CoC

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Captains of Crush.
    I bought my first *serious* grip training tools yesterday (they should arrive in a few). I purchased the "trainer", #1, #1.5, and #2. Also the hand-extension bands.
    http://www.ironmind-store.com/Captains-of-Crush174-Grippers/products/8/2/0

brad-ardrey_lg.jpg

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/op...s_on_the_Captains_of_Crushx_No_3_Gripper.html

Above is a guy certifying on the #3 gripper. This is well and above beyond my own abilities right now, and likely for a very long time, if not forever.

However, I want to improve my grip. Handstrength to physical performance is like tires/rubber compound to a sports car. It is also something I have neglected for...forever.

Any advice, success, what NOT to do, etc. stories will be appreciated. Approach me like I know nothing about this, because I don't.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?111705

The only thing I can add to what I said in the above link is that I'm not sure what's best as far as Reps go.

The hand and forearms don't exactly operate as the other major Muscle groups and don't heal exactly like them either. I tend to lean towards High Reps from the Elbow down(Forearm/hand) but others say Low Rep/Heavy Weight/resistance is the same old key to increased strength as it is with Major Muscle Groups. But like I said, the muscles in the hand do not work that way. you can't BEEF UP your hand muscles like back muscles or Biceps etc.

So I would focus on Burn Out grip workouts to start(60+ Rep Range(Wal-mart Gripper) with the three different Grip Angles),
    then move towards something that you burnout on near the 25 Rep compress zone.

Just remember, don't leave it up to your HANDS. The Forearm, is what completes the crush. If your body fat% is low enough, look at the inside of your wrist. Now, curl your fingers down one at a time starting with the pinky. See the movement? Now do it wrist down and you can see the same. This should be clear as day that grip strength is not left up to just using Grippers. Plenty other muscles and ways to work those muscles. To include not just doing normal wrist curls, but putting the inside of your wrist flat on a table/bench edge, and curling backwards as far as the wrist will extend. Makes sense?

major-forearm-muscles.jpg

Suggested Sites;
    http://www.dieselcrew.com/zottman-curl-week-12-challenge-submissions
    http://thegripauthority.com/

Last edited:

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    http://www.cyberpump.com/ktaprogram/

This is supposed to be the best program available. I just used the routine recommended on Ironmind's website. The number one thing is to not push it either in too many reps or a gripper too hard. I injured myself pushing too hard in the beginning. I couldn't do them for several weeks.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    The number one thing is to not push it either in too many reps or a gripper too hard.

Sounds impossible to figure out right? lol Was it too high rep that hurt you are too much resistance? Or both?

Not too many reps, not too much weight... the statement, can be so open ended ;)

I think what's more safe is the burnout. The burnout basically relies on your body(and MIND) to say, ENOUGH! I'm done. Usually and most always avoiding injuring itself.

Too Heavy(Too much resistance) can generally bring on injury b/c there is more mind power(or lack thereof :p ) -High Ambitions- going on,
    which leads you to try way too hard and thus injure yourself. Makes sense?

Last edited:

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    Mine was too many attempted reps on the #1 when I was still building up to easy closing on it. If I remember the recommended Iron mind work out it was 10 reps with a gripper you can close for a few sets. Then you work on the gripper you can't close for a number of reps.(can't remember their recommendation.) for two sets.

It was a weird pain because it was not like a typical muscle soreness or workout pain it was very concentrated on an individual tendon or nerve.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    It was a weird pain because it was not like a typical muscle soreness or workout pain it was very concentrated on an individual tendon or nerve.

That's why it was weird, b/c it wasn't a muscle pain. I've felt it too but it was in my bicitial tendon? (probably spelt wrong) but was in the upper forearm area. *PAIN* I tell ya and just like you described. Very Specifically located and took weeks to heal.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    Exactly. It was a shooting pain on top of the forearm. No idea what it is called as the only anatomy I took was looking at girls in college.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    http://www.cyberpump.com/ktaprogram/

This is supposed to be the best program available. I just used the routine recommended on Ironmind's website. The number one thing is to not push it either in too many reps or a gripper too hard. I injured myself pushing too hard in the beginning. I couldn't do them for several weeks.

Seriously tempted to buy the book. It looks like it will spell it out for someone like me who is ignorant of this. From what I have gathered from Hitman and others in this thread is that grip is not like a deadlift or bench-press, because the muscle and dynamics are different. I'm lost. I think the $25 might very well be a smart spend.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    Seriously tempted to buy the book. It looks like it will spell it out for someone like me who is ignorant of this. From what I have gathered from Hitman and others in this thread is that grip is not like a deadlift or bench-press, because the muscle and dynamics are different. I'm lost. I think the $25 might very well be a smart spend.

Only reason I haven't bought it is I'm not currently working out or doing anything as I'm in renovation mode. It gets good reviews from all my searching I did. It does seem a little high but there is almost nothing else out there.

And Hitman that is pretty much exactly where my pain was. Sorry JWG223 for the hijack.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Only reason I haven't bought it is I'm not currently working out or doing anything as I'm in renovation mode. It gets good reviews from all my searching I did. It does seem a little high but there is almost nothing else out there.

And Hitman that is pretty much exactly where my pain was. Sorry JWG223 for the hijack.

No hi-jack at all. I learned. Thank-you!

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    The two suggested reading links I provided will help bring you up to speed if you're not interested in the book.

Being fit/strong is clearly beneficial for many reasons of which I’m sure you know,
    but I find Crushing Hand Strength to be VITAL well beyond the realm of just being fit. I expounded on the necessity of a strong grip for many reasons that involve defensive situations in another thread of a LEO inquiring about fitness for the job and again towards another member linked above about his hand strength for competitive reasons.

On defensive talk, If you can grab pressure points and crush them, you have the upper hand. Not to mention how much easier wrist manipulations can be performed.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I keep one of the heavy strength gripmasters at work. And love it...I can even use it while talking to customers and they don't even notice.
    Link: http://www.prohands.net/products/gripmaster.php

At home, I have a PVC pipe with a hole drilled through it. Put some rope through there and put a weight on the end. Then, hold it out at almost 90 degrees and roll the pipe forward and wind the rope up it. This is a great forearm workout. Go light on the weight at first as you don't want to hurt your forearm muscles.

I am a fan of the fingertip ones as opposed to the full hand ones for work type situations. I have the whole hand CoC type ones, and they aren't as fun. Also, not many people have seen gripmasters and they always want to know about them and try them out. I find that most guys I know cannot do the 9lb per finger one at all, and it is interesting watching them try :P

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Well, my CoC grippers shipped. Also, I often update things from my mobile. This thread, talking about CoC, and all, lets just say that I don't update this thread from any device with autocorrect.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Well, my CoC grippers shipped. Also, I often update things from my mobile. This thread, talking about CoC, and all, lets just say that I don't update this thread from any device with autocorrect.
    Lolz. Let us know how you like it please :) I might buy some new ones. My full hand grippers have run off again.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Lolz. Let us know how you like it please :) I might buy some new ones. My full hand grippers have run off again.

I don't. They have made me feel like less of a man in the hand grip department. But I'm going to learn to like them and get my man-card back!

It says "Most men who lift weights will not be able to close the #1 on their first try."

I sneered.

I shouldn't have.

It took me a go or two at it to fully close the #1.

My advice? Whatever you think you can do, go down by 0.5 on their # scale and buy those. I bought the Trainer, #1, #1.5, and #2.
    Now I am going back and buying the Sport and 0.5 (my left hand could not fully close the #1) as well as the Blue egg for warm-up and cool down.

So really, I could have saved money short-term by starting with lower expectations, as the #2 is just fun for looking at right now. Damn ego.

Anyway, so far that is my review. I have not yet gotten a work-out with them, just opened them up and tried them out. My grip is stronger than most people I know, and a #2 is worlds away from my capability. That tells me if I ever master the #2 gripper, I will be a mean man to shake hands with, indeed!

Last edited:

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I don't. They have made me feel like less of a man in the hand grip department. But I'm going to learn to like them and get my man-card back!

It says "Most men who lift weights will not be able to close the #1 on their first try."

I sneered.

I shouldn't have.

It took me a go or two at it to fully close the #1.

My advice? Whatever you think you can do, go down by 0.5 on their # scale and buy those. I bought the Trainer, #1, #1.5, and #2.
    Now I am going back and buying the Sport and 0.5 (my left hand could not fully close the #1) as well as the Blue egg for warm-up and cool down.

So really, I could have saved money short-term by starting with lower expectations, as the #2 is just fun for looking at right now. Damn ego.

Anyway, so far that is my review. I have not yet gotten a work-out with them, just opened them up and tried them out. My grip is stronger than most people I know, and a #2 is worlds away from my capability. That tells me if I ever master the #2 gripper, I will be a mean man to shake hands with, indeed!

Glad I wasnt' the only one. It took me quite some time to get to the #2. The #2.5 still laughed at me a lot. You have inspired me to get back at it though.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Awesomeness. I keep the 9lb per finger GripMaster at work and do workouts every other day with it and have noticed my grip getting much stronger. I did just order the pro version (due to me seeing this thread) which has 11 lb per finger. After a couple of months getting good at the 11 lb extra heavy tension one, I will probably look into the whole hand ones again. Keep us posted on how you progress and what you do :)

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Awesomeness. I keep the 9lb per finger GripMaster at work and do workouts every other day with it and have noticed my grip getting much stronger. I did just order the pro version (due to me seeing this thread) which has 11 lb per finger. After a couple of months getting good at the 11 lb extra heavy tension one, I will probably look into the whole hand ones again. Keep us posted on how you progress and what you do :)

Thanks. I'm a total noob to grip strength workouts, so I should see great noob gains if my experience with the gym is any indicator (in 4 months gained 1" to biceps flexed, and increased leg-press from 6 plates (total) on the sled to 14 for reps).

I'm waiting for the egg and the lighter grip to get here to really start, my left hand cannot warm up with the Trainer and go to the #1 without injury, and from what I understand, grip training can easily cause it if you skip warm-up, over-train, etc. The pamphlet the stuff came with has a basic routine and only suggests 2-3 workouts a week. Compared to the fact that I hit the gym 6-7 days a week and run 5 miles every 3rd day (knees bother me if I do more), this is "light training", but I don't think of it as such. I am willing to guess that this is an entirely different TYPE of muscle I am training.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Glad I wasnt' the only one. It took me quite some time to get to the #2. The #2.5 still laughed at me a lot. You have inspired me to get back at it though.

What life changes did you notice? I work in a hospital, and since I began dead-lifts and got to where I can do reps with 315, obese people are easier to move around when I have to pull them up in the bed, and my back has not been sore/hurt in quite some time due to work.

Has grip training made some similar meaningful difference to you?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom