Cold bore shot from my RARF

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • That Guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2021
    South of Houma
    Anyone else have a rim fire that is consistently off the very first shot? Shooting federal gold medal match. I crank it up 1.5 moa and left 2 moa, hit the bull, then put knobs back to zero and continue drilling the same hole as first shot. Let rifle rest and it’s back to square one.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I had a RARF but in 22 WMR. it did not perform like that. It actually shot tight groups often. No adjustment needed

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    In my experience, cold bore/fouled bore are two different issues.

Some rifles do that. I've known some highly competent riflemen up to national school instructor/LE instructor level that have just accepted that certain rifle/ammo combos have a cold bore shift that is unfortunate.

You can do what you've done and learn it, compensate for it, and truck on - or start over.

I don't buy into fouled bores any longer after getting a bore scope and seeing some corrosion/fouling on various guns. I clean it till its clean, run an oiled patch through, and then a final patch to try and leave a light coat in there. I haven't seen any issues across several rifles with this procedure.

I'd try a couple other brands of ammo if you can get them in this world gone crazy to see if the shift is as pronounced, if you can get the same or better accuracy.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I have heard before that you need to warm a rifle barrel up by firing a few shots through it. I’ve also heard the same when switching brands or types of ammo but personally that hasn’t been my experience. I can’t say I’ve ever noticed the first shot being off with a .22lr

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    IIRC... there was a very technical article in either Precision Shooting or The Accurate Rifle about this problem. Unfortunately, I lost all my copies in Katrina. Anyone else still have them?

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    In the rimfire world what you are describing is caused by a carbon ring in the chamber.

A good scrubbing of the chamber should remedy the problem.

Top Bottom