Electronic hearing protection

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Very much personal preference between the in-ears and over-ears. If you're normally into the type of headphones that work by retention inside the ear canal you'd probably like these.

The only in-ears I've tried are the Walker Razor XV... fantastic set of ear pro if you're into that style, I assume it's pretty comparable to these Sig ones. Really wanted to love them, because they're a lot cooler in the summer than the big cans, but find this style super uncomfortable and annoying... just personal preference.

In the over-ear department, I've tried Howard Leight Impact Sport, Howard Leight Impact Pro, Walker Razor, Walker Ultimate Power Muff, and Peltor Sport Tac 500. Only the Peltors remain, and I'm super happy with them (particularly after adding gel cups and a padded headband wrap). You really do get what you pay for with these things, especially if you plan on wearing them for hours at a time.

snake doctor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    NOLA
    I shot a good bit of clays (w/o hearing protection), listened to some really loud music, worked around loud machinery, and had a bit of childhood lead exposure. I'm trying to save what's left of my hearing. I tried over-ear protection but it did not work well for conversations in the duck blind. I was interested if the in-ear models really enhanced low dB noise while suppressing high dB gun and other noise.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Very much personal preference between the in-ears and over-ears. If you're normally into the type of headphones that work by retention inside the ear canal you'd probably like these.

The only in-ears I've tried are the Walker Razor XV... fantastic set of ear pro if you're into that style, I assume it's pretty comparable to these Sig ones. Really wanted to love them, because they're a lot cooler in the summer than the big cans, but find this style super uncomfortable and annoying... just personal preference.

In the over-ear department, I've tried Howard Leight Impact Sport, Howard Leight Impact Pro, Walker Razor, Walker Ultimate Power Muff, and Peltor Sport Tac 500. Only the Peltors remain, and I'm super happy with them (particularly after adding gel cups and a padded headband wrap). You really do get what you pay for with these things, especially if you plan on wearing them for hours at a time.
    Ever Shot a magnum pistol with these? I have been looking into this for years to shoot deer with a 44mag revolver. Also how long can you wear them and can you hear normal until you shoot?

pandabear

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    May 1, 2014
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Ever Shot a magnum pistol with these? I have been looking into this for years to shoot deer with a 44mag revolver. Also how long can you wear them and can you hear normal until you shoot?
    Obviously you have to have ear protection while sighting in ! But I've been hunting with 454 Casull, and 45-70 Contener for years without ever having any hearing protections.. I've never once remember the sounds effecting me!

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Obviously you have to have ear protection while sighting in ! But I've been hunting with 454 Casull, and 45-70 Contener for years without ever having any hearing protections.. I've never once remember the sounds effecting me!
    No way I am shooting a revolver with out hearing protection. Esp a Magnum. I shot a 357 once without protection and thought I shot myself. Ears rang for a week.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    I'm thinking that just because one does not "notice" the sound due to the adrenaline spike when shooting game does not mean that physical damage to hearing is not occurring. (No, I'm not a EMT - but I was an amateur gynecologist in college.)
    I notice. I have a AR10 with a 16" Barrel. Shot it in a deer stand last year and it was awful. Going to be interesting to see how these work.

southerncanuck

Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Not sure exactly which set you were asking about, but I've shot a 44mag with the Peltor 500's outdoors and it's fine. I've worn these for 6 hours comfortably. The gel ear pads and headband wrap really help.

The benefit of the electronic (vs passive) ear pro is that you can carry on a normal conversation and regular volume with them on, but they activate at a certain decibel level to clip out gunfire.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Not sure exactly which set you were asking about, but I've shot a 44mag with the Peltor 500's outdoors and it's fine. I've worn these for 6 hours comfortably. The gel ear pads and headband wrap really help.

The benefit of the electronic (vs passive) ear pro is that you can carry on a normal conversation and regular volume with them on, but they activate at a certain decibel level to clip out gunfire.
    I was referring to the ear bud type like in the original post.

southerncanuck

Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    I was referring to the ear bud type like in the original post.
    Website says they're 29 NRR which would be fine for most gunfire outdoors.

Most electronic over-ears are in the 22-27 NRR range, and the cheap little foamie things are usually 29-33 NRR.

pptpe45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    I can't speak for the Sig but I have several pair of Walker hearing protectors. I have the VX and the VX 3.0 ear buds. They do a great job of blocking the impulse noise from shooting. I am almost deaf so I have to wear hearing aids. With these I was able to remove my hearing aids and put these in my ears. The VX worked great at allowing me to hear range commands and blocking shooting noise. Then they quit working. Walker sent me the VX 3.0 to replace them (they were under warranty). Could not hear people talking over the back ground noise and have been unable to adjust to filter out the background without removing the nearer sounds (people talking). Walker sent me a replacement set of the VX and now they do the same thing as the VX 3.0. I think it's a software problem. But I will say that Walker's customer service was wonderful. After posting a negative comment about the VX 3.0, they were contacting me thru the retailer I bought them from. Now I also have a pair of Walker Razor Slim ear muffs. They work great! Block noise and I can hear people talking clearly. I look at db reduction rating when purchasing hearing protection. The ear buds seem to provide better protection than muffs and less bulky when shooting rifles but the ear buds can cause some ear canal soreness after extended periods of wearing.

snake doctor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    NOLA
    Was out shooting clays recently and used the Sig ear protection. It was a little difficult to get them placed in my ears, but they did a good job of dampening the noise. I'd recommend taking a look at these if you are in the market for hearing protection.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    I can't tolerate the in the ear devices except for the typical work place style soft foam. Just too annoying for me, and the foam is no good for hearing range commands or others talking.

I have a pair of relatively inexpensive Caldwell electronics muffs that work just fine for me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom