Deer tags

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Now that deer tags are printed on regular copy paper, has anyone figured out how to make them waterproof and still be able to write on them? I want to laminate them.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Went to Office Depot. They had a synthetic paper that is water resistant, not water proof. I had them make a copy of my tags on this paper. The paper feels like the stuff they used last year for the tags. I can write on this paper with a ball point pen. Cost me less than $3.

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    Does anyone know the reason Wildlife and fisheries picked up all the machines from retailers.
    I thought it was crazy when Academy gave me printer paper with the license.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    Just use what they give you. If the tags dissolve in the rain (in LA?) or while dragging the deer out of the swamp, evidently that's OK with LDWF. If the wardens complain they can't read the tags, maybe LDWF will either start issuing waterproof tags or go back to no tags again.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Just use what they give you. If the tags dissolve in the rain (in LA?) or while dragging the deer out of the swamp, evidently that's OK with LDWF. If the wardens complain they can't read the tags, maybe LDWF will either start issuing waterproof tags or go back to no tags again.

I don't want to be the test case.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Definitely don't leave it to wardens mood . Back in the early 90s( may have been late 80s) I took one of my biggest Bucks ever and stopped at Kickapoo on 171 to grab a snack and coke . When I came out of the store a warden was looking at my buck and said I was in violation because I didn't leave proof of sex . According to him a large rack and lack of **** or vagina were not proof of sex .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bulldog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Ruston
    Now that deer tags are printed on regular copy paper, has anyone figured out how to make them waterproof and still be able to write on them? I want to laminate them.

Pick up a box of finger cots (they look like mini condoms), fill out paper tag, roll up and put in finger cot, tie off end of cot, stuff into deer's anus and your good to drag deer back to camp.

Game warden stops you, wants to see tag, tell him to start digging... after enough game wardens complain, maybe the state will go back to the water proof tags as before.

Last edited:

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    This was done so they can write more fines and collect more money. A zip lock bag and pencil are not part of my normal check list for hunting. Hunted for decades with license in my wallet. A few year back I laminated my license and got pulled over. Warden was about to write me a ticket for tampering with the license saying that I could wipe off the signature on the tags. I use to admire Wild Life Enforcement Officers but now they are the biggest group of jackboot thugs in this state. My neighbor is a retired field biologist from Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries and he has nothing good to say about the enforcement side.

Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    Pick up a box of finger cots (they look like mini condoms), fill out paper tag, roll up and put in finger cot, tie off end of cot, stuff into deer's anus and your good to drag deer back to camp.

Game warden stops you, wants to see tag, tell him to start digging... after enough game wardens complain, maybe the state will go back to the water proof tags as before.
    Thats just funny right there. But I see the game warden is not going to be to happy

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

jcdogfish

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 2, 2015
    prairieville, LA
    I don't understand why they don't go to metal tags like they used to have for DMAP. I'm sure they could be stamped and cut at angola. win win for all. I would prefer to pay for tag costs rather than having to worry about pen or pencil that never seems to write when you need it and paper tags you have to rig up something that works. Just sell me the damn tags.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

If you have a cell signal, you can tag and validate your deer or turkey by text. You have to register your phone number first. All of the procedures can be found on LDWF website.​

How to text-to-tag and validate your deer or turkey​

1. Send any text (e.g. ‘Report’) to 225.267.9988.
    2. Confirm your identity. Reply ‘1) Yes, that's me’ or ‘2) No, that's not me’.
    3. You will be asked if you have moved the animal. Reply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.
      1. If you have moved the animal, reply 'Exit' and use traditional paper tags.
      2. If you have not moved the animal, reply 'Continue'.
    4. To continue tagging by text, reply ‘Text’ to the text message.
    5. Reply to each prompt:
      1. The tag number you will be using for this harvest
      2. The animal's sex: ‘Buck’ or ‘Doe’
      3. The harvest date
      4. The parish of harvest
      5. 'Public’ or ‘Private’ land
      6. Deer harvest area
    6. Verify all of your responses. Reply '1) Yes, validate my tag' or '2) No, I'd like to start over'.
    7. You will receive a text to confirm that your harvest was successfully tagged and validated.
    8. You are now ready to move your animal.
    SEX IDENTIFICATION
    Positive evidence of sex identification, including the head or sex organs, shall remain on any deer taken in Louisiana, so long as such deer is kept in camp or field, or is in route to the domicile of its possessor, or until a deer has been appropriately tagged and validated, and the tag remains with the carcass, or until such deer has been stored at the domicile of its possessor or divided at a cold storage facility and has thus
    become identifiable as food rather than as wild game.

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    I was surprised when I purchased my hunting license/tags this year. I also opted for and signed up for the "text to tag" feature. I still don't like the license print out on plain paper. I will send LDWF a note expressing my displeasure but unless a bunch does it, don't think it will matter. Until then, it is what it is! :rolleyes:

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    All my tags are on la wallet. Can validate them minutes after shot. Makes life easy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211216-115404.jpg
      Screenshot_20211216-115404.jpg
      255.8 KB · Views: 101

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA

If you have a cell signal, you can tag and validate your deer or turkey by text. ...​

I have cell service at my home only because I bought and installed a booster - its range is about 30-50 feet. Catch22 - I'd have to move the deer to get a signal, but then you can't use the phone text method because you moved the deer.

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    The LA wallet feature is not available to me because I reside outside Louisiana. I grew up in Louisiana from the age of 1, but since I wasn't born there, I can't get the Louisiana Native license as well. Thankfully, I still have family with land to hunt on in Louisiana and it is in a good spot! Just got back from a 5 day trip and although I didn't shoot anything, I had fun and the shooting times are coming. As the deer in the North end of the state are on the edge of the rut starting!

Top Bottom