Decertification of LEO.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    So if you’re previous employer doesn’t like you then you are screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Makes since . Good employers check with former employers before hiring someone along with background checks and drug testing . Yes a good cop may get a bad report because superiors just don't like them but it's that way in every profession . How many times have we seen teachers move from one school to the other several times before they get caught abusing kids and later find out they left to keep from being fired . Several cases have been documented where rouge medical personnel changed jobs to keep from being fired and were not vetted.

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Makes since . Good employers check with former employers before hiring someone along with background checks and drug testing . Yes a good cop may get a bad report because superiors just don't like them but it's that way in every profession . How many times have we seen teachers move from one school to the other several times before they get caught abusing kids and later find out they left to keep from being fired . Several cases have been documented where rouge medical personnel changed jobs to keep from being fired and were not vetted.

I knew someone would chime in with that argument. The difference is it’s not just checking with an employer,it’s withholding your certification.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

They check with former employees quite often but this is crazy $hit.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    They check with former employees quite often but this is crazy $hit.
    I will agree that politics and personal differences may be a factor in some of the cases but unless I read it incorrectly all an they have to do is pass a background check and drug test and submit to the board to be resertified. Of course the former department can give a bad review as can any formal employer at any job . At least here there is a board to review it where as in the civilian world if the HR person sees a bad reference they toss the app in the NO file and move on to the next .

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    I believe too that a Department gets screwed when they pay for an employee to go through the Academy (about $2500) to get POST Certified then when they graduate the Officer shops around to other Dept for a higher paying job. Unless they have the Officer sign a contract and hold them to it, the Dept loses.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I believe too that a Department gets screwed when they pay for an employee to go through the Academy (about $2500) to get POST Certified then when they graduate the Officer shops around to other Dept for a higher paying job. Unless they have the Officer sign a contract and hold them to it, the Dept loses.

I do not think the contract would be legally binding. I know where that was tried years ago and it did not work. I know of a recent case where one went through the Academy for a small LEA and was hired shortly after by a large LEA.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I do not think the contract would be legally binding. I know where that was tried years ago and it did not work. I know of a recent case where one went through the Academy for a small LEA and was hired shortly after by a large LEA.

This is correct, it’s not binding.

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    I recall my previous agency would dock your last pay if you jump ship right after the academy. I know several folks to whom exactly that happened. Course the “contract” states you’ll give them 2 years, and I think many agencies will typically credit an LEO their pre-academy time as well. My current agency, I signed an agreement to stay 2 years beyond date of hire. Not that I have any plans of going anywhere, cuz it’s frikkin awesome.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    It's probably my cynical side coming out, but I just wonder if this is nothing more than a CYA liability protection. Has this commission been named in numerous lawsuits that follow the actions of bad cops, so they are adding this to say "we did our part" when the subpoenas start arriving? If police departments looking to hire a previous experience cop do their own due diligence as they should, and the previously employing agency is above board and didn't sweep under the rug things that should have come to light, then there's no need for this.

sarky

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    OK, so you have all expressed your opinion about this, and all of you know what they say about opinions!
    So enough of that, HOW would YOU address the issue of shitty, abusive or bad cops??? What should be done with them?

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I predicted this when they passed the law that an individual attending post had to have a sponsoring agency. I knew that this would be used to hold over an individuals head and will lead to retention for X amount of time after Post Certs.
    There is also a thing that If you attend a Louisiana Post, then go to a state , that isn't necessarily post such as Ms. They honor post, but do not have the same thing. Louisiana right now DOES allow you to come back and keep POST as long as you stayed in Law Enforcement, but in some states they would not.
    Watch and see, you will see retention contracts show up next

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I don't think a department should be able to take away a certification on its own. They are not the certifying agency. I do think a department should be able to request POST to investigate the officer and withdraw the certification if warranted.

sarky

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    One other thing, do you know what the requirements are to become a cop? ONLY 19 states require some sort of "law" degree. The other 31 states only require a high school diploma, GED or equivalency test. Most of these cops don't even know the laws they are supposed to be enforcing and in fact make **** up!

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    One other thing, do you know what the requirements are to become a cop? ONLY 19 states require some sort of "law" degree. The other 31 states only require a high school diploma, GED or equivalency test. Most of these cops don't even know the laws they are supposed to be enforcing and in fact make **** up!

You really should study how the judicial system works.

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA

If you can find a bunch of folks with law degrees willing to work the hours we do for the comp package we get, I’ll happily eat crow.

I believe post requires a diploma at minimum, but I could be wrong. I just sent in my transcripts showing BA conferred.

Fact is, public service is, first and foremost, service. We ain’t gonna get rich, and most of the folks with advanced degrees have more student debt than most agencies’ base pay can support. Those folks can’t afford to not go into the private sector and chase dollars.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Well it’s only Rhode Island. Don’t see how that will affect much else. I’m sure if there’s anything considered unfair the police unions will sort it all out anyway.
    As a registered nurse, I’ve got to jump through some hoops to work in any other state or take a contract as a travel nurse. Until recently I had to renew my license to practice every year (now it’s bi-annual) and there’s a certain amount of continuing education that’s mandatory. I think it’s a good idea that a nurse leaving one state or even just moving to another facility in the same city be subjected to a drug screen, former employment research, etc. due to the level of trust associated with what we do. I don’t see why that should be any different for a cop, considering the level of authority they hold.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom