curious if Louisiana has laws on books for the auditors we always see on youtube

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I have not every paid much attention to the public auditors that make video of their interaction in a provocative manor with Leos to garner attention. I feel this is in part a divisive thing and causes some hard feelings and preconceived notions for those on both sides of the camera.
    I started thinking, how does Louisiana handle the parking lot access, or the public road access for guys who video .. We all know the type, stop and record cops during a stop or something , but they are supposedly on the public road or accessible to the public paid by taxes.
    Or perhaps how they handle the auditors who challenge the deputy on things. We are a special state and I always was curious how that is handled here..

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    There is a couple (man and woman) who do this regularly in Baton Rouge. They go to the scenes and try to engage the officers and aggravate them. I guess they are wanting to get arrested so they can sue instead of working. The officers just ignore them and make sure their own cameras are recording.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Yes, we do have laws. The very first amendment to the US Constitution covers most of it.
    Supreme Court rulings cover more. And then there’s case law.
    Freedom of speech, freedom of the press, whatever you can view in public can be recorded, public access, public right of way or easements, etc…
    Then there is the 4th amendment.
    Then the 5th amendment.
    And another pile of case law and a few Supreme Court rulings.
    Basically, whether or not one of these guys is just practicing his rights or is looking for a payday off the city doesn’t really matter. You either agree with our constitution or you don’t. You either support and uphold it or you don’t. When you don’t, there can definitely be consequences for someone and a payday for someone else.
    My take on auditors is, they come in many flavors. Some simply stop and record police interactions in the name of keeping things honest. I believe some truly do act an ass and taunt and provoke and hope for the payday. There are also groups of people who go out in public and say things I don’t like or don’t agree with. Some even object to my way of life and force their political views on me while I’m going about my day, until I walk away. But they have the right to do so. and so do I. So, on the whole, I don’t have the right to begrudge them the freedom to speak their mind or gather in public or gather public information and produce a story as long as they and the story remain lawful. I also have the right to walk away and turn a deaf ear or a blind eye to any of their offerings that I disagree with. When everyone follows our Constitution and Bill of Rights there won’t be so much conflict and so many incidents. But we may never see that day.

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    There is a couple (man and woman) who do this regularly in Baton Rouge. They go to the scenes and try to engage the officers and aggravate them. I guess they are wanting to get arrested so they can sue instead of working. The officers just ignore them and make sure their own cameras are recording.

The problem I see most of the time is that the Officers will walk across the street to engage these people . I don't understand why they don't just ignore them . They are NOT interfering by filming from a distance , so don't play into their game .

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Whether you're the President of the United States, a soldier, or the local dog catcher you swear an oath to "preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States." I took the oath when I was a roving Cencus taker in 1990, and took the Oath of Office more recently. If you violate that oath on while on film, or otherwise break the law, you deserve to be sued, charged with malfeasance, and lose your job. Furthermore, you have freedom of speech while in public. Magdump gets it, sidewalks easements, rights of way, servitudes, parks, public buildings et al. are all public places. If Magdump gets it, why is it what Breyer, Kagan, and Sotomayor, can't understand that the 50 yard line of a football field at a public school is a public space???

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Yes, we do have laws. The very first amendment to the US Constitution covers most of it.
    Supreme Court rulings cover more. And then there’s case law.
    Freedom of speech, freedom of the press, whatever you can view in public can be recorded, public access, public right of way or easements, etc…
    Then there is the 4th amendment.
    Then the 5th amendment.
    And another pile of case law and a few Supreme Court rulings.
    Basically, whether or not one of these guys is just practicing his rights or is looking for a payday off the city doesn’t really matter. You either agree with our constitution or you don’t. You either support and uphold it or you don’t. When you don’t, there can definitely be consequences for someone and a payday for someone else.
    My take on auditors is, they come in many flavors. Some simply stop and record police interactions in the name of keeping things honest. I believe some truly do act an ass and taunt and provoke and hope for the payday. There are also groups of people who go out in public and say things I don’t like or don’t agree with. Some even object to my way of life and force their political views on me while I’m going about my day, until I walk away. But they have the right to do so. and so do I. So, on the whole, I don’t have the right to begrudge them the freedom to speak their mind or gather in public or gather public information and produce a story as long as they and the story remain lawful. I also have the right to walk away and turn a deaf ear or a blind eye to any of their offerings that I disagree with. When everyone follows our Constitution and Bill of Rights there won’t be so much conflict and so many incidents. But we may never see that day.
    While all of these things are true, it's illegal to interfere with a police investigation. Some of those nutjobs actually try to get in the way of LE trying to do their job which could hinder them.

I'd imagine that many of the "auditors" have good intentions, but some go out there with the intention of being a nuisance, which is not okay.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    While all of these things are true, it's illegal to interfere with a police investigation. Some of those nutjobs actually try to get in the way of LE trying to do their job which could hinder them.

I'd imagine that many of the "auditors" have good intentions, but some go out there with the intention of being a nuisance, which is not okay.

