Colt M4 Carbine Finishes Last in Latest U.S. Army Small Arms Reliability Test

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    http://www.defensereview.com/modules...ticle&sid=1077
    Colt M4 Carbine Finishes Last in Latest U.S. Army Small Arms Reliability Test
    Posted on Tuesday, December 18 @ 02:26:35 PST by davidc

Rifles and Carbines by David Crane
    defrev at gmail.com

December 17, 2007

Ya' know that Colt M4 Carbine vs. Heckler & Koch (HK) HK416 vs. FN MK16 SCAR-Light (SCAR-L) vs. HK XM8 LAR extreme dust conditions reliability test that the U.S. Army Test and Evaluation Center (ATEC) at Aberdeen Proving Ground (APG), Md. was conducting? No? Well, we’ll tell ya’. The U.S. Army just got done conducting a test on all four weapons, and the results are in. Before we go through them, we’ll cut right to the chase: The Colt M4 Carbine came in dead last, with 882 stoppages over 60,000 rounds between ten (10) guns. Not great. But, more on that in a minute.

First, the purpose of this test was to expose the weapons to the same extreme dust and sand conditions/environment to which both the Colt M4/M4A1 Carbine and FN M16 rifle were exposed by U.S. Army weapons testers during a “systems assessment” test at Aberdeen last year and in the summer of this year. Here’s how the four 5.56x45mm NATO (5.56mm NATO)/.223 Rem. infantry rifle / carbines were tested:...

The ATEC team tested ten (10) sample guns of each weapon system (make/model), so 40 guns total were tested. Each (individual) gun/weapon got a heavy dose of lubricant, the muzzle was capped, and the ejection port cover was closed. Then, each weapon was exposed to heavy dust environment (i.e. a dust chamber) for 30 minutes. Then a tester fired 120 rounds through each weapon. Then, back in the dust chamber they went for another 30 minutes of dust bathing, before having to fire another 120 rounds. This process/sequence was repeated until each weapon had fired 600 rounds. Then, all the weapons were wiped down and lubed up again (heavy lubrication), and put back in the dust bath (dust chamber) for 30 minutes, 120 rounds fired through it, up to 600 rounds again.

You get the picture. Well this kept goin’ until each gun (i.e. individual rifle/carbine) had 6,000 rounds through it. 10 guns (individual weapon type) x 6,000 rounds = 60,000 rounds through each weapon type. And, here’s how the test fleshed out, best to worst (most reliable to least reliable):

XM8: 127 stoppages/malfunctions

Mk16 SCAR-L: 226 stoppages/malfunctions

HK416: 233 stoppages/malfunctions

M4 Carbine: 882 stoppages/malfunctions

What’s curious about the M4 Carbine's performance in this test is the fact that the ten (10) M4 Carbines that were tested to 60,000 (again, 6,000 rounds a piece) during the summer only experienced 307 malfunctions/stoppages, 643 of which were weapon-related malfunctions, and 239 of which were magazine-related malfunctions. According to Brig. Gen. Mark Brown of U.S. Army Program Executive Office Soldier (PEO Soldier), “test conditions for test two [summer] and three [latest] were ostensibly the same.” So, what was different? Different test officials, and different time of year. That’s pretty much it.

So, what’s the Army planning to do? Well, they sure aren’t planning to ditch the M4 for any one of its three conquerors. According to Col. Robert Radcliffe, Director, Combats, U.S. Army Infantry Center, Ft. Benning, GA, the Army’s going to stick with the M4 Carbine because soldier surveys from the Sandbox (i.e. Iraq and Afghanistan) show that U.S. Army combat troops like the weapon (compared to the M16). And, according to Brig. Gen. Brown, the Army’s looking for “leap ahead” / next-generation (a.k.a. next-gen) infantry small arms technology for a replacement weapon, not just minor, incremental improvements/capabilities like the HK416, FN MK16 SCAR-Light, and HK XM8.

So, you want some (unconfirmed/unverified) inside skinny i.e. rumor on the latest test, something you most likely won’t find anywhere else, even when everyone else starts reporting about this test? Here ya’ go, direct from one of our U.S. military contacts—and we're quoting:

"1. Because the HK416 and M4 were the only production weapons, the ten HK416 and M4 carbines were all borrowed 'sight unseen' and the manufacturers had no idea that they were for a test. The 10 SCARs and 10 XM-8s were all 'handmade' and delivered to Aberdeen with pretty much full knowledge of a test. (The SCAR even got some addition help with 'extra' lubrication)

2. With the HK416, 117 of the 233 malfunctions were from just one of the 10 weapons.

3. The 'survey' that BG Brown and COL Radcliffe are referring to in the article where they cite that the 'M4 is very popular amongst the soldiers deployed forward in combat,' was based on the soldiers just getting their M16s replaced by M4s. They were asked if they liked it [compared to the M16] and of course the answer is going to be yes. It is lighter and smaller with all these cool optics and lasers on them. Not to mention that average soldiers have no frame of reference when it comes to small arms, they're not really weapons experts."

But that’s not all. The real inside skinny is that proposals and design concepts for true “leap-ahead”/next-gen infantry small arms were submitted to the Joint Services Small Arms Program (JSSAP)-ARDEC / Picatinny Arsenal back in 2001 and 2002 by Arm West, LLC, which is headed up by lengendary small arms engineer/designer/developer Jim Sullivan (a.k.a. L. James Sullivan). I have personal knowledge of this, and I was personally involved in Arm West’s proposal for Broad Agency Announcement (BAA) 0400 for “Component Technologies” for the Lightweight Family of Weapons and Ammunition (LFWA) program in late 2002. I won’t talk about the specifics of the various compenent technologies that were submitted by Arm West. However, they were all viable, i.e. easily accomplishable by the Arm West team (Sullivan and his design/development partner), and most likely far superior to anything any of the competing large small arms manufacturers and defense companies could have possibly come up with and submitted, since none of them (FN Herstal (FNH), Heckler & Koch, Colt Defense, LLC, AAI Corp., ATK, GDATP, etc.) have small arms designers/engineers that can touch Sullivan and/or his partner with regard to skill, knowledge, experience, inventiveness, and downright genius. How do I know this? I just know. Am I biased towards Arm West? Yeah, ‘cause I know they’re, hands down, the best in the world.

But Arm West isn’t a large “established” small arms/firearms company, and they’re not in the system, i.e. one of the U.S. Army’s preferred contractors/suppliers. So, they get no play, i.e. no funding. Yeah, the U.S. Army is interested in "leap ahead" small arms technology for Big Green / Big Army, provided it comes from one of the inside companies / preferred contractors like FNH USA, Heckler & Koch, AAI Corp., Alliant Techsystems (ATK) etc. If it comes from a small, unknown company, well, good luck. That's just how it is. Messed up as it is, that's the U.S. military infantry small arms acquisition/procurement system, folks. It's cabal-like, fascistic and unforgiving--so you might as well get used to it. No one's successfully fought this broken small arms procurement/adoption system since Picatinny Arsenal and JSSAP were established. The U.S. Army Infantry Board at Fort Benning isn't innocent, either, and they're certainly not helping the situation.

Bottom line, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. It would take drastic measures to fix the system like it needs to be fixed, and neither the President nor Congress seems to want to fix it, nore do they seem to understand just how broken and corrupt it is. And the wheels keep turnin'.

Sound slightly similar to the U.S. Army body armor acquisition/procurement situation, perhaps?

Getting back to the recent small arms test and the competing weapons, rumor has it that Heckler & Koch (HK) will be manufacturing the HK416 5.56mm carbine/subcarbine--and possibly also the HK417 7.62mm carbine/subcarbine--domestically in the U.S., soon (unconfirmed/unverified). We’ll try to get confirmation on this. That’s good news, but it doesn’t look like that’s really going to matter to Big Army. Guess we’ll see. Regardless, elements (i.e. specific units) of the various Armed Forces, including the Army, will most likely continue to procure the HK416 in small numbers.

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    The Army press release about it:

The Army press release about it:

Army tests carbines for the third time in extreme dust
    Dec 17, 2007

Recently Army testing laboratories at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland,
    subjected the M4 carbine and three other weapons to a severe environmental
    test called the "Carbine Extreme Dust Test." The lab environment allowed
    engineers to push the weapons beyond their technical limits to better inform
    and understand what is required for the most capable weapons on the current
    battlefield. This was the third such test for the Army's carbine of choice,
    the M4.

The weapons were exposed to "heavy dusting," similar to an intense and
    sustained dust storm, several times for 25 hours. There were ten weapons of
    each of the four different types of carbines. Each fired 6,000 rounds
    (60,000 rounds per type). Individually, each weapon fired fifty 120 round
    cycles with minimal cleaning and lubrication (wiped and lubed every 600
    rounds; fully cleaned after every 1,200 rounds). The maintenance performed
    during the test was the equivalent to not performing even minimal cleaning
    of the weapon until after firing nearly three basic loads of ammunition (a
    Soldier's basic load is 210 rounds).

The Army noted all the weapons in the test performed well: the number of
    stoppages all the carbines exhibited was roughly one percent or less of the
    total rounds fired by each, meaning the weapons had over a 98% reliability
    rate under these unique conditions. Though the M4 performed exceptionally
    well, it came in fourth compared to the other three carbines in this
    particular extreme single-environment (dust as the only condition) testing.
    The Army is taking these test results seriously. These preliminary results
    revealed or confirmed several areas for potential materiel improvements to
    the M4 and the other weapon types in the test. A full analysis of the test
    data is expected in several weeks, and the Army will evaluate those areas
    that can be improved.

The M4 in particular is a weapon subjected to intense scrutiny and remains
    one of the most improved pieces of Army equipment: there have been over
    390 improvements since it was introduced into the force. But it has become
    one of the most popular weapons in the Army inventory: every post-combat
    survey taken in the last several years shows an almost 90% approval rating
    for the M4 among Soldiers. Official requests and "operational needs
    statements" from the combat zones show the M4 as the weapon of choice for its size,
    weight, versatility and performance.

Soldiers shared their comments about the M4 in recent surveys. "The M4 was
    an extremely dependable weapon system," writes a 10th Mountain Division
    (Light Infantry) command sergeant major who served in Afghanistan. "We
    operated at extreme elevations (10,000 feet) along with extreme climate
    changes from one end of the spectrum to the other. I cannot remember any
    occasions where an M4 malfunctioned or failed to perform."

A 10th Mountain first sergeant writes "Of all the weapons that I have fired
    in the Army, I like the M4 best."

Similar comments come from other Army divisions. "The 101st has no issues
    with the M4 and, as a matter of fact the Soldiers of all MOS's to include
    cooks, mechanics, administrative clerks and nurses are getting very
    proficient with the M4," writes a 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault)
    command sergeant major.

"While I am confident in the reliability, accuracy and effectiveness of the
    M4 in today's fight because of what Soldiers tell us, we're never satisfied
    with good enough," said General Dick Cody, the Army's Vice Chief of Staff.
    "We will look at the test results when they are complete and assess any
    needed adjustments to the M4. We will also determine if our requirements
    need to change for this weapon."

"The Soldier in the field is our number one priority," Secretary of the Army
    Pete Geren said. "And that means testing our equipment to the highest of
    standards so that we can understand and improve their performance in the
    harshest of conditions. Our commitment is to continue to field the best
    equipped and best trained fighting force in
    the world."

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    Thanks for the info! I agree that the M4 needs to be replaced, even if the other gun companies picked and chose the cream of the crop to be provided - shouldn't they have fired like that anyway? They should have if that gun is in production. I'm too lazy to look, but are any of those in production (besides the M4) or are they all pre-production?

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Thanks for the info! I agree that the M4 needs to be replaced, even if the other gun companies picked and chose the cream of the crop to be provided - shouldn't they have fired like that anyway? They should have if that gun is in production. I'm too lazy to look, but are any of those in production (besides the M4) or are they all pre-production?

I believe none of them are in production.

(The M16 system NEEDS to be replaced... BADLY, but not by anything without a track record)

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    "1. Because the HK416 and M4 were the only production weapons, the ten HK416 and M4 carbines were all borrowed 'sight unseen' and the manufacturers had no idea that they were for a test. The 10 SCARs and 10 XM-8s were all 'handmade' and delivered to Aberdeen with pretty much full knowledge of a test. (The SCAR even got some addition help with 'extra' lubrication)

The motto of the goverment is to do more with less.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SSWEEEE
    Top Bottom