Constitutional Carry, passed the House of Representatives by a veto proof majority

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I get "shall not be infringed", but thoughts on idiots (not criminals, but folks with short fuses, guys who think their dicks just got bigger, etc...) who probably shouldn't be carrying, and haven't, because they obey the law? But if they can legally carry, they will, but they will probably cause problems, possibly lethal ones.
    They have 27 other states that have legalized it… haven’t heard one negative news report about any of the above happening in any of those states and the way the world is today if somebody sneezed with a gun and dropped it ,we would know about it, it would be mainstream news….

We should give up our freedoms cause Sombody might be stupid… I do not support “ group therapy” for the bad eggs…

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I get "shall not be infringed", but thoughts on idiots (not criminals, but folks with short fuses, guys who think their dicks just got bigger, etc...) who probably shouldn't be carrying, and haven't, because they obey the law? But if they can legally carry, they will, but they will probably cause problems, possibly lethal ones.
    If they do, they do. What's different now? People have guns strapped everywhere I look. There are hostile drivers everywhere every day. There are hostile people everywhere every day.

The difference is, people that don't want a permit, people that don't want to carry a gun every day, will now be within the law when they need to conceal a handgun for safety's sake.

I know many that fall into that category.

They said blood would run in the streets if they approved concealed carry permits and it didn't happen. LEO's all over the state were opposed to it, and it passed and nothing horrible has happened. Other states have concealed carry without permit and they seem to be doing ok. I'm failing to see the downside.

We will have idiots among us and around us forever and always, that's no reason to hold ourselves back. There are many, many, reasons this is a great law long overdue.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    They have 27 other states that have legalized it… haven’t heard one negative news report about any of the above happening in any of those states and the way the world is today if somebody sneezed with a gun and dropped it ,we would know about it, it would be mainstream news….

We should give up our freedoms cause Sombody might be stupid… I do not support “ group therapy” for the bad eggs…
    Good point

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    But I agree 100% JBE will either veto it, which I don’t think he can because of the majority, or will let it sit on his desk and do nothing, but I think with a certain amount of majority that’s not an option … I could be wrong and don’t know what that magic number is also lol

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    That’s where the majority comes in to play
    Text of Section 18: (Louisiana State Constitution)

Gubernatorial Action on Bills; Sign, Failure to Sign, Veto; Veto Session

(A) Gubernatorial Action. If the governor does not approve a bill, he may veto it. A bill, except a joint resolution, shall become law if the governor signs it or if he fails to sign or veto it within ten days after delivery to him if the legislature is in session on the tenth day after such delivery, or within twenty days after delivery if the tenth day after delivery occurs after the legislature is adjourned.

(B) Veto Message. If the governor vetoes a bill, he shall return it to the legislature, with his veto message within twelve days after delivery to him if the legislature is in session. If the governor returns a vetoed bill after the legislature adjourns, he shall return it, with his veto message, as provided by law.

(C) Veto Session.

(1) A bill vetoed and returned and subsequently approved by two-thirds of the elected members of each house shall become law. The legislature shall meet in veto session in the state capital at noon on the fortieth day following final adjournment of the most recent session, to consider all bills vetoed by the governor. If the fortieth day falls on Sunday, the session shall convene at noon on the succeeding Monday. No veto session shall exceed five calendar days, and any veto session may be finally adjourned prior to the end of the fifth day upon a vote of two-thirds of the elected members of each house. (2) No veto session shall be held if a majority of the elected members of either house declare in writing that a veto session is unnecessary. The declaration must be received by the presiding officer of the respective houses at least five days prior to the day on which the veto session is to convene.[1]

This Bill comes down to this:

If it passes the Senate with the 2/3 majority there, and with no changes that make it unsavory in the House, it gets finalized, then it will go to Edwards as a passed Bill. Which triggers the scenarios above.

I personally believe, the only way it becomes law is if he (Edwards), knows for sure that both Chambers will hold together in Veto Session, and; 1) Just takes no action on it at all and it become law anyway; or 2) he Vetoes, and both Chambers over-ride him in the "Veto Session."

I doubt very seriously Edwards won't veto it. He is a democrat and is opposed to this because of that! He knows damn good and well that the 27 other states that have it are having no; "end of world" issues that the left loves to toss around as propaganda. He is going to veto it just to see if he can derail it in the v-session. As I said somewhere before, he does not want to be the first democrat governor to have that legacy.

He does have political cover though if he wants to just let it become law without him doing anything. He can just point to those 2 Chamber's republican super-majorities, and say there was no way he would have broken (bribed), enough of them to derail it in the v-session. But we've seen that movie before!

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Text of Section 18: (Louisiana State Constitution)

Gubernatorial Action on Bills; Sign, Failure to Sign, Veto; Veto Session

(A) Gubernatorial Action. If the governor does not approve a bill, he may veto it. A bill, except a joint resolution, shall become law if the governor signs it or if he fails to sign or veto it within ten days after delivery to him if the legislature is in session on the tenth day after such delivery, or within twenty days after delivery if the tenth day after delivery occurs after the legislature is adjourned.

(B) Veto Message. If the governor vetoes a bill, he shall return it to the legislature, with his veto message within twelve days after delivery to him if the legislature is in session. If the governor returns a vetoed bill after the legislature adjourns, he shall return it, with his veto message, as provided by law.

(C) Veto Session.

(1) A bill vetoed and returned and subsequently approved by two-thirds of the elected members of each house shall become law. The legislature shall meet in veto session in the state capital at noon on the fortieth day following final adjournment of the most recent session, to consider all bills vetoed by the governor. If the fortieth day falls on Sunday, the session shall convene at noon on the succeeding Monday. No veto session shall exceed five calendar days, and any veto session may be finally adjourned prior to the end of the fifth day upon a vote of two-thirds of the elected members of each house. (2) No veto session shall be held if a majority of the elected members of either house declare in writing that a veto session is unnecessary. The declaration must be received by the presiding officer of the respective houses at least five days prior to the day on which the veto session is to convene.[1]

This Bill comes down to this:

If it passes the Senate with the 2/3 majority there, and with no changes that make it unsavory in the House, it gets finalized, then it will go to Edwards as a passed Bill. Which triggers the scenarios above.

I personally believe, the only way it becomes law is if he (Edwards), knows for sure that both Chambers will hold together in Veto Session, and; 1) Just takes no action on it at all and it become law anyway; or 2) he Vetoes, and both Chambers over-ride him in the "Veto Session."

I doubt very seriously Edwards won't veto it. He is a democrat and is opposed to this because of that! He knows damn good and well that the 27 other states that have it are having no; "end of world" issues that the left loves to toss around as propaganda. He is going to veto it just to see if he can derail it in the v-session. As I said somewhere before, he does not want to be the first democrat governor to have that legacy.

He does have political cover though if he wants to just let it become law without him doing anything. He can just point to those 2 Chamber's republican super-majorities, and say there was no way he would have broken (bribed), enough of them to derail it in the v-session. But we've seen that movie before!
    I go to Tennessee all the time and they have it. I could even carry legally there as a Louisiana resident. I mostly Carry there when hiking for bears. It is awesome to be able to carry without a permit.

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    Saving my money now....... My CHP expired on the 14 May 2023 but now carry 3 forms of ID to prove that I am a veteran in good standing which allows ccw without a CHP.... At my age do not plan on trying to travel and carry outside the state needing cross state line authorization. ................................................. drill sgt.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    I will continue to carry my CHP. I travel frequently, and enjoy the reciprocity offered by other states.

It also has ended the countless delays when purchasing a firearm.

I'm a veteran as well.
    This ^^^^

I also travel frequently, but skipping the NICS is worth the price of admission for me. I didn't have many problems before the permit, but when my buddy forgets to produce his permit when buying a gun, he is almost always delayed. You'd think he'd remember after the first time, but you'd be wrong.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    • Patrick Connick
    • Louie Bernard
    • Franklin Foil

These three republicans changed their vote last time when it came to overturn jbe's veto. They flopped at the last minute.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Attachments

• IMG_1052.png
      IMG_1052.png
      630.9 KB · Views: 61

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Saving my money now....... My CHP expired on the 14 May 2023 but now carry 3 forms of ID to prove that I am a veteran in good standing which allows ccw without a CHP.... At my age do not plan on trying to travel and carry outside the state needing cross state line authorization. ................................................. drill sgt.
    The good thing is just about every state around us is also a constitutional carry state so if you’re just staying on the gulf coast or in the general south you don’t need one.

I’m also a veteran and have no plans of giving the government anymore money than I have too. It would be nice not to have to wait 20 minutes for a 4473 to come back when buying but I’ll gladly wait the 10-20 minutes and shoot the stuff with the local gun shop over give the gooberment more money.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

This happened yesterday. One more step closer!

Don't know who is putting this info out there about Edwards signing it if it gets to him, but it sounds fishy. I am going to remain optimistically suspicious.

Let me preface the following statement by saying, I do not believe this is a controversial Bill. It is OUR RIGHT, and should have been done long ago.

Nonetheless, if it is bypassing a (any), Committee; that is a good sign! Committees and Governors are a controversial Bills worst enemies!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Apple cider vinegarOTR
    Top Bottom