Converting a Remington Rolling Block .43 Egyptian to a Muzzle Loader

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Danny Ross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2022
    Bush, LA
    I picked up a Remington Rolling Block chambered in .43 Egyptian (AKA 11.43x50Rmm Egyptian) in rough condition to play with. If brass for this cartridge is available I was not able to find it, so I tried adapting it to 45-70 government brass, hand-loaded with paper patched .442 projectiles but that did not work.
    Next I reamed out the chamber with a 37/64 drill (.5781) and threaded it to 5/8-18 (this is thread used in the breech plugs of many commercial muzzle loaders, Knight, CVA and Thompson-Center being examples). I made a breech plug for the 209 shotgun primer, but the Rolling Block action does not seal well and I experienced blow back. More successful was a breech plug using the .32 H&R Magnum cartridge, and that is where my experimentation stands now. I'll probably make breech plugs using .357 Magnum (which can also use .38 Special and .357 Maximum brass) and .41 Magnum brass. I like the 5/8-18 thread because commercial bolts are available from which breech plugs can be made without having to thread the bolt.

Attachments

• Receiver plus 32 HR.jpg
      Receiver plus 32 HR.jpg
      292.9 KB · Views: 62
    • Tools.jpg
      Tools.jpg
      384.4 KB · Views: 59

Danny Ross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2022
    Bush, LA
    Tedious? I do not find it so. My wife, on the other hand.....

I find it very satisfying to take something that doesn't work and make something useful out of it. And I'm always learning. What may have taken me an hour the first time I do it might only take me a small fraction of that the second or third time I do it.

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    I do understand and agree---I'm basically the same being a retired mechanic---my dad was also a gunsmith.---don't do much mechanic work anymore due to age and a few medical problems. My guns are another story though---Have a good day!!!

hrt4me

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2023
    Kenner, LA
    you possibly could have found .43 Egyptian brass on the various auction sites, e.g. GunBroker, eBay, ProxiBid, etc.

Danny Ross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2022
    Bush, LA
    you possibly could have found .43 Egyptian brass on the various auction sites, e.g. GunBroker, eBay, ProxiBid, etc.
    If any .43 Egyptian cartridges are available, they are only available as collector pieces. I'm a tinkerer and a sort-of shooter, and have no interest in paying collector prices for a cartridge or two.

Top Bottom