99.9% are just trying to get free money from a lawsuit.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Yes, I’ve seen some of them get too close and interfere. They insist that it’s to inform the citizen of their rights, but it’s interfering. I’ve also seen them sit and film from a distance, only to be noticed and later approached by law enforcement on scene. Lots to learn on both sides of the camera I suppose…

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I've offered 'gas money' to a couple of them to go to NOLA and try it; I figure on a 'good day' they end up in ER, on a bad day, crab bait in someones traps

Lol. I wonder what would happen if there were an audit the auditors group? They could follow the auditors around and film them filming the police.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Yes, I’ve seen some of them get too close and interfere. They insist that it’s to inform the citizen of their rights, but it’s interfering. I’ve also seen them sit and film from a distance, only to be noticed and later approached by law enforcement on scene. Lots to learn on both sides of the camera I suppose…

Usually the supervisor on scene will make
    sure they are ignored but there is definitely videos of officers who took the bait, hook line and sinker.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Usually the supervisor on scene will make
    sure they are ignored but there is definitely videos of officers who took the bait, hook line and sinker.

Well there ya go. In all honesty, with cameras and people everywhere nowadays, I really don’t understand why anyone would get riled over being recorded in public. The instant anyone goes after the camera they go on record crossing the line. I’d do exactly as you say and ignore them, but the second they get cocky and get too close or inject themselves into the situation, time to take a ride. In any high stress job, the last thing you need is an irritant or hindrance intentionally getting in the way.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Well there ya go. In all honesty, with cameras and people everywhere nowadays, I really don’t understand why anyone would get riled over being recorded in public. The instant anyone goes after the camera they go on record crossing the line. I’d do exactly as you say and ignore them, but the second they get cocky and get too close or inject themselves into the situation, time to take a ride. In any high stress job, the last thing you need is an irritant or hindrance intentionally getting in the way.
    My guess is that some of the "auditors" want to make it a game to see how far they can push the line.

As for LE approaching them - likely unnecessary, but nowadays you never know when someone might try to film themself shooting a cop to get their 5 seconds of publicity.

All in all, it seems like a waste of time to me, but definitely makes for interesting body cam footage when a karen with a cellphone pushed herself into an investigation, refuses to leave, and gets some shiny bracelets and time to reflect in the back of a car!

4-14

treat never keep keep
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    WBR
    I watch them all the time. I prefer to watch channels like ATA(audit the audit) and Lack Luster as they “audit” the interactions. They give feedback on both the auditor and the LEO(s). But I do have a couple favorites…Jeff Gray is one of them. There are some I hate…newsnowomaha is one…he’s an idiot and actually does things that would be considered antagonizing behavior that LEOs would be justified for going hands on. Like approaching them and walking too close and putting his hands in his pockets just to aggravate them.

I believe most of them have good intentions…like to educate LEOs and the public on their rights.

There are a few out there in Baton Rouge. The guy Long Island Audits went to the courthouse downtown recently. He was thrown out and was injured, he’s probably gonna take action. I saw one guy who went to the EBRSO HQ over by the airport recently too. News now Houston has been out here a couple times too. There is another video of a couple dudes down on highland at the BRPD office across from the blue store. The officer kinda bitches at them but nothing really happens. There’s one where they go to the post office in Port Allen and get thrown out too.

There are quite a few of them all over the state, but those come to mind. I can’t think of any in New Orleans, but I’m sure there are some.

As far as my feelings I’m 50/50. Because some of them annoy citizens who in the right numbers, have the capacity to change the laws. But this “community” all started by a guy who was arrested for recording officers lawfully.

But like magdump said, it doesn’t matter. Lawful is lawful. It’s actually worse for LEO to use bait cars as stealing cars is illegal, but recording isn’t.

It’s always funny when the officers say they know they are being “baited” yet still take the “bait”. lol

4-14

treat never keep keep
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    WBR
    My guess is that some of the "auditors" want to make it a game to see how far they can push the line.

As for LE approaching them - likely unnecessary, but nowadays you never know when someone might try to film themself shooting a cop to get their 5 seconds of publicity.

All in all, it seems like a waste of time to me, but definitely makes for interesting body cam footage when a karen with a cellphone pushed herself into an investigation, refuses to leave, and gets some shiny bracelets and time to reflect in the back of a car!
    One of their angles is what “interfering” means by definition. I looked it up and like many other states, simply being in the immediate area, talking to people actually involved or recording doesn’t meet the requirements for Louisiana’s interference statute. It says you have to physically like prevent them from doing their job.

Of course that’s not to say they can’t or won’t detain or arrest you. Nor that you may still be found guilty.

4-14

treat never keep keep
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    WBR
    Majority of the time, they don’t do anything unlawful that requires them to be contacted. Most of the officers use the excuse that they were called as a reason to “lawfully” identify them. When most states there is no obligation to ID unless LAWFULLY detained. I wish w were like Texas where you have to be lawfully arrested to have to ID.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom