Dow to install nuc

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Thats pretty wild having no containment vessel and still being basically a PWR/BWR combo....Hard to believe no refuel for 60 years. Id like to see how they constrain the reaction or slow it with all the fuel pebbles being so close. I assume boron moderator maybe ?

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Thats pretty wild having no containment vessel and still being basically a PWR/BWR combo....Hard to believe no refuel for 60 years. Id like to see how they constrain the reaction or slow it with all the fuel pebbles being so close. I assume boron moderator maybe ?
    Boron moderator would mean a positive mtc which is not good, thats why we use water. Negative mtc is what keeps reactors inheritantly stable.

The XE prototype has the fuel being the first fission product barrier.

Last edited:

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Boron moderator would mean a positive mtc which is not good, thats why we use water. Negative mtc is what keeps reactors inheritantly stable.

The XE prototype has the fuel being the first fission product barrier.
    I'm aware, when you say "we" I am part of "we." Then without control rods and a non linear assembly of these new pellets how do you isolate the reaction ? Unless its a fluid (since it will be inert gas filled) how do you moderate ? Water obviously wont.

Sort of a play on words. The carbon shell isnt exactly a product barrier as much as it is a transport case. Nice it has no zirconium and wont react with water and turn into hydrogen gas though. No boom there.

Last edited:

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    I'm aware, when you say "we" I am part of "we." Then without control rods and a non linear assembly of these new pellets how do you isolate the reaction ? Unless its a fluid (since it will be inert gas filled) how do you moderate ? Water obviously wont.

Sort of a play on words. The carbon shell isnt exactly a product barrier as much as it is a transport case. Nice it has no zirconium and wont react with water and turn into hydrogen gas though. No boom there.

Based on the X-Energy website, I think it's all in the fuel and fuel delivery. It isn't stationary in the pot. I used the term "we" for the same reason.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Based on the X-Energy website, I think it's all in the fuel and fuel delivery. It isn't stationary in the pot. I used the term "we" for the same reason.

Yup, but I still cant see how they slow/stop the reaction. There has to be a either chemical/physical/material method to move the pellets away or isolate from each other...Once they are irradiated they cant just sit against each other. I am curious on that point.

Um yea, you didnt reference a negative mtc without being involved :)

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom