Converting generator to NG

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Anyone have experience with the conversion kit for portable generators for natural gas? Thinking of getting the kit for my predator 9000. Any insight is appreciated in terms of reliability.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I have a link to a place but have to get it off my laptop.
    I think Gator45/70 William gave it to me. PM him he's a good egg.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Will the conversion work for the basic Briggs and Stratton generators?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    I have a kit from PNG technologies on my 5500w briggs. Been alternating between gas and propane for the last few days. Propane for the run during the day and gas at night, but thankfully secured pipe today to run a natural gas line to it. I have been thoroughly impressed with the kit so far, it took about 15min to install. It's a tri fuel kit.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Great info. Thanks sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    You can get the carbs that convert it to run off Propane, Gasoline, and Natural Gas. I have mine on order right now. You have to check the bolt pattern on the carb. Most carbs sold are for Honda and Honda Clones of the GX series.

On the smaller generators the stud spacing is 42mm. Look for a carburetor relates to the 160F or 170F Chinese engines.

On the larger generators the stud spacing is 52mm. Look for a carburator for a 180F or 190F Chinese engine.

You can get everything you need on Amazon or Ebay.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Does not put out as much power as gas, but it is handy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a conversion kit this isn't true for most portable units. You aren't changing to fuel delivery method, just the fuel. As long as the engine is running 3400-3700rpm, power output is still the same. Some engines require a small mod to the gov arm, but it is handy for sure. I finally secured the fittings to get mine on nat gas as of today.

Old School

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    DTR
    On a conversion kit this isn't true for most portable units. You aren't changing to fuel delivery method, just the fuel. As long as the engine is running 3400-3700rpm, power output is still the same. Some engines require a small mod to the gov arm, but it is handy for sure. I finally secured the fittings to get mine on nat gas as of today.

I have a duel fuel generator and the manufacture says it doesn’t put out as much power, so you can take that up with them

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    I have a duel fuel generator and the manufacture says it doesn’t put out as much power, so you can take that up with them

Fuel delivery method is different for a factory made dual fuel unit. A conversion kit still pushes fuel via carb inlet, regardless of fuel. As long as the gen head is turning 3400-3600 rpm, you're making the same power.

Carb jets will only push so much unleaded fuel. Conversion kits are atomizing the fuel pre carb. You can push the 1.25x nat gas needed and or 1.36x propane needed to equal the 1x unleaded fuel required.

Old School

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    DTR
    Fuel delivery method is different for a factory made dual fuel unit. A conversion kit still pushes fuel via carb inlet, regardless of fuel. As long as the gen head is turning 3400-3600 rpm, you're making the same power.

Carb jets will only push so much unleaded fuel. Conversion kits are atomizing the fuel pre carb. You can push the 1.25x nat gas needed and or 1.36x propane needed to equal the 1x unleaded fuel required.

If you say so!

Stonehenge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2016
    Slaughter
    Swapped mine over a while back, its a lifan 7500. Honda gx390 clone. Bought a dual fuel carb off amazon for $23. Used an old acetalyne regulator on the bottle and a piece of 3/8 air hose between the two.

The hardest part is finding a decent low pressure regulator that both works and stays working.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I have a kit from PNG technologies on my 5500w briggs. Been alternating between gas and propane for the last few days. Propane for the run during the day and gas at night, but thankfully secured pipe today to run a natural gas line to it. I have been thoroughly impressed with the kit so far, it took about 15min to install. It's a tri fuel kit.

I think I read that with the conversion kit, to go back to gasoline you have to physically take the kit off? Is that what you've found? Is it annoying or is there a quick disconnect or something?

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    I think I read that with the conversion kit, to go back to gasoline you have to physically take the kit off? Is that what you've found? Is it annoying or is there a quick disconnect or something?

This kit is a tri-fuel kit, it leaves the existing fuel system intact, and it was a requirement of mine to purchase the kit.

The only thing I did was make a temp adjustment to the gov to keep rpms at 3600 under load on nat gas. This was the first time I had a chance to utilize the kit, I'm thankful that I had it on the shelf. I was able to pivot fuel before I ever got to the point of running out of unleaded.

Top Bottom