Doing away with the “New York” trigger?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    @flyboy

There will always be people like you in society. I dont mean this in a disrespectful way, but you are one of the ones who will believe anything and are ruled by emotion not logic.

I am literally factory certified by the Glock factory to work on every single gun they sell. I have been thru five armorers courses including their advanced armorer class which is put on by warranty repair. Your buddy needs to go thru a certification process apparently, because he is either wrong, or you misunderstood him.

There is also the extremely improbable chance he was relaying the story of NYPD having the "non recall" guns upgraded, which I doubt. In short form, the NYPD traded their 686's for the G17, they went burst fire and auto on them in several instances (this is the VERY short version) and NYPD told Glock to fix it or they would buy Ruger's. Glock figured out the problem and sent actual semi tractor trailers, with machine shops in them, to the precincts and repaired them all. Glock has never mentioned this to the general public on their Gen 1 guns. If your friend is referencing this, then maybe you got part of the story. To this day if you find a Glock Gen 1 gun with a black colored trigger with trigger bar (Tell your friend that is the proper nomenclature) they will ask for the serial number and send you an upgrade kit free of charge. In my thousands of Glocks I have worked on, I have only seen this once. So maybe he was referring this story somehow ?

Regardless, he is wrong or you misunderstood. Changing the NY1,2 requires a simple removal of a part and then replacement with a standard "S" spring. Thats exactly it. The trigger with trigger bar has nothing to do with it unless its the aformentioned upgrade.

Have your friend call my shop and I will be happy to explain to him that he and you are wrong. Respectfully.

Kurt

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Everything that @AdvancedLaser is saying is sympatico with the armorer training classes I've attended. And while being a certified armorer doesn't make a person all-knowing, it does imply a certain degree of expertise and competency on the topic. For what it's worth, I also checked with my armorer's manual (which is published by Glock), and they say nothing about changing triggers to alter trigger weights.

What someone's judge friend says about Glock is heresay at this point. Who knows what he actually knows, what training he's actually done, and in what context this information was provided.

By the way, if you find a Gen 1 Glock with a black trigger, consider selling it to a collector. There are more than a few out there that will pay handsomely for one of those very early Gen 1 guns. Many of them price well into 4 figures.

Mike

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Mike, its the same as when I talk to someone and they say "My buddy is a Navy SEAL"...I immediately stop listening.

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    @flyboy

There will always be people like you in society. I dont mean this in a disrespectful way, but you are one of the ones who will believe anything and are ruled by emotion not logic.

I am literally factory certified by the Glock factory to work on every single gun they sell. I have been thru five armorers courses including their advanced armorer class which is put on by warranty repair. Your buddy needs to go thru a certification process apparently, because he is either wrong, or you misunderstood him.

There is also the extremely improbable chance he was relaying the story of NYPD having the "non recall" guns upgraded, which I doubt. In short form, the NYPD traded their 686's for the G17, they went burst fire and auto on them in several instances (this is the VERY short version) and NYPD told Glock to fix it or they would buy Ruger's. Glock figured out the problem and sent actual semi tractor trailers, with machine shops in them, to the precincts and repaired them all. Glock has never mentioned this to the general public on their Gen 1 guns. If your friend is referencing this, then maybe you got part of the story. To this day if you find a Glock Gen 1 gun with a black colored trigger with trigger bar (Tell your friend that is the proper nomenclature) they will ask for the serial number and send you an upgrade kit free of charge. In my thousands of Glocks I have worked on, I have only seen this once. So maybe he was referring this story somehow ?

Regardless, he is wrong or you misunderstood. Changing the NY1,2 requires a simple removal of a part and then replacement with a standard "S" spring. Thats exactly it. The trigger with trigger bar has nothing to do with it unless its the aformentioned upgrade.

Have your friend call my shop and I will be happy to explain to him that he and you are wrong. Respectfully.

Kurt

No disrespect taken and none intended towards you or anyone else. And no, I dont believe everything I hear so no, I am not "one of those people in society". I will admit that my friend may be wrong or I may have misheard or misunstood what he said. I do know that he did go to the Glock armor's school. I will just leave it at that.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm sure some of you are... but I am reading these comments and I am not 100% convinced that most of those posting even know the history behind the NY Trigger and why it was even produced/implemented/required.

Initially, it was to assist those officers moving from revolvers to semi-auto pistols. It provided the weight and feel of a revolver because there were incidents of the lighter triggers with officers that had used revolvers for so long, they were "accidentally" causing discharges when with the revolver, the officers had a longer time to think and say "Wait, I shouldn't shoot" and back off the pull as they could with revolvers.

Over time, this just became an added "safer" way to determine friend/foe prior to pulling the trigger. Fast forward to modern day, the same theory still applies... the heavier trigger pull allows for officers making split second decisions with additional milliseconds of time to evaluate the situation (for those departments that still mandate it).

I am not quite sure of what the argument is or if its just those directly opposed to the use of the NY triggers. Well, just a little tidbit of info. Have a great day!

That being said... if you know what you're doing, you can change out the spring in less than 2 minutes as I'm sure someone has already mentioned.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I'm sure some of you are... but I am reading these comments and I am not 100% convinced that most of those posting even know the history behind the NY Trigger and why it was even produced/implemented/required.

Initially, it was to assist those officers moving from revolvers to semi-auto pistols. It provided the weight and feel of a revolver because there were incidents of the lighter triggers with officers that had used revolvers for so long, they were "accidentally" causing discharges when with the revolver, the officers had a longer time to think and say "Wait, I shouldn't shoot" and back off the pull as they could with revolvers.

Over time, this just became an added "safer" way to determine friend/foe prior to pulling the trigger. Fast forward to modern day, the same theory still applies... the heavier trigger pull allows for officers making split second decisions with additional milliseconds of time.

I am not quite sure of what the argument is or if its just those directly opposed to the use of the NY triggers. Well, just a little tidbit of info. Have a great day!

That being said... if you know what you're doing, you can change out the spring in less than 2 minutes as I'm sure someone has already mentioned.

I started shooting revolvers in the mid 1950's and trained with a revolver before Louisiana P O S T started and I never had any use for a Glock with a NY trigger.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I started shooting revolvers in the mid 1950's and trained with a revolver before Louisiana P O S T started and I never had any use for a Glock with a NY trigger.

Great! Thanks for the feedback! However, I was simply giving a quick history of why the trigger was created initially (for New York, did you do your training in New York?)... but again, thanks for the feedback and making sure everyone knows you "never had any use for a Glock with a NY trigger" there Serpico. :mamoru: I'm sure some departments didn't even use Glocks... but... it's really just about the trigger pull weight and whatever departments decision to use it... I don't know if it was an individual choice or not.

just giving you ****... but they were not implemented across the entire united states in all departments... so it speaks to why you weren't trained using one.

Hey, the almighty Massad Ayoob advocates for the NY trigger! lol.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Great! Thanks for the feedback! However, I was simply giving a quick history of why the trigger was created initially (for New York, did you do your training in New York?)... but again, thanks for the feedback and making sure everyone knows you "never had any use for a Glock with a NY trigger" there Serpico. :mamoru: I'm sure some departments didn't even use Glocks... but... it's really just about the trigger pull weight and whatever departments decision to use it... I don't know if it was an individual choice or not.

just giving you ****... but they were not implemented across the entire united states in all departments... so it speaks to why you weren't trained using one.

Hey, the almighty Massad Ayoob advocates for the NY trigger! lol.

I did some training in NYC in 1963 but it did not involve Glocks.

Last edited:

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    Good reply. Happy to run him thru the changeout process if he wants to watch or hear it.
    Dont hold your breath waiting.

Mike, its the same as when I talk to someone and they say "My buddy is a Navy SEAL"...I immediately stop listening.
    So basically even though my oldest son's best friend whom he graduated high school with and who actually happens to be a Navy Seal, you would assume my son is a liar? The same way I feel when someone states that they have been a Glock armorer for umpteen years and they know everything. Dont worry sir, with your attitude I will never set foot in your shop or enlist your aid pertaining to a Glock firearm.

Last edited:

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Dont hold your breath waiting.

The same way I feel when someone states that they have been a Glock armorer for umpteen years and they know everything. Dont worry sir, with your attitude I will never set foot in your shop or enlist your aid pertaining to a Glock firearm.

YOU are the one that said to give you our numbers so you could pass them on to him. YOU asked for it. Remember ?

You are a kind of weird fellow. Myself and at least three others, who are certified to work on Glocks are telling you that you are incorrect, and you lash out as if we are the ones who posted on here with some ridiculously incorrect information ("Transfer bar"). At no point have I stated I know everything, those are your words. You already admitted your friend may be wrong, or you didnt listen properly. You are sounding like a small child stomping their feet. Grow up, take the information and move on.

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    Good reply. Happy to run him thru the changeout process if he wants to watch or hear it.

YOU are the one that said to give you our numbers so you could pass them on to him. YOU asked for it. Remember ?

You are a kind of weird fellow. Myself and at least three others, who are certified to work on Glocks are telling you that you are incorrect, and you lash out as if we are the ones who posted on here with some ridiculously incorrect information ("Transfer bar"). At no point have I stated I know everything, those are your words. You already admitted your friend may be wrong, or you didnt listen properly. You are sounding like a small child stomping their feet. Grow up, take the information and move on.

Thankyou for the personal attack by calling members names! Yeah, that will work out real good for your business! ;) And by the way, you need to go back and re-read the thread were I corrected my post to "trigger bar"! Either way I would not do any kind of business with you what so ever since I dont know you or trust you! Besides that, you attempt to belittle any one that is not in lock step with your thinking and possibly some potential customers!

Last edited:

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Thankyou for the personal attack by calling members names! Yeah, that will work out real good for your business! ;) And by the way, you need to go back and re-read the thread were I corrected my post to "trigger bar"! Either way I would not do any kind of business with you what so ever since I dont know you or trust you! Besides that, you attempt to belittle any one that is not in lock step with your thinking and possibly some potential customers!

Calling you a "weird fellow" really ruffled your feathers ? Kinda thin skinned huh ?

So you dont frequent businesses unless you know them and trust them ? Shopping for groceries must suck huh ? Is there an interview process with the Manager and store employees first ? I'm curious how you get much done.

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    Calling you a "weird fellow" really ruffled your feathers ? Kinda thin skinned huh ?

So you dont frequent businesses unless you know them and trust them ? Shopping for groceries must suck huh ? Is there an interview process with the Manager and store employees first ? I'm curious how you get much done.

You are not making much sense. I trust my local mom and pop store that is one of the only stores I shop or buy from. You or your business, I would never deal with! ;)

Top Bottom