Crosman Storm XT

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Last June, after reading an airgun thread here on BSC, I got a wild hair for a pellet gun, something I've never owned.

I started reading about the Gamos, some of which are available at Wal-Mart. While there, I saw the Crosman Storm XT and then did some research.

Here's the gun: http://www.crosman.com/site/listing/1342

And a couple of review pages:
    http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews114230.html
    http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/5913352/reviews.htm

The reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

Hardwood stock, 1000FPS, all steel, with a 3-9 x 32 scope. Pretty much the same specs as the Gamo, except a better scope and less plasticky, in my opinion. Plus, the price at the time was $88.88! (They are now about $109.00).

I picked one up, and have been very pleased with it. The only weakness, which is mentioned in the reviews, is that the scope rings suck. For about $14.00 (now $14.95) I bought a very sturdy 1-piece scope mount, which solved the problem very well.

I haven't shot it nearly as much as I'd like, but lately have been having a lot of fun "varminting" the rats that sneak out of the ditch to steal bird seed from my feeder. I plan on posting my rat-killing exploits in a lighthearted thread pretty soon.

I intend to drop a GRT-III trigger into the Crosman, as its factory trigger isn't too great. The GRT-III is inexpensive and apparently the best thing since sliced bread. It is a crisp, very precise trigger with an average pull of around 1.5 pounds.

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    I think mine is screwed up, or I'm just an idiot. I can't get any better than 8 inch groupings at 20 yards with all different types of pellets. When the money is in the budget for the 1 piece scope mount I'll take a look see, hopefully that is the problem.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    I think mine is screwed up, or I'm just an idiot. I can't get any better than 8 inch groupings at 20 yards with all different types of pellets. When the money is in the budget for the 1 piece scope mount I'll take a look see, hopefully that is the problem.
    When I first bought it, I tried shooting it at about 30 yards. I was hitting the target decently with the built-in sights. I then mounted the scope using the factory rings, and COULD NOT HIT THE PAPER! Those rings allow the scope to wobble, regardless of how much you tighten them.

I ordered the 1-piece mount about a week later!

Since then, I haven't taken the time to truly zero the scope, evaluate different pellets, etc. but it seems to be shooting well. The other day I test-fired some cheap HP pellets into water, at a range just under 13 yards. I wasn't concentrating 100% on accuracy, but was more interested in seeing the expansion and how far they went in water. Still, a 6-shot group measured 3/4".

I do want to test the accuracy at longer distances. For now though, it's well within "minute of rat" in the backyard kill zone, which ranges from 13-17 yards.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Funny you put this up Greg. I had intentions of going to get this one (see below) on saturday from bass pro. They are on sale for 99.99.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_95094____SearchResults
    Overall, the Gamo 1200 tied the Crosman on this review site with 4.2 out of 5.

I seem to recall that the Gamo's "fluted bull barrel" is actually just a fluted plastic shroud over a regular barrel. That didn't sit well with me. Also, the scopes they use on the Gamos get bad reviews.

The Gamos have a big following, and a good reputation. I just thought the Crosman was sturdier, and the wood stock and overall look and feel impressed me. Definitely read up on them both, and make a decision accordingly. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Overall, the Gamo 1200 tied the Crosman on this review site with 4.2 out of 5.

I seem to recall that the Gamo's "fluted bull barrel" is actually just a fluted plastic shroud over a regular barrel. That didn't sit well with me. Also, the scopes they use on the Gamos get bad reviews.

The Gamos have a big following, and a good reputation. I just thought the Crosman was sturdier, and the wood stock and overall look and feel impressed me. Definitely read up on them both, and make a decision accordingly. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Eh, the price sold me. But since you pooped in my kool-aid :D i'm kinda digging the crossman too.....

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom