CMP Winchester M1 Service Grades

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Has anyone ordered one of these? I am thinking of ordering one but I am afraid I will get a Winchester receiver and little else Winchester. Any feelings/opinions on this please respond. The Winchester Service Grade is $795. Is this a better value than a Field Grade at $695?

Thanks
    RZ

leeshall

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Suburban NOLA
    It's a safe bet that the receiver is going to be the only Winchester part on these rifles. Any other Winchester parts included would be rare Lagniappe.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    There is another option for a gun without wood for $495. I may go that route and build up from the receiver, there is no guarantee that the costlier ones will have any more Winchester parts. I would get a new barrel and stock. Of Course the other option is just to get a Winchester Carbine.

230gr

Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    Jefferson Parish
    I have recieved several Wins from the CMP. This has been at least 4-5 yrs ago. The guns I recieved had Win. recievers, great stocks, (arsenal replacements) but of all 7 Wins and the 5 IHC's that I have I could not put a correct Win.or IHC together. I have put a Springfield WWII back to correct, but it cost me a bundle. Stock w/correct cartouch $250.00 and that was picked up at the S. CMP Store. It is a crap shoot. But I love my correct WWII's. Many will debate me on doing this sort of thing and messing up an "as issued" gun, but I love the gun not the sum of the parts. If you have the time and the patients, parts do come around. I have been looking to complete my IHC for over 4yrs. now. May never happen, but I learn alot about the M-1 Garand by looking for the things I need. This is history, it is not cheap, but it is worth it. I have 27 M-1 Garands and shoot as often as I can. A few safe queens don't make a difference to me. The first step to the addiction is getting you first Garand to restore.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I've sold a couple of Garands lately and missed out on the Win SG. waiting on a Win M1 Carbine SG. The carbine will have to do for a while. I was just going to get an Underwood and an IBM but decided I had to have a Winchester. I hope it wasn't a poor decision.

I have a WWII gun that I need a stock for and maybe a few other parts to make it correct. The short-forked thingy is hard to come by and pricey. I have considered a new stock with the correct cartouches and marked as reproduction (stamped in the barrel channel). They look real good and are very reasonable.

thorswhisper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2009
    Covington, La.
    I was at the SS about the time the SA Service Grade Specials came out.(Correct metal with CMP wood) Went on a Wednesday and got there early. It was the same time the Specials jumped a $100.00
    Of all the Winchesters there, I found none with a Winchester barrel that was worth a Damn.And VERY FEW Win Barrels at that. As was mentioned before most Winchesters are in receiver name only. Nice Service Grades would be nice but dont expect much of them to be Winchester. Correct Grades are available in SA. Those are DAMN nice.

Top Bottom