Disappointment at Sherburne Today

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Early this afternoon I made my weekly pilgrimage to Sherburne to do some shooting. I've been going there every week for almost three years now, so I'd like to think that I've seen all of the good and bad to be seen at a public range.

Today really disappointed me. There was a guy there that I've seen before. I've learned to be wary of him because he doesn't strike me as having good gun handling skills; he often walks into the range with a gun in his hand, oblivious to who he might be muzzle sweeping.

Anyways, this afternoon he had something that he needed to do to one of his pistols, so he flipped open the hatch on his SUV and sat in the back of his truck fiddling with his handgun. The entire time he was doing this, the muzzle was pointed downrange ... at all of the other people shooting on the line.

I went up to him and politely told him that he shouldn't be handling weapons back there. He told me that the gun was unloaded. I told him that this was still unsafe, since he was muzzle sweeping everyone on the line. He mumbled something to me that probably wasn't all that kind. I'm not proud of the fact that I said "you're an idiot," but I simply could't believe that someone could be so ignorant of basic gun safety.

At this point I left, because I've learned that stupidity can be a dangerous thing and I didn't want to be around if something bad happened. Back in my truck, I really wondered what to do. I ended up calling LDWF law enforcement, and they told me to call the local sheriff. I turned my truck around to check and see if he was still there. When I got back, he wasn't. I decided to drop it at this point.

Anyways, I'm curious to think about how others would handle this. I've been an RSO for some years now ... and in most competitions, doing something like this would result in something between a DQ and expulsion from the organization. In my mind it shouldn't be any different at a public range.

Thoughts?

Mike

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I've had to grab guns out of peoples hands who are shopping for guns and shooting them on a range before because they think its funny to act like fukcing idiots. They dont expect it 99% of the time either.

The best is when a couple comes in and the wife jokes like shes going to shoot the husband. So ****** stupid. Its like lady I dont give a sh!t if you just unloaded it or if you watched me or jesus christ himself unload it. Dont ever do it again.

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The best is when a couple comes in and the wife jokes like shes going to shoot the husband. So ****** stupid. Its like lady I dont give a sh!t if you just unloaded it or if you watched me or jesus christ himself unload it. Dont ever do it again.

A friend of mine lost his wife when she was being melodramatic one night and decided to hold a gun up to her head. Needless to say, the gun was not nearly as unloaded as she thought it was.

Honestly, I worry more about the stupidity among some gun owners than I do about gun grabbing politicians. These are the sorts of people that give us a bad name ... and the ones that the media love to put a magnifying glass on.

Mike

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    You called LDWF Enforcement and they told you to call the Sheriff ? Typical . I haven't seen an issue yet they didn't put off on somebody else .

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I would have refrained from confronting him, left the range, and immediately began looking for private range memberships.

Although Honey Island isn’t the most spectacular place to be, it’s a prime example of why RSO’s are necessary.

That range you went to could use some RSO’s.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Early this afternoon I made my weekly pilgrimage to Sherburne to do some shooting. I've been going there every week for almost three years now, so I'd like to think that I've seen all of the good and bad to be seen at a public range.

Today really disappointed me. There was a guy there that I've seen before. I've learned to be wary of him because he doesn't strike me as having good gun handling skills; he often walks into the range with a gun in his hand, oblivious to who he might be muzzle sweeping.

Anyways, this afternoon he had something that he needed to do to one of his pistols, so he flipped open the hatch on his SUV and sat in the back of his truck fiddling with his handgun. The entire time he was doing this, the muzzle was pointed downrange ... at all of the other people shooting on the line.

I went up to him and politely told him that he shouldn't be handling weapons back there. He told me that the gun was unloaded. I told him that this was still unsafe, since he was muzzle sweeping everyone on the line. He mumbled something to me that probably wasn't all that kind. I'm not proud of the fact that I said "you're an idiot," but I simply could't believe that someone could be so ignorant of basic gun safety.

At this point I left, because I've learned that stupidity can be a dangerous thing and I didn't want to be around if something bad happened. Back in my truck, I really wondered what to do. I ended up calling LDWF law enforcement, and they told me to call the local sheriff. I turned my truck around to check and see if he was still there. When I got back, he wasn't. I decided to drop it at this point.

Anyways, I'm curious to think about how others would handle this. I've been an RSO for some years now ... and in most competitions, doing something like this would result in something between a DQ and expulsion from the organization. In my mind it shouldn't be any different at a public range.

Thoughts?

Mike

Hey,That was you,Nice meeting yah man....lol not really
    I go out there about 1 once every 2 months but only after i stop at Kartchners for boudin and a boudin ball or two,I may of seen you or spoken with you upon occasion.
    I'm the help the poor guy looking for brass, Just like the corner Hobo hustling a buck.lol

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t on edge and extremely vigilant/ maybe even a little nervous every damn weekend when I go shoot. Like op I’ve seen just about everything from the guy who is extremely serious and professional about how he does each and everything to the Couple of kids who walk in muzzle sweeping any and everything and keeping the muzzle posted anywhere but in a safe direction or down range and even think it’s funny to point the gun at one another when no one is looking.

it seems like range officers or someone actually paying attention is almost nonexistent these days. I’ve seen a lot of things that for sure I thought a range officer would be barging in to drag someone out only to watch the person do it again and again.

in all my visits to the range I’ve only felt the need to leave early once and probably should at least a few times but againts better judgment decided to stay and just try to mind my own business. The only time I left after only being at the range for about maybe 10 minutes was when I was lucky enough to be placed in a lane next to a group of five or six people who rented a couple of guns and decided instead of actually shooting them that taking pictures for social media would be more fun. After watching them point the gun directly at one another while taking pictures, watching them take short videos of chambering rounds and then pointing the guns at the camera and muzzle sweeping everyone around a handful of times I told my self no way in hell I can stay here and shoot today with a good mind.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I've had to grab guns out of peoples hands who are shopping for guns and shooting them on a range before because they think its funny to act like fukcing idiots. They dont expect it 99% of the time either.

dude I know you’ve seen it all lol probably just about on a daily basis. You’re probably in the running for first place of person who has had a gun pointed at him the most lol

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I go out there about 1 once every 2 months but only after i stop at Kartchners for boudin and a boudin ball or two,I may of seen you or spoken with you upon occasion.

... and on the 8th day, God created Kartchner's!

I have a big tan shooting bag with a bright orange hunting tag holder on the end of it. If you see me there, c'mon over and say hi. I don't bite. :-)

Mike

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I would have refrained from confronting him, left the range, and immediately began looking for private range memberships.

Although Honey Island isn’t the most spectacular place to be, it’s a prime example of why RSO’s are necessary.

That range you went to could use some RSO’s.

I agree. I understand that not having RSO's is how they keep the range open at no cost (other than having some sort of LDWF license), but this is one of those days when I'd happily pay a $5 or $10 range fee to have someone there policing this nonsense.

I'm going to keep going out to Sherburne for the time being. If I see this same guy there doing stupid things again, I'm going to call LDWF law enforcement and be a lot more insistent that they send someone out. Perhaps a few visits from law enforcement will get people to smarten up.

Mike

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I agree. I understand that not having RSO's is how they keep the range open at no cost (other than having some sort of LDWF license), but this is one of those days when I'd happily pay a $5 or $10 range fee to have someone there policing this nonsense.

I'm going to keep going out to Sherburne for the time being. If I see this same guy there doing stupid things again, I'm going to call LDWF law enforcement and be a lot more insistent that they send someone out. Perhaps a few visits from law enforcement will get people to smarten up.

Mike

Agreed. At the end of the day, the $6 fee at Honey Island is a minor inconvenience and keeps out the riff raff from shooting TV’s and flagging patrons. The RSO’s are volunteers, but they get use of the facility during off hours.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    dude I know you’ve seen it all lol probably just about on a daily basis. You’re probably in the running for first place of person who has had a gun pointed at him the most lol

Think about how many guns Ive handed to people considering Ive been doing it about 5 days a week since 2011. Jesus. The newbies still scare the sh!t out of me. Thats something I can never get used to. I do my best to give my undivided attention to the customer and give the best instruction that I can and extra if they are new to it. Cant ever be safe enough.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Agreed. At the end of the day, the $6 fee at Honey Island is a minor inconvenience and keeps out the riff raff from shooting TV’s and flagging patrons. The RSO’s are volunteers, but they get use of the facility during off hours.

I wish Honey Island wasn't an hour and a half from my house. Sherburne is only 40 minutes.

I'm going to reach out to LDWF to find out if they've ever considered doing the same thing at Sherburne. My guess is that there isn't budget for it ... but if there was, boy would it help.

Mike

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I wish Honey Island wasn't an hour and a half from my house. Sherburne is only 40 minutes.

I'm going to reach out to LDWF to find out if they've ever considered doing the same thing at Sherburne. My guess is that there isn't budget for it ... but if there was, boy would it help.

Mike

If I recall, the Honey Island Range isn’t *part* of the WMA, but resides within the WMA. There are some of the volunteer RSO’s on this forum, so hopefully they chime in. It’s run independently of the WMA, but must follow the WMA’s rules.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    You called LDWF Enforcement and they told you to call the Sheriff ? Typical . I haven't seen an issue yet they didn't put off on somebody else .

I’m not sure what either of them can do. He didn’t break a law so that pretty much counts out “law” enforcement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BrandonPle

Gunlover
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Watson
    I was at sherburne one Sunday years ago... Busy day every lane full.
    There was an obnoxious little bald fat man letting everyone know that he was a R.O for such and such organization and letting everyone know how he thought they should handle their weapons. He kept being overly abrasive with the family next to us trying to teach their young daughters to shoot. They left after thanking him for ruining their experience.

Dude was a douche. Never actually saw him shoot he was just there on a power trip.

So this is what i read ....

You decided to go mind someone else's business .
    When you didn't get the desired response , you called him a name , packed up your toys and went and called law enforcement ???
    Are you farkin kidding me ?.....ok Karen !!

HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!

Maybe bring some extra chamber indicators next time and offer one to help with your piece of mind?
    Or maybe just mind your business.

We all know that there's 3 sides to every story .

I'm curious ...did you warn ev1 else at the range . I mean if his gun handling was so egregious that you felt the need to pack up and call authorities.
    I'm also curious what you thought the cops were going to do ?

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Dude was a douche. Never actually saw him shoot he was just there on a power trip.

Sounds like a douche to me. That's why I don't bug other people at the range unless there's a clear safety concern.

You decided to go mind someone else's business .

When someone muzzle sweeps me, it very much becomes my business.

I'm curious ...did you warn ev1 else at the range . I mean if his gun handling was so egregious that you felt the need to pack up and call authorities.
    I'm also curious what you thought the cops were going to do ?

No, I didn't warn everyone else, and I should have.

Best case scenario would be that he gets asked to leave the property after getting read the riot act about safe gun handling.

Mike

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I’m not sure what either of them can do. He didn’t break a law so that pretty much counts out *law* enforcement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sherburne Range is part of the Sherburne WMA . LDWF manages it and can eject anybody acting in a dangerous manner .

Top Bottom