Did better at the range today, but I'm still anticipating the shot =/

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D0NNY

That guy
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Houma, La
    I guess that will come with time. Talking to my state trooper buddy, he says he still does it from time to time, so I guess it's to be expected.

The wind out there was HELL, which also made my aiming tedious since a gust would seem to hit me right when I was about to squeeze off a round, and I'd have to lower my pistol and kinda wait for it to die down.

According to weather.com, the wind is currently 16mph with 25mph gusts.

So yeah, I was fighting that for the little time I was there. One or two times it actually managed to gust hard enough to knock the clamps off holding the backing for my target

anyways, here are the pics:

This was the first distance I shot at. I shot 3 magazines at this range:
    4jaype.jpg

I then decided I'd try 5 shots at this range:
    24m85es.jpg

1st mag:
    ajw9si.jpg

2nd mag:
    1zn61sg.jpg

3rd mag:
    mwfcas.jpg

4th mag (only shot 5 bullets here):
    23tsisj.jpg

I'm glad to see my trigger practice showed some results on the paper this time out. I plan on doing more trigger practice and working on my grip, since I found myself having to change my weak (left) hand's position a few times. I did well to keep most of my weight on the balls of my feet and my wrists even, but I still found myself tensing my arms too much, etc.

Anyways, hopefully if I get out to the range next week, I'll see even better results. Also going to work on doing a better job of not getting frusttrated with myself while shooting. It definitely doesn't help to keep me calm or relaxed. However, my problems with that today are going to be chalked up to the wind/weather :o

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    If I may offer something that helped me considerably...

If you have a timer, set the par time between 2.5-3.0 sec, or wherever you are comfortable. On the first beep, draw the gun, mount to target and prep the trigger on the target, focused on the front sight. On the par beep, break the shot and reprep the trigger for a follow up shot, but do not fire. Hold for a few seconds, holster and re-do this around 20 times. Very litle ammo required, but will reinforce visual patience, trigger prep and squeeze, followthrough, and correct draw and gunmount. Do this from low ready, strong hand, weak hand, whatever, and watch your ability climb, I promise. Start out at 7-10 yards working out to 50 yards...

D0NNY

That guy
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Houma, La
    I actually was thinking about timers while on the way there because I had seen some posts about them and some phone apps that work as one, etc.

I should also probably add I'm a very, very, very slow shot. The wind didn't help with that today because the gusts kept messing with my arms and aim. My 6" barrel was serving as a tiny wind sock it seemed. I found myself spending 30 seconds between a shot (sometimes, more) because the wind would either mess with me and I'd end up lowering my gun, or I found myself anticipating the shot right before I squeezed, and would let off.

I'll definitely consider that. What's a reasonable price for a new one or a used one? Anything to specifically look for in a timer (other than being able to set it)?

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Is that the Laf. sheriff's range? Not far from my house. I shoot at southern in Thibodaux. Let me know next time you go and I'll seen if I have time to meet.

D0NNY

That guy
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Houma, La
    This was out at the TPSO, and will do. Today was kinda on a whim, I had plannedo n shooting yesterday but my friend couldn't make it (couldn't make it today either lol)

I'm hoping to go back next week, but I'mma do a better planning job when I do and pick a day that's not windy (I was the ONLY person who went to the range today to shoot). But yeah, will do and I'll definitely let you know in advance man.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Donny
    Man it's been a long time since my last trip to the TPSO range on Savanne road. Forgot how it looked. Don't go there much because they were always closed for one reason or another so I became a member of Southern Shooting in Thibodaux. Always no waiting. I'd say you did pretty good with the damn wind we had today. Would like to get together and burn some rounds up. What were you shooting today? I need to try out a new Beretta M9A1 to see what it's like and of course my trusty 1911.

stovebolt6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    berwick la
    Donny
    Man it's been a long time since my last trip to the TPSO range on Savanne road. Forgot how it looked. Don't go there much because they were always closed for one reason or another so I became a member of Southern Shooting in Thibodaux. Always no waiting. I'd say you did pretty good with the damn wind we had today. Would like to get together and burn some rounds up. What were you shooting today? I need to try out a new Beretta M9A1 to see what it's like and of course my trusty 1911.

x2 man not bad at all with the wind keep up the practice.

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    What are you shooting?

Front sight, Squeeze! and shoot from reset.

Get someone to load your mags with dummy rounds interspersed.

D0NNY

That guy
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Houma, La
    What are you shooting?

Front sight, Squeeze! and shoot from reset.

Get someone to load your mags with dummy rounds interspersed.

I heard there's a gun show coming up so I'll probably try and buy some snap caps then because otherwise it looks like they're going for about 20$ shipped/in store after tax. Hoping I can maybe score some for less.

As for waht I'm shooting, I'm shooting a Glock 17l, which is why I feel like I still have a LOTTTTTTTTTTTT to improve upon :D (if I were shooting something with a shorter barrel, I'd probably be a little more all over the place)

As for the TPSO, they're open 7 days a week, 8am-4pm; just call ahead to make sure they're not closed for any kind of event (which normally seems to be a weekend thing). I normally find there's not much waiting more or less, but when shooting rifles, there are alawys a few people on the benches.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I heard there's a gun show coming up so I'll probably try and buy some snap caps then because otherwise it looks like they're going for about 20$ shipped/in store after tax. Hoping I can maybe score some for less.

As for waht I'm shooting, I'm shooting a Glock 17l, which is why I feel like I still have a LOTTTTTTTTTTTT to improve upon :D (if I were shooting something with a shorter barrel, I'd probably be a little more all over the place)

As for the TPSO, they're open 7 days a week, 8am-4pm; just call ahead to make sure they're not closed for any kind of event (which normally seems to be a weekend thing). I normally find there's not much waiting more or less, but when shooting rifles, there are alawys a few people on the benches.

If you come to the Kenner Gun show on Jan 24-25, I will be there at the American Handgun Defense Booth. I may have my banner up too. COme by and I can give you a few pointers.

D0NNY

That guy
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Houma, La
    If you come to the Kenner Gun show on Jan 24-25, I will be there at the American Handgun Defense Booth. I may have my banner up too. COme by and I can give you a few pointers.
    That's the gun show I was thinking of, and will do. I've got my stance down (knees slightly bent, on the balls of my feet, arms straight out at my head's height so I don't lower my head down to the gun's level), it's just grip and trigger that I get messed up on. DUnno why I have grip issues since i've got tiny hands, but I guess it's just a getting used to it thing :confused:

EDIT: My grip isn't bad; I'm not overly squeezing the grip, my strong hand's thumb as close to the slide as possible, weak hand rotated so my wirsts are about the same height; it's just the overlapping fingers that I keep messing with on my weak hand.

Top Bottom