engine rebuilds

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    Advance Auto Repair in Kenner
    Carlos is my neighbor and they work on lots of Toyotas. Including my Sienna.
    504-469-0888

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk

Rocko68

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 27, 2019
    New Orleans, La
    How far down are you wanting to build? Would you remove and deliver the engine yourself or have a shop do the R & I along with the rebuild?
    Darr Engine Services has been a go to for engine rebuilding for many years if you are planning to remove the engine yourself.

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    Wow that name brings back some good memories.. is Darr still around. My cousin had a 383 stroker built there for his 68 Camaro in the '80's Traded in the stock 302 plus cash. That was one badazzz mofo.

Really looking for a turn key job.

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Not sure if he can help but Steve Nicoll Racing Engines in Tickfaw does great work and Steve is a great guy. He has done several engines for me both racing and non racing.

https://www.facebook.com/SteveNicollRacingEnt

I did not know he moved. Thought he was closed up like all the old timers.
    He does top notch work. My buddy used to clean all his blocks and heads at RediStrip in Kenner. They changed the name to Kenner Rust and Removal Systems before closing.
    I have used Steve, Shreeve but is now closed and now use Jones who is another old school guy.
    Heavy and Jimmy are great with race stuff as well. They like doing head's and do plenty if them and port work as well.

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Anyone know where I can get a 4.7 V8 Toyota rebuilt/ worked on. Think the heads warped after a overheating incident

No shadetree mechanics

Might want to price a used engine 1st... I have swapped a few and it was generally cheaper to just put a used engine it, than pay someone to started taking yours apart in the car...

car-part.com is a good resource to find used parts, including engines. At least you will have some prices in mind, may help you make a decision. You can sort the results by distance, and by price. If you sort by price, scroll down and find the page number listing, the lowest price will be on the page with the asterisk. Calling the phone number listed is the best way to get info, and some of these recyclers may require a core, some may not. Also, some offer a warranty, ask about that too.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I brought a Chevy small block to Shreeve to be bored and honed. I asked for .0315 oversize for some .030 over pistons. I could not get the pistons in the cylinders they were only .0285 over. They grudgingly redid the job but blamed it on me for not giving them the the pistons to measure. Also tried to say the bores would open up after the heads were bolted on, yea without the pistons in them. Last time brought anything to them.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I brought a Chevy small block to Shreeve to be bored and honed. I asked for .0315 oversize for some .030 over pistons. I could not get the pistons in the cylinders they were only .0285 over. They grudgingly redid the job but blamed it on me for not giving them the the pistons to measure. Also tried to say the bores would open up after the heads were bolted on, yea without the pistons in them. Last time brought anything to them.

I worked in a building right around the corner from them and knew the Old Man and Ronnie as well as the really old guy who did the port work but can not remember his name.
    When the Dad retired his son took over and things went downhill over time as the good guys left one by one then closed up. Not saying you are wrong. But no way would I have a block bored or honed without the pistons. The right way to do it is boring then finish honed to size. Also, rings should be fitted to the bore. At least stick a ring in each hole at the top and bottom and see what the gap is. Do not just put them on the pistons and put them in. Because you always check taper from top to bottom of the bore as well in each hole you never know what they did. You can file just about any rings. I had to use file fit rings in the last build they were Speed-Pro file fit rings. As hardly anyone made rings required

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I have all the mikes and bore gauges and tools necessary to build engines. I raced dirt track for a number of years and built my own engines, never had one fail. Measurements are measurements, I measured each piston before I arrived at the size I wanted the cylinders bored. I don't think they would have measured any different if Shreve had measured them. When I got the block back I measured each cylinder top to bottom every 90 degrees to make sure I got what I asked for, I didn't get it. Part of building racing engines is double measuring everything and then measure again.

Top Bottom