EDC Light

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    So I’ve been carrying a Streamlight ProTac2L for at least 10 years and it’s been a great light. However I’ve been wanting to get something rechargeable so I decided to give the Streamlight Macrostream a try.

What are you guys carrying?

Attachments

• C2899B40-6FDF-4F95-84D9-E38DF556AB21.jpeg
      C2899B40-6FDF-4F95-84D9-E38DF556AB21.jpeg
      395.2 KB · Views: 82

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    My comment comes with some bias because I make EDC handhelds, but here's my setup:

I carry two handhelds -- an admin light (size matters) and a defensive light (performance matters).

I live with a Streamlight Microstream USB clipped to my pocket. This is my 24/7 ride or die, and easily the most used thing that I carry around with me. I want a bit of chutzpah here but size is the name of the game. I've recently been test-driving the Cloud Defensive Chicro which is ridiculous performance out of a chapstick-sized light, but I still like the Microstream better.

I carry a bigger 18650 handheld with BDE when I go out at night: I want 1000+ lumens and 40k+ candela** so I can melt a shadow from 100+ yards away. For me it's of course the Beaver, but the Modlite PHLv2 and Cloud Defensive MCH also fit this bill perfectly.

Many guys carry one do-it-all light usually with variable output, but this is the setup that has been working best for me for the last couple years because I'm very protective of my pocket real estate.

I don't personally have much application for a high-lumen low-candela light, which is the majority of products you see under $100 in the flashlight industry bragging about lumens. Something like the ProTac HL for example has 1000 lumens, which sounds great, but only 12k candela -- it's a floodlight and does well if you're not looking farther than the end of your driveway, but not very impactful if you're trying to stretch it out. Perfect for indoor use or on a home defense rifle.

** For anyone who doesn't recognize this lingo, here's a parallel: Think of lumens as the amount of water coming out of a hose, and candela as the water pressure. Lumens is your running garden hose; candela is your thumb over the end... more candela thinner/longer stream; less candela wider/shorter stream.

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    My comment comes with some bias because I make EDC handhelds, but here's my setup:

I carry two handhelds -- an admin light (size matters) and a defensive light (performance matters).

I live with a Streamlight Microstream USB clipped to my pocket. This is my 24/7 ride or die, and easily the most used thing that I carry around with me. I want a bit of chutzpah here but size is the name of the game. I've recently been test-driving the Cloud Defensive Chicro which is ridiculous performance out of a chapstick-sized light, but I still like the Microstream better.

I carry a bigger 18650 handheld with BDE when I go out at night: I want 1000+ lumens and 40k+ candela** so I can melt a shadow from 100+ yards away. For me it's of course the Beaver, but the Modlite PHLv2 and Cloud Defensive MCH also fit this bill perfectly.

Many guys carry one do-it-all light usually with variable output, but this is the setup that has been working best for me for the last couple years because I'm very protective of my pocket real estate.

I don't personally have much application for a high-lumen low-candela light, which is the majority of products you see under $100 in the flashlight industry bragging about lumens. Something like the ProTac HL for example has 1000 lumens, which sounds great, but only 12k candela -- it's a floodlight and does well if you're not looking farther than the end of your driveway, but not very impactful if you're trying to stretch it out. Perfect for indoor use or on a home defense rifle.

** For anyone who doesn't recognize this lingo, here's a parallel: Think of lumens as the amount of water coming out of a hose, and candela as the water pressure. Lumens is your running garden hose; candela is your thumb over the end... more candela thinner/longer stream; less candela wider/shorter stream.
    First off congrats brother, very happy for you. I’ve been meaning to hit you up to get a few of your lights and will do so in the near future.

JBEsq3rd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2023
    Baton Rouge
    So I’ve been carrying a Streamlight ProTac2L for at least 10 years and it’s been a great light. However I’ve been wanting to get something rechargeable so I decided to give the Streamlight Macrostream a try.

What are you guys carrying?
    I have had several in the past. I’m always trying to find the right balance in size vs. lumens. I am currently using an O-Light I5T that was a gift from a friend. Granted this is not a rechargeable version but they do make them. I have always been a Surefire guy but they are super expensive. This light has me considering purchasing more from them. Check out the I5R.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      419.3 KB · Views: 52
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      424.8 KB · Views: 53

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    I carried the Protac 1L-1AA for years before I discovered the Streamlight Wedge. It carries better in my back pocket due to the flat shape. Like @Kee said earlier, this thing seems like it will hold a charge forever. I use it everyday, but can't remember the last time I charged it. The only area that the Protac scores higher for me is the fact that it takes either AA or CR123 batteries. If you were in a pinch AA batteries are available anywhere.

PXL_20230128_201937887.jpg

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    So I had 4 requirements when shopping for a new light.

1) Size had to be small enough to pocket carry but big enough to get a good grip on.
    2) Had to to have a Hi/Low function with it starting on Hi 1st.
    3) Ability to charge without removing the battery.
    4) Have a tailcap switch.

The Streamlight Macro fit the bill for me, now I’ll have to see if it passes the test of time.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Following what southerncanuck said, I carry either a Modlight or (now) the new Cloud Defense Chirco admin light.

I have used my Modlight hundreds, maybe even thousands of times for random ****. I also recognize the value of an admin light, so I recently gave the CD light a try and now for the past three weeks my EDC has looked like this:

A) If I know I will only be out during the day and will be home before night time - admin light only.

B) If I know I will be out at night or there is a potential that I will be out at night - Modlight.

juicemann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2023
    New Orleans
    I am on a weird quest to buy American whenever possible . I did a lot of research before I settled on this EDC flashlight. Surefire Sidekick. Great quality , tiny but powerful light. Has a high and low mode and is rechargeable without removing battery. Will easily fit in pocket or on keychain. It was under $30 bucks. Made in USA. Only minor issue I have with it , it is not usb c. Old school usb charger not a deal breaker by any means.

Attachments

• IMG_1872.jpeg
      IMG_1872.jpeg
      383.9 KB · Views: 46
    • IMG_1873.jpeg
      IMG_1873.jpeg
      335.8 KB · Views: 44
    Top Bottom