Does anyone here own/fired a Mauser k98 ww2 rifle? Is it chambered in .308?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SonOfHercules

Lift Heavy
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    NOLA
    Right but I was wondering if anyone had changed theirs to .308.

How do you like your 8mm Mauser compared to other rifles that you've used?

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have one. Was originally 8mm but was used by IDF and rechambered to. 308 when they fought for independence.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Not modified at all. I like it. Its a smooth shooter. Haven't shot it much though. Going to sell it soon unfortunately to fund new projects. I'm not sure how many Mauser 98ks were made into 308

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Compared to the average rifle? In terms of accuracy, ease, etc. I think I need to read up on it more.

Don't know what "Ease" means, or what the 'average' rifle is...

Remington 700, Mosin Nagant, AR15, FAL....

Mauser's are the standard other boltguns are judged against if that helps.

K98 actions have been built into fine precision rifles, nice hunting guns etc...

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    As far as accuracy, my old 1942 K98 has put 5 rounds all into a group that could be covered by a quarter at 100 yds using Yugo milsurp ammo. Not too shappy, IMO. ;)

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    I have always enjoyed shooting one of the Mausers I have or had and variants thereof. All of mine are 8mm and that stuff is pretty cheap BUT remember to thoroughly clean out the barrel/action with some soapy water if you use corrosive. Found that out the hard way a few years back. Used to have a Spanish FR8 in .308 and that was fun but with its short barrel was LOUD!
    Fun gun to shoot still. I think its cool to feel what the soldiers felt when shooting a historical rifle, whether it be a Mauser, Enfield, Springfield, etc.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I have a 7mm Mauser I inherited from my Grandfather. It's been sporterized, scoped, and the angle on the bold has been changed.

Nice rifle. He used to hunt with it, deer and so forth.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    I love my Mauser and use it as my hunting rifle. Mine is chambered for the 8mm Mauser caliber, which is similar in ballistics to the 30.06. I can shoot off-hand with iron sights at 100 yards and put up a 3" group... the rifle can do better than that, tho. :o The surplus ammo is cheap and you can buy new production hunting ammo for it at standard prices. Overall fun, accurate and good looking rifle that doesn't break the bank. I will add more of them to my collection in the future.

pic0034.jpg

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    I have a IDF FN Mauser 308 that I got on the site from a member. It looks like a 50+year old rifle with a lot of history and shoots pretty well. I have mostly used it with the DAG training ammo shooting an 11g plastic bullet at 4000fps. No recoil, and shoots great out to a couple of hundred yards. I really have a soft spot for the old mil surp guns. I have a couple of 98 Mausers I am thinking of converting over to 308 since it is so much easier to find ammo. They are fun to play with.

Top Bottom