Custom Yugo Mauser 24/47, .338Federal - ER Shaw barrel | REDUCED PRICE

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    In Lafayette.

It's a rifle built upon a Yugo M24/47 Mauser receiver assembly. The bolt was turned down by someone good at their craft. It's done smoothly, and solidly, with no ugly edges or corners, and if you didn't know the orientation of the bolt originally, you wouldn't know it was modified. It clears the scopes I've put on it, just fine. It has an E.R. Shaw chrome-moly matte finished helical fluted barrel. 22 inches in length. The barrel is free floated, as I can pass a sheet of paper between the barrel and stock, all the way to the receiver. I am unsure who made this stock, but it is gorgeous. Color and grain is beautiful, and it's form is a dream to weld my cheek to. The pad makes it a comfortable rifle to shoot, as well.

With this goes the leather sling, which I believe is a USGI leather sling off a Springfield rifle. It matches the slings we have on the rifles in the front of the shop at work, and that's all that I know about it.

The trigger is a BOLD aftermarket trigger. It has very little travel, but a good bit of pressure required to trip the trigger. It is perfect for a hunting rifle, imo, which is what I got this rifle for. It's not so light that you'll set it off on any branch, but it's nothing that will pull a shot easily under stress.

Going with it is th RCBS die set. Brass can be made by simply sizing .308 winchester brass. Load data is available from numerous sources including Hodgdon: Load Data Center.

The front trigger guard lock screw is missing, but new screws can be purchased inexpensively: click here for screws and the rifle is otherwise complete. Keep in mind it's just the locking screw, not an actual fastener. This is just a small screw that keeps the main screw from backing out under hard use, such as war fighting, of which I hope you won't have to use this rifle for. I don't see that the screw is necessary, but it can be had for very little bit of money, I was planning to just tack it on to the next order I made with Midway, but hadn't ordered from them in a while.

Scope not included, but also for sale: http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...Vortex-Viper-HS-4-16x44&p=1105919#post1105919

ASKING $650

You can see in the last pics, the screw I referred to. It's a non-issue, imo, but I wouldn't blame someone if they wanted the complete screw set, which is why I linked to the MidwayUSA part.

Comes with RCBS dies, 2 unfired rounds, and 78 pieces of once-fired brass.

IMG_9204.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0344.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    408050_2897756411936_1501167407_32842711_1459047621_n.jpg

Last edited:

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    This is a very pleasing machine to look at (if the stock was walnut, it reminds me of the old Bishop / Fajen style without the funky grip) - very elegant!

But, I don't want to look at this one as much as I'd like to shoot it. And, speaking of shooting, for those of us who haven't started reloading - this would be a nice way to shoot factory 338 for less than $5 a round.

This is just an awful $ time for me right now otherwise it would be gone right now. Good luck with the sale.

Marc Price

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Thanks for the interest.

I had the same thought as you. This was going to be my intro to reloading, since I can just use 308 brass and size it up. But oh well. I'll get another 338 later.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Okay, totally off topic, but where did you get the ZS sticker for your orange ammo can? Hilarious.
    Paint job to a regular .30 cal can. Dude made them for a giveaway we had at the last ZCon. I won the rifle steel match and that was my prize :P

saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Nice rifle, wish that price were closer to my comfort zone...
    So, can anybody say how challenging or difficult is the neck-resizing aspect when using .308 Winchester brass anyway?

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    So, can anybody say how challenging or difficult is the neck-resizing aspect when using .308 Winchester brass anyway?
    Haven't done it personally! This was a setup to get me into it, but haven't had the chance yet. Haven't even shot the rifle other than to sight in that scope on it! :(

(bump)

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA

Since this came on the market, I read several articles on resizing 308 brass to 338 fed. If that's a concern, you can buy new 338 fed brass (just slightly more than 308 brass) and reload resized 308 brass along side 338 fed brass and test at range. This sounds compulsive, who of us isn't?

Still a nice rifle!!

Marc Price

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom