Converting generator to NG

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    This kit is a tri-fuel kit, it leaves the existing fuel system intact, and it was a requirement of mine to purchase the kit.

The only thing I did was make a temp adjustment to the gov to keep rpms at 3600 under load on nat gas. This was the first time I had a chance to utilize the kit, I'm thankful that I had it on the shelf. I was able to pivot fuel before I ever got to the point of running out of unleaded.

I'm looking at the PNG kit and don't see a downside. How do you have it hooked to NG? I'm looking at getting a 3/4" hose to run about 50 feet from the side of the house, instead of spending $1200 to get NG piped onto my patio from the attic. Are you using a hose, and if so, can you provide the details on the hose and fittings?

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    I'm looking at the PNG kit and don't see a downside. How do you have it hooked to NG? I'm looking at getting a 3/4" hose to run about 50 feet from the side of the house, instead of spending $1200 to get NG piped onto my patio from the attic. Are you using a hose, and if so, can you provide the details on the hose and fittings?

I'm working on locating a suitable 3/4 hose with quick connects for future use. Being as this was sourced post storm, it's currently 1" pipe run from the meter to the middle of my backyard and connected to the generator via a 36" 3/4 appliance hose. I had to use what I could get my hands on. Thankfully I have a lot of experience running nat gas pipe so it wasn't a daunting task.

foz1359

Time Traveler
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Jefferson Parish
    Gas Vapor conversion kits feed NG/LP through an adpater block that's installed AFTER the carb. The carb has nothing at all to do with NG/LP vapor delivery.

foz1359

Time Traveler
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Jefferson Parish
    Fuel delivery method is different for a factory made dual fuel unit. A conversion kit still pushes fuel via carb inlet, regardless of fuel. As long as the gen head is turning 3400-3600 rpm, you're making the same power.

Carb jets will only push so much unleaded fuel. Conversion kits are atomizing the fuel pre carb. You can push the 1.25x nat gas needed and or 1.36x propane needed to equal the 1x unleaded fuel required.

You got it all wrong on portable gensets, brother. The conversion kits send the vapor through a block after the carb.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I have one on an older Briggs 6kw -that sucker is a lifesaver!

My old Briggs was a lifesaver till Sat night at 930pm. Maybe Flex Seal? Gorilla? J-B weld? It was kept around as a backup. Many hours but always received proper maintenance bought in the early 90s. But my large Generator was down so.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvdlD_b9uXo

Attachments

• hole.jpg
      hole.jpg
      97.5 KB · Views: 73
    Last edited:

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Gas Vapor conversion kits feed NG/LP through an adpater block that's installed AFTER the carb. The carb has nothing at all to do with NG/LP vapor delivery.

You got it all wrong on portable gensets, brother. The conversion kits send the vapor through a block after the carb.

I can assure you, in my case, I do not have it wrong brother. Try again.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I'm working on locating a suitable 3/4 hose with quick connects for future use. Being as this was sourced post storm, it's currently 1" pipe run from the meter to the middle of my backyard and connected to the generator via a 36" 3/4 appliance hose. I had to use what I could get my hands on. Thankfully I have a lot of experience running nat gas pipe so it wasn't a daunting task.

I'm looking at this.

https://www.amazon.com/Tubing-Fitti...t=&hvlocphy=9025382&hvtargid=pla-569242517163

stogie5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2016
    Slidell,LA
    I know a few people who have used kits from https://www.uscarburetion.com/ but I have no personal experience with them.

I've used this for two storms now on my Harbor Freight Predator 8750 surge/7000 constant Chinese honda Gennie. Its been absolutely flawless. It was suggested to me by a friend in Mobile that was running his on propane and he didn't recommend propane unless you have a HUGE tank, but on NG its been just flawless. The snorkel method they sell does not require a new carb or anything else except installing the snorkel between the block and the carb, took about 15 minutes. The system IS trifuel, you use whatever you have, obviously propane takes a different regulator than NG.

I bought it in 2017 when my mother was sick, and having her here and in hospice, I needed backup power. I contacted the gas company to come out and tell me what gas supply I have, so I would know what generator I could run. I built my house in 2001 and the gas connection is what the gas company calls 'high pressure", 2 psi, so I have plenty of volume for 10kw as it is, plumbed to my gas grill outlet. Gas company rep said if I put my generator at the meter, I have enough gas to run 20-25kw. I now look after my 83 year old uncle in my house, so having reliable power without having to run all over hells creation to get gasoline is essential. I DON'T run it 24/7, I DID run it 12 hours straight two nights running for the AC and my fridge/freezer, and the old man wanted his TV, he didn't care about being hot but dammit he wanted his TV, so I ran it over night and let him watch his TV. At daylight I made coffee and breakfast, and shut it down for the day to cool.

But all this is ONLY until he is gone. My wife and I are 51, and in reasonable health. When my Uncle passes on, the plan will be to lock up, board up, and LEAVE. I have no kids and not much family, I am already getting too old to fight Mama Nature. :cool:

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Yes I’m pretty sure. It’s a simple little swap with different carb setup.

I've seen water cooled units with the gas line going through the radiator hoses. You can't vapor lock a gas. This apparently, heating up the natural gas cuts down on your fuel consumption significantly. I don't know how you could achieve this on an air cooled engine.

foz1359

Time Traveler
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Jefferson Parish
    My old Briggs was a lifesaver till Sat night at 930pm. Maybe Flex Seal? Gorilla? J-B weld? It was kept around as a backup. Many hours but always received proper maintenance bought in the early 90s. But my large Generator was down so.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvdlD_b9uXo

Damn it all -that wasn't any way to get good sleep! What did you o to replace it? If you're any like me you'll prob grab another 10hp engine and keep that ole 4kw gen ginning! I had a NIB genset (best friend is a dealer) on my patio waiting for just such an issue and am thankful my Sat night was a lot less eventful! Two little grands live with us full time so was trying to cover all the comfort bases as best I could. I need to adjust my valves and replace the plug on mine and hope it'll be a good backup to the new 14kw standby genset. We'll see how it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rynola
    Top Bottom