Dog problem

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    My year old lab pup, Mia, has a partially torn ACL. After multiple visits to the vet, we're waiting to see if it will heal on its own. We have to keep her relatively restricted (kenneled most of the time, no running) which is not making for a happy dog. She wants to play!

Anyway, the vet said we can let her swim. I don't think Elmwood Fitness is going to let her in! I know of a few spots in the spillway I could take her, but that's not exactly the cleanest water. I thought about the pond across from the buffer zone even. Anybody have any other suggestions that are close enough to Metairie to go every weekend?

kirby

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    Kansas City
    I don't have any advice for the swimming pool, but two years ago I had two dogs tear ACL's right before pheasant season. We opted for surgery for both dogs, to the tune of almost 10,000 dollars. Which I know sounds crazy, but both dogs were top notch, in fact I would have put them up against any dog in the state. One dogs surgery went great, and she is just like she used to be. The other dog is now lame, she can get around but not real well. She can not be hunted anymore.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    What about the lake?

Besides the debris in the spillway the water should be ok. Maybe try the park by the Alario center on the WB? I would be more concerned with the water out by the BZ as it has no flow to it.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I thought you were in an ATF holding cell?!? :)

I was concerned about the water quality at the spillway. There's a small beach on the west side at Airline that should be OK as far as debris.

I thought about the lake but I figured all of the boat launches would have no swimming signs. The only beach section is on Lakeshore drive that I know of.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    The river is actually pretty clean compared to some of the others in the area so with the river flushing it out last year you should be good to go. It would be cleaner than a lot of ponds in neighbor hoods as they usually have sewage that flows into them when there is an incidental release. Take the dog to Hwy 434 in Lacombe and head south to the lake, it becomes lake road and is a gravel road, or on Carr Drive in Slidell there is a little beach area.

Nope not in jail just married.

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    Make darn sure there are no Alligators in the water. They will go after a dog and before almost anything else.

Where I live we see them all of the time and one was sunning on my neighbor's pier about two months ago. They are reptiles and he shouldn't have been out there that time of year. I guess he didn't know.

Anyway, just be careful where you take him.

Buddy

Cubsfan

Holy Cow!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Gretna, LA
    A lot of people swim their dogs in Audubon Park in the lagoons. They are aerated and there is a brick area around the one in front. Lots of birds to chase though. Some people have an issue with it with leash laws and all but a lot of people do it. Not sure about City Park. Lots of lagoons there too. Lake is probably a good place. Not sure about places like Bayou Segnette.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I had a non-hunting 105lb family lap dog that was 7 years old with 2 torn ACLs...got the surgery for no other reason than him being my best friend and a wonderful part of my family. The surgery worked well, he recovered quickly and was able to play and climb on the couch with not too much trouble.

He died in my arms the next year b/c of vaccinations.

The surgery was worth every penny.

If it heals on its own, be blessed...just swim her everywhere there is water and few/no gators.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom