor and drops the noise/recoil.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    .22's in an AR is really fun. You really need a dedicated upper though. The twist rate for a rimfire barrel is 1 in 16. You just don't get the accuracy you need with a .223 barrel. Still a boot to shoot. I've had a Colt conversion for 15 years, fun yea, just not very accurate.

Beauxdog

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom