Don't take it for granted..

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Wasn't sure exactly where to put this, but if you have a chance to take a med class, DO it. I haven't (mostly due to not having time), and today I sure as hell wish I had. Watched a 28 year old co-worker slowly go down and instantly stopped breathing..Worst feeling is trying to help someone and not know what to do, or even why it happened. What if it was you alone with a family member, would you know what do do? I don't, and sure plan on learning ASAP. Just wanted to share my life lesson.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I also agree. I planned on taking an EMT-Basic class this summer at LSU, but the schedule did not work out with my work schedule. Hopefully next summer will though!

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    They used an AED finally after about 5-6 minutes and he started breathing. Just heard they are doing cat scans. Not sure if it was heat or heart problem.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    They used an AED finally after about 5-6 minutes and he started breathing. Just heard they are doing cat scans. Not sure if it was heat or heart problem.

Hopefully he is ok. 5 minutes is a definitely a long time if he wasn't getting circulation or any breaths. Circulation more than anything.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I'd recommend either the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association course. Both organizations are charitable and do a lot for the public. I consider the money you pay to them is both a charitable donation and a way to possibly help save a life. It's a win, win in my opinion.

http://brgov.com/dept/ems/education.htm

My department offers courses. I personally know the instructors and they've all actually done it in the field for years and years before starting to teach it.

Dave

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Wasn't sure exactly where to put this, but if you have a chance to take a med class, DO it. I haven't (mostly due to not having time), and today I sure as hell wish I had. Watched a 28 year old co-worker slowly go down and instantly stopped breathing..Worst feeling is trying to help someone and not know what to do, or even why it happened. What if it was you alone with a family member, would you know what do do? I don't, and sure plan on learning ASAP. Just wanted to share my life lesson.

Man that's horrible! I hope your co-worker pulls through. A CPR class is something everyone should take. I made my mom take one because she is watching my son during the day. I took my first class at the Cajundome when I was 15. Well one month later on vacation in Florida, a girl had a seizure while boogie boarding. When her dad spotted her she was floating face down and started screaming. My dad helped him pull her out of the surf and the "lifeguard/drink runner" showed up and completely froze. I was somehow able to keep my adrenaline in check enough to do an ABC check. No breaths and no pulse so I started chest compressions. On the first set, she spit up water and I turned her into the rescue position until EMS showed up. They were floored that a kid did all of that. Probably the best feeling I ever had beside losing my virginity!!

Moral of the story is take a damn class. It's only a couple of hours out of your life and you never know when you will need it.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Update: They don't know what it was. Supposedly not a stroke or heart attack. All we know is he was hot, bent over for a few seconds, and literally just dropped, heart stopped and everything.

He awoke the next day, now talking and walking, and doesn't remember coming to work. So mostly recovered, and unknown cause.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom