Ebony Job

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    I decided I didn't appreciate the roadrash, lousy color or shape and feel of the stock on my Savage 110. I went ahead and striped the whole thing, streamlined the shape and seriously improved it's feel. During the process I decided a lowly stained beech stock wasn't enough. So I went ahead and shot for the "classic sporter" look.

Below is the new color along with the ebony cap and maple shim I added.

Since it's a 300 Win Mag I added a limbsaver recoil pad in place of the origional hematoma pad. Removed 1/2' from the butt due to the extra thickness. Then I poured a 1/2lb of lead shot into the butt stock and cemented it in with C/A.

Now I need to find a good deal on a piece of glass that is worthy of the Mag!

ki64lmvla8k4gwfp2vps.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

hornetguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Allen, Texas
    that is a REALLY nice job. Until you've tried to put on a forend piece, you can't appreciate all the little details that have to be seen to, in order to turn out an acceptable looking result. Ebony is difficult to work with, in the first place.
    VERY nice job. :thumbsup:

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Pics of whole gun please!!!!

Thanks y'all!!! N'joy! I need to get my hands on some checkering tools to get rid of the glossyness in the checkering. The scope is a Red Head that i don't think will hold up to the Mag and I still need a rear Leupold Flat-Top mount. Right now I have the Leupold round-top rear mound shimmed with some 1/8" steel spacer rings.

wdjagzxapyssio0mw8.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

h6yscrciw2eofciyf1.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    nice work on the stock!

pardon my potential ignorance here but is the front scope mount in the back or vice versa and/or is the one currently in the rear just backwards?

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    nice work on the stock!

pardon my potential ignorance here but is the front scope mount in the back or vice versa and/or is the one currently in the rear just backwards?

It can go either way. I googled images and there was an even mix. If was the correct height it seemed like it could interfere with the bolt so I opted for the forward position. Shells still load and eject fine in that config. But, it really does not matter since that's the wrong mount and will disappear when I get the right one...

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.4%
    27   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    All that work on the front and you put a slip-on pad on it? Limbsaver makes several sizes of grind to fit pad in addition to the factory replacement options.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    All that work on the front and you put a slip-on pad on it? Limbsaver makes several sizes of grind to fit pad in addition to the factory replacement options.

You're absolutely right! That is my ultimate plan. Until my wife gets out of nursing school I'm on a major budget. I opted for the cheapest one which was the $20 slip on from Wally World.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I was thinking about putting a grind-to-fit pad on one of mine. after watching the guy at the shoe repair shop here trim a few if the soft rubber soles that he had replaced / glued on earlier, I think I may ask him to do it. he was quick and it was very even; looked like new. the machine he used was a big part of it with a sanding wheel big enough to cover the entire thing in one pass.

Top Bottom