Disappointment at Sherburne Today

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    After having a 686 pointed at my head from a woman who lost control of it, then caught it mid air with the muzzle facing towards the glass at Bass Pro a few years back, i swore off public ranges and built one behind my house. Sadly that wasn't the first major safety issue I've had at public ranges but it was the last one. I completely understand the OP's point of view. I probably shoot a little less now as to not bother the neighbors all the time, but my safety is no longer in the hands of some moron with no training

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I can assure you all, LDW&F is broke! They are scrambling to find budget revenues just to stay afloat in many places. However, if the vast majority of range users would be willing to pay a fee, you might find W&F willing to staff the range. It's always about money!

Another way is to perhaps put it on the agenda at the next Wildlife and Fisheries Commission Meeting, and head on up there and state your case.

Here are the folks to call and ask at Wildlife and Fisheries:

Private Lands & Wildlife Management Areas

David Hayden
    Operations Program Manager
    318-487-5885
    dhayden@wlf.la.gov

Or

Steve Smith
    225-765-2359
    ssmith@wlf.la.gov

Hunter Education

Eric Shanks
    Program Manager
    225-765-2355
    eshanks@wlf.la.gov

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I can assure you all, LDW&F is broke! They are scrambling to find budget revenues just to stay afloat in many places. However, if the vast majority of range users would be willing to pay a fee, you might find W&F willing to staff the range. It's always about money!

Another way is to perhaps put it on the agenda at the next Wildlife and Fisheries Commission Meeting, and head on up there and state your case.

Yup -- I had every intention of bringing it up at the next Commission meeting. March 4 was already on my calendar.

Mike

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

Here are the folks to call and ask at Wildlife and Fisheries:

Private Lands & Wildlife Management Areas

David Hayden
    318-487-5885
    dhayden@wlf.la.gov

Or

Steve Smith
    225-765-2359
    ssmith@wlf.la.gov

Hunter Education

Eric Shanks
    Program Manager
    225-765-2355
    eshanks@wlf.la.gov

Who raided the surplus funds? They had money.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    After having a 686 pointed at my head from a woman who lost control of it, then caught it mid air with the muzzle facing towards the glass at Bass Pro a few years back, i swore off public ranges and built one behind my house. Sadly that wasn't the first major safety issue I've had at public ranges but it was the last one. I completely understand the OP's point of view. I probably shoot a little less now as to not bother the neighbors all the time, but my safety is no longer in the hands of some moron with no training
    I feel much the same about public ranges. Something about any stranger shooting a gun around me, I can’t relax enough to turn my back to them and do my own shooting. If I ever do wind up back at a range full of other shooters I have a strong plan to clear out my own bubble tho. I plan to laugh and yell at the top of my lungs after each shot. ‘GET SOME! Hahaha!! GET SOME!! WOLVERINES!!!’
    I’m pretty sure I won’t have anybody trying to elbow up on me.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I feel much the same about public ranges. Something about any stranger shooting a gun around me, I can’t relax enough to turn my back to them and do my own shooting. If I ever do wind up back at a range full of other shooters I have a strong plan to clear out my own bubble tho. I plan to laugh and yell at the top of my lungs after each shot. ‘GET SOME! Hahaha!! GET SOME!! WOLVERINES!!!’
    I’m pretty sure I won’t have anybody trying to elbow up on me.

You'll need to wear this like a cape around the neck,Like superman !

Attachments

• wolverines.jpg
      wolverines.jpg
      21.4 KB · Views: 127

cdaniel76

Honey Island Range Ofcr.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    If I recall, the Honey Island Range isn’t *part* of the WMA, but resides within the WMA. There are some of the volunteer RSO’s on this forum, so hopefully they chime in. It’s run independently of the WMA, but must follow the WMA’s rules.

It is run completely by our organization with the approval and authorization of LDWF. As you said, we are a 100% volunteer organization and all range upkeep and maintenance is funded by the daily entry fee of $6 and donations from loyal patrons.

Here's a little note about the Honey Island Range history from our website: https://honeyisland.org/our-history/

Last edited:

Bkjsdc09

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Hammond
    I wish Honey Island wasn't an hour and a half from my house. Sherburne is only 40 minutes.

I'm going to reach out to LDWF to find out if they've ever considered doing the same thing at Sherburne. My guess is that there isn't budget for it ... but if there was, boy would it help.

Mike

As others have stated, Honey island is manned by volunteers. The range is still owned by LDWF, but there is a lease in place for the management of the range.

LDWF would love to have that set up at all state ranges throughout the state, but the guys at HI was something that just fell in their lap by shear luck nearly 30 years ago.

The ranges at Woodworth and bodcau do have some volunteer RSO’s, but it’s nothing compared to the 140ish active volunteers at honey island.

All ranges within WMAs fall under the education sections management with the exception of Sherburne. There was some internal conflict concerning sherburne and its management, mostly related to the range tech position and which section counts that position on their head count. Wildlife division now manages sherburne.

The limiting factor with having staff on the ranges, other than volunteers, isn’t budgetary. The education section is funded very well through the Pitman Robertson act, but it’s a matter of head count. They having so many permanent positions available and to get more would mean to go to the legislature, something that will never happen.

I just wish we had more state ranges available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bkjsdc09

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Hammond
    If I recall, the Honey Island Range isn’t *part* of the WMA, but resides within the WMA. There are some of the volunteer RSO’s on this forum, so hopefully they chime in. It’s run independently of the WMA, but must follow the WMA’s rules.

No, honey island is still owned by the state, but there is a lease agreement in place for the management of the range by SELFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I haven't had very many issues at Sherburne . I always make eye contact with the other shooters when I get there or if somebody new walks up . Communication is key .

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    I bet I can beat that. My brother and I were at the Sherburne rifle range and a cease fire had been called so that people could check and replace their targets. Someone walked down to the 100 yard target and was replacing their target. While we were waiting on him, some idiot reloaded and fired a round at his target...while this other guy was still down range. We yelled at the shooter to cease fire because someone was down range and he was just like, oh, my bad.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I bet I can beat that. My brother and I were at the Sherburne rifle range and a cease fire had been called so that people could check and replace their targets. Someone walked down to the 100 yard target and was replacing their target. While we were waiting on him, some idiot reloaded and fired a round at his target...while this other guy was still down range. We yelled at the shooter to cease fire because someone was down range and he was just like, oh, my bad.
    Lol... my bad. Wonder what he’d say if somebody walked up and took his firearm and led him off the range. My bad.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

I had a similar experience last year. We called a cold range and a bunch of us were down range changing targets. One guy at the far left side of the range decided that since there was nobody else down range in the left half, that he could make ready and start shooting. A few of us heard him rack the slide, and he thankfully got yelled at before he could squeeze off a round. He sheepishly told us that he figured it would be safe since bullets don't go sideways.

There were a few other people there that read him the riot act, so I didn't get involved. Hopefully he never made that mistake again.

Mike

Jlong1691

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    Denham Springs
    There's a certain amount of risk in everything we do. No matter how much insurance we buy they don't stop the car wrecks. Shooting Sherburne is about as risky as driving downtown on I-10. You'll be okay as long as you are paying attention to others, and drive defensively while there. Until that one time when you aren't. Same as driving. I try to be respectful of people when I am there. Most of the time unless it is an egregious act, like firing while someone is down range just bite my tongue. Stupid is as stupid does, and there is stupid everywhere. Trying to change someone else, is no different than ranting behind your steering wheel, and waving the finger out the window. Best case you think they are an *******, and they think you are an *******. I have never made friends by pointing out someones stupidity, or calling them an idiot.

riverrat66

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2016
    The hills of St Helena parish
    I built my own range because of bad experiences at public ranges. I have lost friends because I refuse to let them shoot with me. I just tell them. I know that you wont follow my safety rules and I cant take a chance of anybody getting hurt.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Need a thread Sherburne stories from hell

Reminds me of the city boys that set up next to me,One still had a tie on.

Breaks out a single shot 35 Whelan smoke pole complete with scope

Few minutes later...Tie boy has the scope eye and is bleeding....hahaha

Walks to the truck, Grabs the first aid kit

Hands kit to tie boy and tells him, Have you're buddy patch you up...lol

Top Bottom