Crossing state lines under new CCW rules

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Devonian

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2024
    Walker
    Had a discussion with someone yesterday about the new CCW laws. Her permit has expired so she plans to carry without one, as allowed under the new rules. However, she frequently travels to MS and sometimes other States. Based on my understanding, unless the other state(s) allows unpermitted CCW by non-residents, you are basically illegal once you cross out of Louisiana. I suggested she needs to renew her permit.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    She needs to research the firearm laws in those States . Concealed carry is out but she can still have a firearm in her possession . Loaded or unloaded is the question .

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    She needs to research the firearm laws in those States . Concealed carry is out but she can still have a firearm in her possession . Loaded or unloaded is the question .
    You say that concealed carry is out, but my question is why? As I've stated numerous times before when this comes up, there was only one constitutional carry state (North Dakota) that had a resident only provision and that was recently changed. Any state that has constitutional carry should be good to go at this point. Yes, the laws do vary to a degree and they'll need to check those, but a blanket "no" is false. If you can point me to anything that says otherwise, by all means please do.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Had a discussion with someone yesterday about the new CCW laws. Her permit has expired so she plans to carry without one, as allowed under the new rules. However, she frequently travels to MS and sometimes other States. Based on my understanding, unless the other state(s) allows unpermitted CCW by non-residents, you are basically illegal once you cross out of Louisiana. I suggested she needs to renew her permit.
    Here's is the info. for MS from https://www.handgunlaw.us/:

1724086183103.png

This is for Texas:

1724086342853.png

1724086361658.png

Arkansas:

1724086404701.png

I suggest your friend checks out this site and the links provided before just casually carrying into another state. Unless they want to be willing to test the laws.

Devonian

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2024
    Walker
    You say that concealed carry is out, but my question is why? As I've stated numerous times before when this comes up, there was only one constitutional carry state (North Dakota) that had a resident only provision and that was recently changed. Any state that has constitutional carry should be good to go at this point. Yes, the laws do vary to a degree and they'll need to check those, but a blanket "no" is false. If you can point me to anything that says otherwise, by all means please do.
    I have not done extensive research, and am not an expert, hence asking the question. I read the same as quoted previously for MS, which certainly seems as if it does not restrict the right to carry to MS residents only. Reading about the new Louisiana statute, some places state that it applies to Louisiana residents, whereas others say "any person legally allowed to possess a firearm" without reference to their place of residence. From my previous professional experience with environmental laws, I know you often need to read a lot further than the immediate text of the law that you are interested in, to get all the nuances.

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    I have not done extensive research, and am not an expert, hence asking the question. I read the same as quoted previously for MS, which certainly seems as if it does not restrict the right to carry to MS residents only. Reading about the new Louisiana statute, some places state that it applies to Louisiana residents, whereas others say "any person legally allowed to possess a firearm" without reference to their place of residence. From my previous professional experience with environmental laws, I know you often need to read a lot further than the immediate text of the law that you are interested in, to get all the nuances.
    I was replying to the second comment from Dantheman. There is a alot on misinformation out there with a fair bit of it coming it from forums like this and i was trying to mitigate that. Trust me, I completely get where you and friend are coming from. The important thing to note from nolaradio's post is the use of "any person" rather than "any resident".
    Edited to add- I should also mention that some of the bad info is coming from none other than our state police. They did an interview a few weeks ago saying it only applies to Louisiana residents but that's also incorect according to Blake Migues, the author of the bill. Also wanted to mention that USCCA has no mention of it applying only to state residents on their constitutional carry map

Devonian

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2024
    Walker
    I just did some MORE reading and it seems as if there is an amendment for the new Louisiana law. Could not tell if it is in effect or simply proposed, but it strips out all the provisions for servicemen and others who are allowed permitless carry, in addition to residents, and replaces those with the "any person" language. So it would seem that there is, indeed, a move to make permitless CCW accessible to anyone, not just residents. Again, if that language is typical, I expect it is likely the same across all states that have permitless CCW laws. I think I'd still want to check before travelling.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I was replying to the second comment from Dantheman. There is a alot on misinformation out there with a fair bit of it coming it from forums like this and i was trying to mitigate that.
    Please forgive my well intentioned but obviously incorrect comment . I shall attempt to refrain from offering " legal advice " in the future and leave that up to better qualified people .

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom